Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

*Puts tinfoil hat on*

If you look at the winners of the tournament over the last few years, you'll see how seriously the top players take it. Barring last year and 2009 perhaps.

They've moved it closer to London now though. It's a shame for the event - it's basically a big money event that the top players don't want to play in.

I think they are looking to move it elsewhere. Somewhere after the Australian Open would be best - nothing much happens for ages after that.

It's an absolute disgrace that a Masters series is just seen as a secondary tournament. Would love to see Llodra win it, there was one game against Murray in the Australian Open where both players played trick shots, and incredible shots to get the better off one another. Ever since then I have liked Llodra. I would like a tennis player like that to win rather than Ferrer. For some reason I hate Ferrer. He bores me to death. The same robotic patterns of play get used time and time again. I am not a fan of Federer's personality but his comments on Ferrer's game have deep sarcastic overtones, and I find them funny.

As H_B suggested moving the Paris Masters to just after the Australian, and moving 500 events to just before the ATP finals would make sense. It will be interesting to see what movements get made this close season in terms of the schedule for 2014. The 2013 schedule can't be changed now.

I can see Janovicz going all the way in Paris. Fantastic prospect - definitely a future Number 1.

No chance.

2pm today for Murray v Berdych. Pity it wasn't the night match for more viewers. But I suppose the home player should start things off.

And he wins it!

Vast improvement in the second and third sets on the first. Berdych was playing some really accurate groundstrokes and some of his serving was brilliant, but Murray managed to get back to somewhere close to his best to get over the line.

And he wins it!

Vast improvement in the second and third sets on the first. Berdych was playing some really accurate groundstrokes and some of his serving was brilliant, but Murray managed to get back to somewhere close to his best to get over the line.

One of those matches with a huge turning point. Murray breaking serve at the twelth time of asking more or less changed it and it never changed back. Berdych is one of those very consistent players who always seems to play at 7/10 level, never more and rarely less. That means he's a bugger to beat, but it also means when Murray lifts his level (as he did in the second set) Berdych can't go up a level to match him.

I really enjoyed that match. Hopefully Murray can beat Tsonga and get to the semi-final.

One of those matches with a huge turning point. Murray breaking serve at the twelth time of asking more or less changed it and it never changed back. Berdych is one of those very consistent players who always seems to play at 7/10 level, never more and rarely less. That means he's a bugger to beat, but it also means when Murray lifts his level (as he did in the second set) Berdych can't go up a level to match him.

I really enjoyed that match. Hopefully Murray can beat Tsonga and get to the semi-final.

You aren't necessarily guaranteed a semi final place with a win vs Tonga. You had that ludicrous situation in 2009, when Del Potro, Federer and Murray did not know who had gone through.

A decent start for Murray, I always think he struggles against Berdych.

Does anyone know the day and time for the Murray Djokovic match?

You aren't necessarily guaranteed a semi final place with a win vs Tonga. You had that ludicrous situation in 2009, when Del Potro, Federer and Murray did not know who had gone through.

A decent start for Murray, I always think he struggles against Berdych.

Does anyone know the day and time for the Murray Djokovic match?

First singles tomorrow, around 2-2.30 pm I would anticipate. :D

Berdych is one of those very consistent players who always seems to play at 7/10 level, never more and rarely less. That means he's a bugger to beat, but it also means when Murray lifts his level (as he did in the second set) Berdych can't go up a level to match him.

You obviously haven't watched Berdych play over the years. He has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. He has improved in that regard, but just looking at this year he has lost to players ranked 75, 87, 87 and 101.

Also, Berdych had a winning 4-3 record against Murray before this week, largely because when he is on top form, he can and has overpowered Murray with his powerful serve and ground strokes. The French Open in 2010 being a prime example. Murray has greater consistency, better movement and better shot selection, but Berdych at his best would win against Murray the majority of the time. It is one of those match ups that isn't very favourable for Murray as the match is often not in his hands.

You obviously haven't watched Berdych play over the years. He has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career. He has improved in that regard, but just looking at this year he has lost to players ranked 75, 87, 87 and 101.

Also, Berdych had a winning 4-3 record against Murray before this week, largely because when he is on top form, he can and has overpowered Murray with his powerful serve and ground strokes. The French Open in 2010 being a prime example. Murray has greater consistency, better movement and better shot selection, but Berdych at his best would win against Murray the majority of the time. It is one of those match ups that isn't very favourable for Murray as the match is often not in his hands.

Shit did not mean to give you a -1, just wanted to see who did (since you always seem to talk the most sense).

2-0 Djokovic today I reckon. Which means he will have to beat Tsonga 2-0 on Friday and hope Djokovic beats Berdych by the same score regardless of the Tsonga/Berdych score tonight (I think). This is like the CL with all the permutations.

2-0 Djokovic today I reckon. Which means he will have to beat Tsonga 2-0 on Friday and hope Djokovic beats Berdych by the same score regardless of the Tsonga/Berdych score tonight (I think). This is like the CL with all the permutations.

No. Let's assume for a minute that Djokovic wins 2-0 against Murray (which is of course far from certain to happen).

In that case, if Tsonga beats Berdych, then the Murray v Tsonga match is effectively a straight knockout match to see who makes the semi finals. The only way that a Murray win against Tsonga might not be enough is if Berdych beats both Tsonga and Djokovic. Djokovic, Murray and Berdych would then finish level on two wins, and it would come down to set percentage firstly, then game percentage and finally highest ATP ranking. Djokovic would go through as he'd have no worse than a 4-2 sets record. If Berdych beat both Djokovic and Tsonga 2-1, he would have a 5-4 set record, in which case Murray would qualify if he beat Tsonga 2-0. If Berdych were to win 2-0 against Djokovic or Tsonga, then Murray would be out regardless.

There is a scenario in which Murray could lose to both Djokovic and Tsonga and still qualify for the semi finals. Djokovic would have to beat Berdych and Berdych would have to beat Tsonga as well, for Murray, Tsonga and Berdych to finish on one win each. If Murray's defeat against Djokovic was 2-0 as we're assuming, then if he lost 2-1 against Tsonga, Djokovic won 2-0 against Berdych and Berdych won 2-1 against Tsonga it would come down to game percentage as Murray, Berdych and Tsonga would all have a 3-5 set record.

It can get complicated, but only if Berdych wins his final two matches. Even if he does, Murray can keep things in his hands going into the Tsonga match by taking at least a set against Djokovic.