Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Impossible you mean. Ward ain't winning a rubber in that scenario

I wouldn't say impossible. Federer has a patchy Davis Cup record attendance wise, and coming off the back of the US Open players might not want to play on a change of surface (GB would pick grass courts surely if at home). Plus

With Fleming/Hutchins being match fit come April we wouldn't be relying on Murray to play the doubles. The tie against Italy would certainly be winnable. GB has some wonderful doubles players. Ward or Evans could beat Seppi, but I think Fognini would be a bit too clever for them.

If I had paid to see the Davis Cup action I would be raging that they never played the last rubber even best of three.

Was about to mention Seppi but you've done it for me. In a lot of ways it's a similar scenario that Britain face in that tie. It'll be on clay, Murray will be strong favourite to take two points with Ward (or another, but likely Ward after Friday surely) the underdog in the other singles ties.

Seppi and Fognini played the doubles together too. Dom Inglot + partner beat Seppi + partner in R1 of the Australian Open this year already. Could be close.

I don't think Seppi played the doubles in their current match. He's hardly won a game all year either. Long time been now and April though.

Murray with his 17th win in a row in the singles in Davis Cup sends GB to the Quarter Finals against Italy and also a guaranteed place in the world group 1st round in 2015.

Italy beat Argentina 3-1 with the last game not played the full results are

C. Berlocq 4-6 6-0 6-2 6-1 A. Seppi

J. Monaco 5-7 2-6 2-6 F. Fognini

E. Schwank & H. Zeballos 7-6 6-7 6-7 4-6 S. Bolelli & F. Fognini

C. Berlocq 6-7(5) 6-4 1-6 4-6 F. Fognini

Full Quarter Final Draw

Czech Republic v Japan

France v Germany

Italy v Great Britain

Switzerland v Kazakhstan

Murray with his 17th win in a row in the singles in Davis Cup sends GB to the Quarter Finals against Italy and also a guaranteed place in the world group 1st round in 2015.

Italy beat Argentina 3-1 with the last game not played the full results are

C. Berlocq 4-6 6-0 6-2 6-1 A. Seppi

J. Monaco 5-7 2-6 2-6 F. Fognini

E. Schwank & H. Zeballos 7-6 6-7 6-7 4-6 S. Bolelli & F. Fognini

C. Berlocq 6-7(5) 6-4 1-6 4-6 F. Fognini

Full Quarter Final Draw

Czech Republic v Japan

France v Germany

Italy v Great Britain

Switzerland v Kazakhstan

17 wins in a row is good going, and considering he missed a few matches against the likes of Lithuania his win streak would be even higher. Stating the obvious I know, but it's somtimes easy to take for granted how good he is. Just need to appreciate him while he's still playing.

The only player Andy has lost to (in singles Davis Cup matches) was Stan Wawrinka in an indoor clay match on his singles debut.

Murray has accepted a wild card into the Rotterdam tournament starting next week and later on this month he will go to Mexico to compete in a clay tournament before the two outdoor Masters Events in USA in March. A strange switch of surface from him but I would imagine he would be looking to pick up ranking points as quickly as possible so he can be top four again. Winning Rotterdam and stopping Del Potro winning Rotterdam again would see it happen. I assume they will be number one and two seeds. Also stopping Ferrer making the final in Acapalco would help him too.

Two strong showings in these tournaments and he will be top four going into the two Masters events which would be ideal.

The event in Mexico has switched to a hard court tournament now I think.

That makes much more sense. Hasn't been updated on the ATP website when I checked. Either way I expect Murray to have a stronger clay court season this year, which isn't that hard to be honest.

Yeah his serve disintegrated at times, but that occurs normally in a lull after he breaks an opponent in earlier rounds. It was a routine win and plays Dominic Thiem who has been playing better than his ranking recently. Although he had only one win in the main draws this season in the Australian Open, he has came through qualifying in the three tournaments he has entered. Murray should beat him and will face Cilic in the quarter final who has only beaten him once in ten meetings.

I knew Thiem was better than his ranking but didn't quite think he would be that good. He was excellent and really had Murray under pressure at times. There was some wonderful rallies between both players, and Murray had the experience to win in the end. In the end both players won 106 points.

He plays Cilic tomorrow with the winner of that facing the winner of the Sisljing Kohlschreiber (worst spellings ever) match. Cilic is serving very well and is in very good form winning Zagreb last week. Will be a very good test for Murray, he will have to play well to win.

Cilic served excellently and Murray not so well, well deserved win for Cilic. A big opportunity lost this week though with Del Potro going out. He could have been 4th in the World on Monday. But he will gain 500 points on Del Potro and if Ferrer falls before the final will gain more ground on him also.

Berdych wins the final against Cilic 6-4 6-2.

So that's Murray going down to 7th.

Yeah but there will be only a few hundred in it between 4th -7th. A strong showing in Acapalco should catapult him to 4th. He has a QF place to defend in Indian Wells so if he can better that he should be in the top four by the start of Miami. A poor showing there and he could be looking at being 8th in the world going into the clay season.

Booked up for ATP Tour Finals in November (14th to be precise). Perks of working for the sponsor meant I got pre-sale. Got pretty damn good seats too. Hoping all the big four make it, but especially Mr Murray. Will be happy as long as I see one of them play though.

Booked up for ATP Tour Finals in November (14th to be precise). Perks of working for the sponsor meant I got pre-sale. Got pretty damn good seats too. Hoping all the big four make it, but especially Mr Murray. Will be happy as long as I see one of them play though.

I went a couple of years ago when it was Federer v Tsonga in the Final. Was up in the upper ring but it was still brilliant. Amazing seeing the speed they hit the ball at close up.

I slept through my alarm so never seen the match but it was a good victory. Andujar carved out two match points vs Nadal last week on clay in the semi finals so he is in good form.

I imagine he will be looking for his mum's bit of stuff Lopez to do him a favour against the little beast Ferrer. Ferrer needs to make the final to maintain his points total.