Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Donskoy had a massive arse collapse against Federer, saved match points in the second set, was well down in the 3rd set, then came back to serve for the match at 6-5 and lost his service game to love. Still hanging on in the tie break.

Just goes to show you how unpredictable tennis is right now, or at least it seems to be. Great chance for Andy to get his first title of 2017 on the board with both Stan and Federer now out, though.

Djokovic v del Potro later in Acapulco as well.

The Scot had been laid low with a bout of shingles following the Australian Open, and revealed that it was his mother-in-law, Leonore Sears, who diagnosed the problem.
"I had a little bit of a rash from my bum round to my stomach," said Murray.
"It wasn't terrible. Normally if you have a little bit of a rash and you scratch it it feels better. With that it was really, really painful.
"I didn't think much of it at the beginning, but it was actually my wife's mum (who diagnosed it).
"We were having dinner and I said 'this is really irritating me' and she was like 'pull your pants down and show me, it might be shingles' and I was like 'OK'.
"And then the next day I got the doctor and she was right

Hmmm mother in law demands he pulls his pants down.....Sounds totally legit....

Andy lost the first set to Kohlschreiber on a tie-break, 7-4. He's just won the second on a tie-break 20-18! Kohlschreiber having the game of his life, you keep waiting on his levels dropping but it hasn't happened yet.

Indeed.

Guys like Kohlschreiber, and Verdasco who Murray could play in the final, always seem to be more of a danger I feel than many other players ranked higher than them.

That match was just unbelievable quality.  Kohlschreiber was hitting absolute bombs in that first two sets from both his forehand and backhand.  Murray's defence as always is just too good.  No surprise to see that his seven match points saved is a record for Murray.  His previous best was saving five (twice against Tommy Robredo in finals a few weeks apart).  The match point saved at 9-8 in the tie breaker was sublime.

Here it is in a gif:

lbpjNsa.gif

He goes on to play Pouille, who he copes with rather easily at times.  Murray will recover easier than Pouille who had an equally touch match against Federer's conqueror.  Is the final on Saturday or Sunday?  The final should be entertaining no matter who goes through.  I am wanting Verdasco to get through in the other semi final.  He has been playing superbly this year.

Murray on that drop shot:

“That was probably the worst decision I made in the whole match. Look, it paid off, but if I was coaching someone, I certainly wouldn't tell them to try a shot like that,” revealed Murray. “Maybe when the ball's a bit higher, it's easier, but it was off a slice, and I was running around the ball. It was literally the most extreme angle possible. There’s a lot of luck involved in that shot.”