Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

My favourite ever Murray match was the 2013 Miami Masters final v Ferrer.

It was one set all in the grueling southern heat and Ferrer had a match point at 6-5 on Murray's serve, he Scot hit a deep forehand and Ferrer stopped and challenged.  Hawkeye confirmed it caught the line and the Spaniard visibly broke down, dropping to his knees.  Murray went on to with the game and then won the tiebreak 7-1 to clinch the title.

These 4 minute highlights don't so it justice.

My favourite ever Murray match was the 2013 Miami Masters final v Ferrer.
It was one set all in the grueling southern heat and Ferrer had a match point at 6-5 on Murray's serve, he Scot hit a deep forehand and Ferrer stopped and challenged.  Hawkeye confirmed it caught the line and the Spaniard visibly broke down, dropping to his knees.  Murray went on to with the game and then won the tiebreak 7-1 to clinch the title.
These 4 minute highlights don't so it justice.

Vividly remember that game, it was an utter classic, my heart did go out to Ferrer mind! Always hovered around 4-6 in world but just wasnt at the level of the ones above. Think he may have made a French Open final once but ehhhh. Nadal. (Could be wrong there)

We may as well all get the highlight reels together, as he’s done. 😭

The intensity isn’t there anymore.  The shots are improving, and I think he will be competitive, but he just can’t defend like he did.

Go get Magnus Norman and come out swinging, and at least go out with a bang.

Rotterdam draw is out - Murray seeded to face Robin Haase in Round 1, Bublik Round 2, David Goffin QF Tsistsipas SF and Medvedev F.

Good luck Andy, you’ll need it 😂

My prediction a win against Haase and a tight first set against Bublik.  

On 23/02/2021 at 21:13, Loki said:

We may as well all get the highlight reels together, as he’s done. 😭

The intensity isn’t there anymore.  The shots are improving, and I think he will be competitive, but he just can’t defend like he did.

Go get Magnus Norman and come out swinging, and at least go out with a bang.

You walloper.

Plays a great match today, even in the set he lost 6-2 he played pretty well, a few errors made the difference.  Became stronger as the match went on and took the second set in the tie break.

Third set started badly with a surrendering of his serve by his unforced errors.  3-0 down in the final set he ups his level to close out the match 6-3.

If he can take that level against Rublev (in my post above I said Bublik, that’s wrong) he might have a chance.

Roller coaster match. Enjoyed it. Felt like he was hitting the ball more confidently. 

I don't care if he doesn't get far in this comeback. I'm just happy he's back playing and I'm sure he is just happy to be playing as well. 

Up to 64th in the singles race. If he can get into the top 50 by the end of the year that's a great success in my book.

I think Murray’s days of winning big tournaments and going deep in slams is over but if he enjoying himself out there then good for him. Find the comments urging him to retire quite distasteful tbh.

Would like to see him play doubles full time with Jamie but he doesn’t seem keen.

I think Murray’s days of winning big tournaments and going deep in slams is over but if he enjoying himself out there then good for him. Find the comments urging him to retire quite distasteful tbh.

Would like to see him play doubles full time with Jamie but he doesn’t seem keen.
Planning on playing together in Aberdeen in December.

Battle of the Brits: Andy and Jamie Murray team up in Scotland v England - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/56205121

Not sure Jamie would be all that keen either, he seems to do pretty well with Bruno Soares.

Murray dismantled with ease... Wild card for Queens, then Wimbledon..and hang up your absolutely superb career. Scotland's finest ever sportsperson!!

He competed very well and was quite close to taking the first set against the number 1 player in the world at ATP 500’s at the moment. His movement looked very good actually it was just unforced errors that crept in but that will improve with time - not a quick process.

He also said after the match he still believes he can win Wimbledon and I’m quite confident he won’t be requiring a wild-card.

22 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Murray dismantled with ease... Wild card for Queens, then Wimbledon..and hang up your absolutely superb career. Scotland's finest ever sportsperson!!

Dismantled with ease?  You didn’t watch the match.  A lack of belief and unforced errors cost him.

It was a massive improvement from the challenger.  Murray will retire when he wants to.  He will get wild cards to any tournament he wants, and in a couple of months he will not need wild cards.

Dismantled with ease?  You didn’t watch the match.  A lack of belief and unforced errors cost him.
It was a massive improvement from the challenger.  Murray will retire when he wants to.  He will get wild cards to any tournament he wants, and in a couple of months he will not need wild cards.
Eh I did, and he was second best throughout. ... I'm quite happy to put a ten quid charity of choice bet on with you....... assuming Murray plays Wimbledon...he won't make it past 3rd round...
Deal?

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Eh I did, and he was second best throughout. ... I'm quite happy to put a ten quid charity of choice bet on with you....... assuming Murray plays Wimbledon...he won't make it past 3rd round...
Deal?

So you’re giving me an Evens money shot at Murray beating two seeded players to make the second week of Wimbledon pre draw?  Are you McBookie?  And to top it all off you’re only laying a tenner?

😂😂😂😂😂

Yep a former world number 1 can walk into any tennis tournament venue he wants and say 'I'll be playing in this one lads'  and the organisers will bend over for them.

FWIW, I think he makes the 2nd week of Wimbledon this year.  There's still only 2 in the world better than him on the green stuff IMO.  Lack of match practice will be his downfall.  I don't think he goes deep at the spring American hard court swing or the clay.

So you’re giving me an Evens money shot at Murray beating two seeded players to make the second week of Wimbledon pre draw?  Are you McBookie?  And to top it all off you’re only laying a tenner?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'll take that as a no then.
You know it's ok for people to have different opinions from yourself.

34 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I'll take that as a no then.
You know it's ok for people to have different opinions from yourself.

If you are going to offer more than an evens shot and increase your stake, I am sure we can come to an accord.  

But an Evens shot to get through three matches including matches against two seeds pre draw, no thanks.

I will take a tenner and roll it over each match Murray plays until the fourth round.  If he loses I will match the stake lost to your charity.  If he gets to the fourth you will have to match the total winnings and stake to my charity.