Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Wawrinka has turned into an awful tennis player. He can't deal with the added pressure of being a Grand Slam champion and the expectation of winning that comes with it, plus he has to deal with the pressure of being the man to help Roger Federer win the Davis Cup. On this form France will win all three rubbers Wawrinka plays in.

By winning today and Wawrinka losing we have seen Andy Murray gain 270 points on Wawrinka in the world rankings. Murray is in good shape to attack Djokovic tomorrow. If he was to make the final and as long as Berdych was not to win the tournament, then he would return to number four in the world on Monday.

Nishikori will also have his eye in the number four slot. I can't see Wawrinka winning a match in the round robin phase at WTF so he would drop another 400 points. After Australia he will be in danger of dropping out of the top ten. After Monte Carlo he could be back to his normal ranking of 15-20.

As for the WTF qualification I think the last two spots will go to Ferrer and Berdych. Berdych is bound to beat Anderson again (11 meetings 11 wins) and Ferrer will have to dig deep to beat Nishikori. A defeat for Raonic against Federer will assure qualification for both Ferrer and Berdych, so I hope the organisers have the decency to put Federer on last in case either decide to tank the match.

Djokovic wins 6-3 7-6.

The schedule for tomorrow is

COURT CENTRAL Start 2:00 pm (Paris Time)

Tomas Berdych v Kevin Anderson

Not Before 3:30 pm

Milos Raonic v Roger Federer

Not Before 7:30 pm

Novak Djokovic v Andy Murray

Not Before 8:30 pm

David Ferrer v Kei Nishikori

Wawrinka has turned into an awful tennis player. He can't deal with the added pressure of being a Grand Slam champion and the expectation of winning that comes with it, plus he has to deal with the pressure of being the man to help Roger Federer win the Davis Cup. On this form France will win all three rubbers Wawrinka plays in.

By winning today and Wawrinka losing we have seen Andy Murray gain 270 points on Wawrinka in the world rankings. Murray is in good shape to attack Djokovic tomorrow. If he was to make the final and as long as Berdych was not to win the tournament, then he would return to number four in the world on Monday.

Nishikori will also have his eye in the number four slot. I can't see Wawrinka winning a match in the round robin phase at WTF so he would drop another 400 points. After Australia he will be in danger of dropping out of the top ten. After Monte Carlo he could be back to his normal ranking of 15-20.

As for the WTF qualification I think the last two spots will go to Ferrer and Berdych. Berdych is bound to beat Anderson again (11 meetings 11 wins) and Ferrer will have to dig deep to beat Nishikori. A defeat for Raonic against Federer will assure qualification for both Ferrer and Berdych, so I hope the organisers have the decency to put Federer on last in case either decide to tank the match.

It's crazy! Wawrinka has so much potential. One of the best backhands in the game if it is working.

Hope Ferrer qualifies. He deserves to be there just for his determination. One of my favorite players after Murray.

Edited by The-coo-shed

It's crazy! Wawrinka has so much potential. One of the best backhands in the game if it is working.

Hope Ferrer qualifies. He deserves to be there just for his determination. One of my favorite players after Murray.

It was the match he played against Gasquet in the French Open either last year or the year before that, both one handed back hands were magnificent, and the angles they were pinging them back and forth at each other was incredible. I think Gasquet's is better, but Wawrinka generates more power with his so gets more winners. Wawrinka's over reliance on his back hand holds him back to a certain extent especially when he starts erroring with it, and he continues to go with his back hand. Especially now when he is out of form. Even in the press conference he just looked like a broken man.

You could see his mental fragility even in the Australian Open final when he allowed an immobile Nadal to get a set. Any top player would have forced a retiral from Nadal, but Nadal knew that even half fit he might just sneak a win.

No but he has retired when two sets and breaks down before in slams. If it was Murray, Djokovic or Federer he would retire before giving them a clean win. He has such a low opinion of Wawrinka that he thought he might turn the game around despite being injured. Wawrinka had never taken a set against him before that match.

On to this match and Murray chucks in a bad service game when 6-5 down in the first set. In is first service game in the second set he find himself 0-40 down, and uses his deep defensive slice to peg Djokovic to deuce and then digs deep to hold. Murray is doing well but to beat Novak he really needs to get greater than 60% first serves in, as he is winning far more points on first serve than Novak is. He still has a chance.

Edited to add: Murray carves out his first break points of the match and duly takes the game. 2-1 with Murray to serve, just shows what a huge hold that was for Murray.

Edited by Loki

fair point. I was working and missed the final so I'm not going to argue any more.

break back unfortunately.

Murray has kept up with him after a fairly gruelling last month or so. Come the world tour finals he could do some damage. Hopefully he will finally win it. although he tends to do play poorly in it.

Break down now. After giving Djokovic the double break. Novak didn't even have to play that well sadly, maybe the fatigue has finally caught up with Murray.

Third break for Djokovic in a row and Djokovic seals the match in straight sets. Looking forward to seeing the draw for the O2 now. Hopefully Nishikori wins against Ferrer as he has been playing some of the best aggressive tennis this season.

Edited by Loki

With Djokovic easily beating Raonic in the Master Final, the seeding for the WTF is completed. Murray will be seeded 5th and as a result can not be drawn against the 6th seeded Berdych.

The seedings are as follows:

Top Pot - Djokovic (1), Federer (2)

Second Pot - Wawrinka (3), Nishikori (4)

Third Pot - Murray (5), Berdych (6)

Fourth Pot - Raonic (7), Cilic (8.)

If Nadal was fit and competing Raonic's hard work to make the finals would have been in vain as Cilic would have taken his place. An ideal group for Murray would be Federer, Wawrinka and Cilic. Novak Djokovic hasn't been beaten on an indoor court in over two years and looks to be a cut above everyone right now.

The end of year rankings are very tight. Novak would have to have a complete disaster and Federer needs to win to clinch top spot. If any of the other contenders (apart from Cilic) were to win the title they would move above Nadal into 3rd place. With less than 400 points seperating Wawrinka to Raonic in 8th. Anything could happen rankings wise.

Edited to remove the stupid sunglasses. 8 and ) = 8)

Edited by Loki

Read up on the points and winning it might not be enough.

Each player gets 200 points for a win in the group stage. Then 400 for a win in the semi final, and a further 500 for winning in the final. So a total of 1500 points can be won. For any of the people 5th - 8th in the ranking they would need to win all their matches to overtake Nadal. Wawrinka can do it by losing a group game.