Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy Murray will not be the only British male at the French Open as James Ward has came through qualifying winning his last match against Blaz Rola 4-6 6-4 12-10.

The last British male to come through qualifying at the French Open was John Lloyd in 1973.

Heather Watson has also qualified for the French Open.

Although Gasquet will be tough, Murray has already beaten him twice at the French Open and apart from a clay court victory he has largely had his number winning five of the last six encounters. Gasquet's one handed backhand doesn't have the power of Wawrinka's, so poses less damage. I think Murray will be happy getting Wawrinka's (possibly happier getting Federer) quarter. Although Wawrinka has won all three previous matches on clay, he knows how to beat Wawrinka. Plus on clay the potential of Wawrinka blasting a couple by redlining is reduced.

Bit gutted as I will be working for the final, but should get to watch the QFs and SF.

Andy Murray will not be the only British male at the French Open as James Ward has came through qualifying winning his last match against Blaz Rola 4-6 6-4 12-10.

The last British male to come through qualifying at the French Open was John Lloyd in 1973.

That was Watson's 2nd round quals she played today. Still got another game tomorrow and is carrying an injury apparently.

I actually think that is a decent draw for Murray. Gasquet hasn't played since Miami and has totally missed the clay court season is I would be surprised if it is him Murray faces in round 4. More likely to be Verdasco imo, who is a very decent clay courter who has given Murray big problems before on a few occasions.

Think the semis would be the absolute best Murray could hope for, my instinct says quarter final though.

I really think this years French Open is wide open. I am not 100% convinced by Nadal since Australian Open, and only won the Masters in Madrid thanks to Nishikori picking up an injury. Murray run out of steam against Nadal, and he lost to Almagro and Ferrer on clay. Wawrinka hasn't been overly convincing on clay either. I think it is a draw that could have been far more horrible.

Not that Murray is a great clay courter, but he could have had been given some very tricky clay courters. Fognini in Wawrinka's side is a far tougher last 16 match than Gasquet. I agree with Verdasco, but he has had a couple of surprise losses, and would more than likely tire like he did at Wimbledon.

Yep agree with every word of that. Would still make Murray favourite in a match with Verdasco although he is dangerous once he starts swinging.

Djokovic's best chance yet although rafa just seems so hard to beat at RG over 5 sets.

Hoping Thiem makes it through to round 2 to meet Nadal, only saw the final set of his win over Wawrinka but it was absolutely superb.

I actually think Berdych could have a big tournament even although he was papped out in the first round last year.

That was Watson's 2nd round quals she played today. Still got another game tomorrow and is carrying an injury apparently.

Yeah never noticed that she still had another qualifying round but I am glad to say that Watson has won her game and have now qualified for the French Open.

Watson will play Zahlavova-Strycova in the 1st round and for Ward its the 17th seed Robredo.

• 2 weeks later...

Murray seeded third for queens club and has had not a bad draw. He is seeded to face:

R2: Mathieu/Bedene R3: Stepanek QF: Anderson SF: Berdych F: Wawrinka.

Although if Dan Evans can put together a couple of wins he could face Murray in the QF stage. Other potential opponents could be Gulbis in the QF, Hewitt in SF.

Edited by Loki

Bit of a left field appointment, but I imagine he responds well to strong characters given his success with Lendl and his mother and it might actually work.

I agree with the point that Mark Petchy has made though , that it's going to be quite tough for her given Andy's amazing grass court season last year. Anything less than his dominance last year and straight away people will be asking questions of the coach. That's quite a lot of pressure on a player / coach relationship from day one.

Edited by AberdeenBud

• 4 weeks later...

So after the conclusion of the grass court season Andy Murray finds himself in 10th position in the world rankings. His lowest ranking since making his maiden slam final in 2008.

Although he has very little to defend from here to the end of the year, if he's not in the top 8 he will have to play first round in the two hard court masters. Also he could face the big guns in the last 16 of them and the US open. He is also 7th in the race to London so there is a distinct possibility he may miss out.

I am sure he'll find his rhythm again soon, but until then he could face a very difficult few months.

Hopefully he enters the Washington tournament this year before the two hard court masters. As despite it only being a 250 event, any kind of win would build his confidence.

So after the conclusion of the grass court season Andy Murray finds himself in 10th position in the world rankings. His lowest ranking since making his maiden slam final in 2008.

Although he has very little to defend from here to the end of the year, if he's not in the top 8 he will have to play first round in the two hard court masters. Also he could face the big guns in the last 16 of them and the US open. He is also 7th in the race to London so there is a distinct possibility he may miss out.

I am sure he'll find his rhythm again soon, but until then he could face a very difficult few months.

Hopefully he enters the Washington tournament this year before the two hard court masters. As despite it only being a 250 event, any kind of win would build his confidence.

With no points to defend at both Shanghai and Paris, as well as only 240 combined from Cincinnati and Toronto, I really can't see him not make the World Tour Finals, unless he has a shocker of a US Open (he's defending QF there, which should be manageable to at least maintain his points).

I agree that he should play Washington or anything that would get him a win right now. This must be the longest tournament drought of his career.

ATP website has Washington down as a 500 as well.

Edited by Nightmare

You do know that the race and world rankings are independent of one another? You can be ranked in the top 8 of the world and not qualify for the race?

The world tour finals qualification is the eight players that have accrued the most ranking points in 2014 only.

Apologies I thought Washington was 250, and looking at the line-up it's a strong field. Perhaps a 250 event prior to that. But going into the masters cold could prove a costly mistake.

Agassi once dropped into challengers when he was coming back from injury to build confidence. So a few 250 events wouldn't harm him at all.

Murray is currently 7th in terms of the race. All of about 80 points ahead of Kei Nishikori who's occupying the last spot. Whilst rankings don't really concern Murray, it'll just make his routes to semis and finals that much harder, then again I doubt any of the top players will be thrilled to see him drop so low as well.

You do know that the race and world rankings are independent of one another? You can be ranked in the top 8 of the world and not qualify for the race?

The world tour finals qualification is the eight players that have accrued the most ranking points in 2014 only.

I actually did, but had a complete brainfart in responding to you. I have bookmarks to both a list of unofficial live rankings and unofficial live race to London and for some reason decided to combine them.

Ferrer is currently vulturing away at the Bastad 250, so no reason why Murray shouldn't be doing stuff like that.

He'll still make them anyway. Ferrer and Raonic are a threat from below but it's approaching Murray's favourite part of the season.

Edited by Nightmare