Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

0-6 third set :(

wtf's that about? :huh:

ok gonzalez is good but that shocking. :angry:

needs to get his finger out his arse and start playing proper top 10 tennis :angry:

i should point out, i'm not that bothered about him losing the set, these thing happen. its the nature and level of drop that is so frustrating! :angry::(:huh:

edit: and now john 'davis cup' lloyd and mark 'murrays former coach' petchy are making excuses. ooh they watered the court, oh his rackets wernt at the right tension. just start running the guy all over the shop!

for some reason -I think its the yellow t-shirt, gonzalez reminds me of that brazillian one from streetfighter -Branca is it?

Edited by theentomologist

Not the end of the world here.

He clearly doesn't have the power on clay yet and needs to develop his inside-out forehand 'cause Gonzo's was immense!

Murray is now coming up to the 2nd half of the season which he loves so it's onwards and upwards.

He can't win every match.

Goodbye to the dust :thumbsdown

Calm down man. He got further than he ever has at the French and it's on his weakest surface. Yes he got humped in ONE set but it's been a good tournament and I am sure he would have taken a quarter-final appearance if he was offered it at the start of the tournament.

I didn't see much of it (it was streaming on my pc but I wasn't paying much attention and it's difficult to see exactly what's going on with that anyway) but I'd guess when he lost a second break he probably gave it up rather than waste energy chasing it. He's done that before and people have done it against him. It's not the worst tactic ever.

Calm down man. He got further than he ever has at the French and it's on his weakest surface. Yes he got humped in ONE set but it's been a good tournament and I am sure he would have taken a quarter-final appearance if he was offered it at the start of the tournament.

I've calmed down a bit.

0-6 should not happen to players in top 10 though. <_<

this may have been one set but it rejuvenated his opponent just when he should have at least been competitive and had Gonzalez working for it. it made winning the 4th all but impossible. :(

no excuse for that 3rd set. :angry:

ah well, at least he can stop paying Coretja. ;)

onward to the grass i suppose. :D

Lads we are all being overcritical.

Gonzalez has won 8 out of his 11 tournaments on grass. (best surface), he is the world no. 12, a very good ranking, not too far behing andy.

Murray has never won a clay title, it is his weakest surface.

The stat that says it all is Murrray has played 38 clay court matches, Gonzalez has played 210, far, far, far more experianced on Clay and unfortunatly the better clay court player.

Lads we are all being overcritical.

Gonzalez has won 8 out of his 11 tournaments on grass. (best surface), he is the world no. 12, a very good ranking, not too far behind andy.

Murray has never won a clay title, it is his weakest surface.

The stat that says it all is Murrray has played 38 clay court matches, Gonzalez has played 210, far, far, far more experianced on Clay and unfortunatly the better clay court player.

no no no don't get me wrong. I'm not being overcritical :( , I'm being critical in a good way :) . He's the world number 3, thus he should be competitive enough to win v anyone below del potro on any surface.

its not too far, but it is 8 ranking places. <_<

gonzalez may be the better clay court player, but murray is the better tennis player. and should be able to find a way to win -the champions almost always do (nadal this week excepted).

now, yes, the q-final is progress, relatively, but given the context (nadal out etc) he should have been super up for this one and clearly wasn't. :(

but he lost, so it is in the past now, onward an upward. on to the grass. ;):):D

The bagel or loss to 1 sets are all too often for my liking. Shouldn't be happening but yet he throws one in in a stupidly high percentage of his matches.

Good progress but it's all too familiar to hear him say 'he was just too good'.

The bagel or loss to 1 sets are all too often for my liking. Shouldn't be happening but yet he throws one in in a stupidly high percentage of his matches.

That's only the second set that he has lost to love in a major since his Wimbledon breakthrough tournament.

Murray's ability lies in his all round consistent game and shotmaking. However, it does mean that whenever he comes up against someone who is performing at their absolute peak (Gonzalez today) he lacks something in being able to impose himself upon his opponent.

its not too far, but it is 8 ranking places

Much less than Soderling and Nadal. Or Soderling and Davydenko. Or that German bloke and Djokovic. Murray went out in far less convincing fashion than Djokovic did though.

gonzalez may be the better clay court player, but murray is the better tennis player.

And here's what makes Murray the better player. He has two courts in which he'd probably take Gonzalez. Gonzalez has one season in which he can get Murray and beat him.

now, yes, the q-final is progress, relatively, but given the context (nadal out etc) he should have been super up for this one and clearly wasn't

I think you're just being ridiculous now. Who's to say he wasn't up for it ? I reckon that there were times today that Murray did all he could. I'd actually say most of the time, he did, but there were times times that he made weird shot choices. Maybe being so up for it made him do things he'd normally not do under so much pressure ?

The q-final is progress, as you stated, and he has beaten some decent players on there. He came up against a powerhouse, and was unsurprisingly outpowered big time, more than anything else.