Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Ferrer has already got six slots below 250 in his race points so he needs to make the final to gain any points.

Murray has an okay draw. Popsisil in the second round potentially which could be tricky if he serves well. Kohlschreiber is in ferrer's half so I wouldn't be surprised to see the German make the final.

Very surprised to see Murray playing in Vienna given that that will mean playing six straight weeks. The message it sends to me is that he doesn't back himself to play well enough in Valencia and Paris. Not surprising given the year Murray has had but winning in Vienna won't be enough if he loses early in Valencia and Paris because he is tired.

I think he'll struggle to make the top 8, but I don't think Nadal will want to go to London less than 100% and lose badly so Murray will probably make it if he finishes 9th in the race.

Very surprised to see Murray playing in Vienna given that that will mean playing six straight weeks. The message it sends to me is that he doesn't back himself to play well enough in Valencia and Paris. Not surprising given the year Murray has had but winning in Vienna won't be enough if he loses early in Valencia and Paris because he is tired.

I think he'll struggle to make the top 8, but I don't think Nadal will want to go to London less than 100% and lose badly so Murray will probably make it if he finishes 9th in the race.

I agree with this. Don't think Nadal will want to enter a tournament to get beat by all. Murray hopefully gets lucky and gets Nadal or Wawrinkas quarter in Paris. Ferrer is defending a final points total so there would be an opportunity to gain considerably on Ferrer in Paris in terms of the world ranking. But for Murray to qualify outright he needs to play well in the 500 and 1000 events left, winning this 250 is going to not matter if he exits early in both.

Several strong rumours that Nadal will play Basel and assess his further participation in the remaining tournaments. Considering the amount of bitching he has done in the past about the WTF being on hard indoor courts, I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from Paris and WTF and get his surgery. If he delays it till after the WTF I don't think he will be fit in time for the Australian Open. He wants to end his career with more slams than Federer for sure. I can't see him risking a slam especially already missing out on defending his title at the US Open.

I thought Murray served poorly again, but Pospisil is a poor returner so Murray was able to dig out service games. He saved 5 from 6 break points. However again his first serve was low under 50%. He has never met Struff before and he's done well recently and is almost in the top 50. Murray should beat him well though.

Bonus with Raonic losing in Moscow too. I do feel for Nadal to an extent, he clearly wants a WTF to add to his collection and for as long as it's indoors he's unlikely to have much chance. So Murray making the final and Ferrer not would see Murray into 8th?

Agree about raonic

Btw I didnt think Paris results counted to 'race to london' as london starts 1 day after paris final hence round robin draw etc already made.. I thought last yrs paris masters was included. Ie full calendar yr...?

Agree about raonic

Btw I didnt think Paris results counted to 'race to london' as london starts 1 day after paris final hence round robin draw etc already made.. I thought last yrs paris masters was included. Ie full calendar yr...?

I'm sure it was always previously included but anyway there is a week between this year

Murray has overtaken Ferrer and is now in 9th position. He is 25 points behind Raonic. He is looking good for an assault up the rankings. He will go ahead of Dimitrov in the world rankings next week which means he will move back to the top ten. The semi finals tomorrow should be interesting, Kohlschreiber hasn't beat Ferrer in six years, but they normally serve up close matches. Their only meeting this year was at a Masters event and had three tie breaks. I think Troicki will be up for playing Murray after Murray rubbished his reasons for missing his blood test which resulted in a ban.

Over in Stockholm we see Weekend at Bernie Tomic Vs Dimitrov. A couple of years ago both were touted as having real potential and neither looked like they would ever break through. Tomic I still think has a bit more skill, but his attitude stinks. The amount of times he gets bagelled is horrid. Dimitrov under Roger Rasheed, has become more professional and has a great attitude. Roger Rasheed has often publically criticised Tomic for his play and attitude so I think the match could be very interesting. The luckiest man on the planet right now Tomas Berdych plays a German qualifier ranked 203 in the world for a place in the final.

Is any of these 250 events on TV? I have a Tennis TV subscription so I catch it on that, but was wondering if Sky were showing it. The draws for Basel and Valencia should be out tomorrow too.

TheScarf - yup just the WTF to get. Don't think they will get it though. Federer has the Davis Cup and singles Gold Medal missing from his list, so the Davis Cup final will be very interesting.

Is any of these 250 events on TV? I have a Tennis TV subscription so I catch it on that, but was wondering if Sky were showing it. The draws for Basel and Valencia should be out tomorrow too.

Eurosport Sky channel 410 is showing Andy Murray v Viktor Troicki then the Ferrer v Kohlschreiber match from 1pm Today and the Final Tomorrow at 12.45pm.

Tricky draw for Murray. Faces melzer in the first round with a potential meeting with fognini. He's also in ferrers half. As a result of the draw cilic has now officially qualified, although due to the rules he was always going to qualify. Three places left. Berdych again has a nice draw. Nishikori is too far ahead. So expect a shoot out between ferrer and Murray for the last spot.