Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

23 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Fair play Osaka, the new Serena...stay injury free and she dominates for years

Yep. A pretty standard victory for her against an inferior player.  Her serve was crisp and was catching lines all game.  Her backhand was brilliant as usual. 

She’ll get double figures I reckon.

As good as Osaka is on hard courts, she really struggles on the natural surfaces.  She is without a doubt the best woman's player at the moment and will win many more on hard.  Just needs to transition to clay and grass.  She was wonderful today, made it look so easy, and as thescarf said her backhand is pure money.  It could have been all over against Muguruza, but was able to dig deep as well.  Fully deserved and that's her on four now and that was her first final against someone who wasn't a slam champion.

Brady's only chance was to serve well and she didn't do that at all.

Murray to face Egor Gerasimov in the first round in France.  Will play Bedene or Sinner after that.  Then potentially Hubert Herkacz in the QF Goffin in Sf and  Bautista Agut in the final.

Decent chance for a run if he plays well although Sinner in the second round will beat him on current form and it won’t be close.

There is something inevitable about Djokovic, to beat him you have to play your absolute best and hope that he doesn't play that well.  The level of tennis that he reached quite comfortably knowing this was best of five, was remarkable.  Medvedev floundered and couldn't use anything to get going again.  Medvedev return position was easily exploitable as time after time Novak went a big serve down the T and he could return or if he did it would drop short for Novak to pick up a winner.

Nadal will win the French, Novak Wimbledon and then we have it all to play for in the US Open.  Where the likes of the other players have a genuine chance to win.  Thiem has an opportunity at the French but considering the lesson he gave Novak there last time out, I am not convinced anyone gets close to Nadal on clay again if he is well.

Pretty disappointing final, felt Djokovic didn’t have to get out of third gear. Too one sided, the next generation have a long way to go.
Its now inevitable that Djokovic and Rafa will overtake Fed in the all time grand slam table. Got a suspicion Novak will end up with the most when they’re all retired, he’s an absolute machine and you feel his body is going to last longer than Nadal’s.

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Loki said:
Of the last 11 Wimbledon’s he’s won five, if that doesn’t make him a king I’m not sure what does.

Not disputing that, didn't actually know it was that much tbh, but level below his dominance at Oz and Nadals dominance at French though.

Novak 5, Murray 2*, Federer 2, Nadal 1 plus one not held.  It's dominance on a surface that isn't his favourite.  Three of the titles he achieved by beating Federer the grass court GOAT.  Cameron2000's point is spot on, he is the King of Australia and Wimbledon in the last 11 years.

The thing about Djokovic is that his serve is getting better and better (soooo accurate) - with the next gen’s lack of experience/variation on grass it’s really difficult to see him not winning there this year.

I expect Federer to struggle in general now but definitely wouldn’t put it beyond him to reach the later stages of Wimbledon once more.

Nadal to me looks very suspect in any match that goes beyond a 3rd set - luckily for him he’s the best at finishing matches in 3. I think someone could beat him at the French this year by out lasting him (last year I remember thinking things could have got very interesting v Schwartzman and Djokovic if they’d nicked a set)

Novak 5, Murray 2*, Federer 2, Nadal 1 plus one not held.  It's dominance on a surface that isn't his favourite.  Three of the titles he achieved by beating Federer the grass court GOAT.  Cameron2000's point is spot on, he is the King of Australia and Wimbledon in the last 11 years.
Fair point and you can only play what's in front of you, but I do feel Murray may have had a couple more of them if not injured. That can't be said for Oz and Paris imo.

4 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

The thing about Djokovic is that his serve is getting better and better (soooo accurate) - with the next gen’s lack of experience/variation on grass it’s really difficult to see him not winning there this year.

I expect Federer to struggle in general now but definitely wouldn’t put it beyond him to reach the later stages of Wimbledon once more.

Nadal to me looks very suspect in any match that goes beyond a 3rd set - luckily for him he’s the best at finishing matches in 3. I think someone could beat him at the French this year by out lasting him (last year I remember thinking things could have got very interesting v Schwartzman and Djokovic if they’d nicked a set)

Novak has specifically taken coaches on to make improvements.  The appointment of Becker and then Ivanisevic was solely to get his serve better.  To me he is already the best in this era irrespective of slam count.  But his serve just gets better.

I agree to a certain extent with Nadal he may get out lasted, but he had an issue with his back leading up to this and couldn’t train.  Conditioning wasn’t peak. Plus his weapons are just made for clay.  Plus if he’s written off he’ll just play better, and as you say won’t need the fourth and fifth sets anyway.

I was bored this afternoon and went back and watched Djokovic against Murray and then Nadal in 2012.  Men’s tennis peaked right there.

Just now, Loki said:

Novak has specifically taken coaches on to make improvements.  The appointment of Becker and then Ivanisevic was solely to get his serve better.  To me he is already the best in this era irrespective of slam count.  But his serve just gets better.

I agree to a certain extent with Nadal he may get out lasted, but he had an issue with his back leading up to this and couldn’t train.  Conditioning wasn’t peak. Plus his weapons are just made for clay.  Plus if he’s written off he’ll just play better, and as you say won’t need the fourth and fifth sets anyway.

I was bored this afternoon and went back and watched Djokovic against Murray and then Nadal in 2012.  Men’s tennis peaked right there.

Watched the highlights, if I watched the full things and I’d still be watching now 😂

19 hours ago, Loki said:

Watched the highlights, if I watched the full things and I’d still be watching now 😂

I recently watched Murray's full 2012 and 2016 Olympic finals.  What a game v Del Potro in 2016.

However, if I were to pick my personal favourite 'greatest ever' match, it would be Federer v Roddick Wimbledon final...

I thought Roddick played the greatest tennis I've ever seen for 1.9999 sets 😀  I know many that think Federer v Nadal, was the greatest Wimbledon, I think you could also argue Federer v Nole (when Nole painted a line with a winner at match point down), but for me it will always be Roddick v Federer.

Oh, and being truly sad I re-watched Marray v Wawrinka,at Antwerp, where Murray was 3-6, 1-3 down and facing two break points, but somehow came back to win!  I didn't realise just how much pain he was in...  What an effort that was!

Yours, he blubbed, I blubbed, every-hoor blubbed.

aDONis

I recently watched Murray's full 2012 and 2016 Olympic finals.  What a game v Del Potro in 2016.
However, if I were to pick my personal favourite 'greatest ever' match, it would be Federer v Roddick Wimbledon final...
I thought Roddick played the greatest tennis I've ever seen for 1.9999 sets [emoji3]  I know many that think Federer v Nadal, was the greatest Wimbledon, I think you could also argue Federer v Nole (when Nole painted a line with a winner at match point down), but for me it will always be Roddick v Federer.
Oh, and being truly sad I re-watched Marray v Wawrinka,at Antwerp, where Murray was 3-6, 1-3 down and facing two break points, but somehow came back to win!  I didn't realise just how much pain he was in...  What an effort that was!
Yours, he blubbed, I blubbed, every-hoor blubbed.
aDONis

Murray won Antwerp with a metal hip - he wasn’t in bad pain at this point

I also think the Nadal Novak semi final from 2018 was sublime.

I guess at some point once Murray retires I will have to do some kind of greatest hits compilation through the years from this thread.

My favourite ever Murray match was when he played Sontoro at Wimbledon.  Sontoro was Murray’s favourite players, so they just indulged in trick shots.