Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Surely Murray has to get knighted at some point soon. When you look at some of the knighthoods handed out for people's services to an industry or sport then you can't get much more successful than being

The first British male Grand Slam winner since 1936.

The first British male Wimbledon winner since the same year (with the added pressure of how much the British public have been waiting for a British winner).

The first British Olympic Gold medal winner in Tennis since 1908.

Helping Britain to their first Davis Cup win since 1936, becoming only the third person in history to win all 8 of their rubber matches along the way.

That is an absolutely ridiculous record, and he must surely rank as one of the most successful British Sportsmen of all time. He has managed to do multiple things that not one other person born in Great Britain has managed to do in almost 80 years.

Arise Sir Andrew.

He should be Sir Andrew as soon as the next honours list comes out. To be honest him being overlooked in 2013 was a joke, especially when you consider media darling Dame Becky Adlington was given her honour in 2008 after winning her two gold medals when she had done nothing before that point.

I did not dislike Henman, especially when it was Wimbledon time, but when you look at his grand slam record, he was a complete and utter pish/bottle merchant. Hasn't changed much in his post tennis career by the sound of it, but in wealth terms, I'd love to be a pound behind him.

How the f**k did Sue Barker get moist and the BBC name a hill after him?

I did not dislike Henman, especially when it was Wimbledon time, but when you look at his grand slam record, he was a complete and utter pish/bottle merchant. Hasn't changed much in his post tennis career by the sound of it, but in wealth terms, I'd love to be a pound behind him.

How the f**k did Sue Barker get moist and the BBC name a hill after him?

Maybe she likes gardeners.

Surely Murray has to get knighted at some point soon. When you look at some of the knighthoods handed out for people's services to an industry or sport then you can't get much more successful than being

The first British male Grand Slam winner since 1936.

The first British male Wimbledon winner since the same year (with the added pressure of how much the British public have been waiting for a British winner).

The first British Olympic Gold medal winner in Tennis since 1908.

Helping Britain to their first Davis Cup win since 1936, becoming only the third person in history to win all 8 of their rubber matches along the way.

That is an absolutely ridiculous record, and he must surely rank as one of the most successful British Sportsmen of all time. He has managed to do multiple things that not one other person born in Great Britain has managed to do in almost 80 years.

Arise Sir Andrew.

Absolutely. He is an Incredible sportsman

He should be Sir Andrew as soon as the next honours list comes out. To be honest him being overlooked in 2013 was a joke, especially when you consider media darling Dame Becky Adlington was given her honour in 2008 after winning her two gold medals when she had done nothing before that point.

I've heard a few stories from (facking) journo mates that he has already been offered knighthood in 2012/13, but turned it down on the basis that he is still active, and doesn't want to deal with any of that pish while he's still playing.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't Sir Andy at the first opportunity after he retires.

My last thing to say on the matter is that Goran, Johansson, Costa and Gaudio all beat players better than them on the surface they won their Slams on. I can only think of twice where Henman beat a player of better grass standing than him in Krajicek and Rafter. He also beat Korda and Kafelnikov but both were firmly in the grass is for cows camp.

As for Murray being made a sir - it's been rumoured that he turned it down. He didn't want to be made a political football in the independence referendum. Which would fit in with what Mark said above.

And I say he should have beaten more players similar to or better than him but couldn't because of his lack of heart.

But I agree this argument has run its course now.

It's awkward in today's knighthood process whereby a sportsman is made a Sir whilst still active. I find it strange coming from an era that would knight people well after they've hung up their... whatever they used to compete! Murray still completely deserves one though.

Her Maj should have done it on centre Court soon after he pummelled Novak that glorious day

Edberg and Federer split, with Federer taking on Ljubicic as his new coach. Ljubicic was most recently coaching Raonic who seemed to find a good consistency under his tutelage. He made one grand slam semi final, and one other quarter final.

Djokovic seems to have Federer's number in pressure moments. He reads the serve well, and serves better himself. His ground game did deteriorate under Edberg, but that could easily because of his body aging. I am not really sure what aspects of Federer's game Ljubicic is going to improve, as his serving stats were the best of the top ten.

Edberg and Federer split, with Federer taking on Ljubicic as his new coach. Ljubicic was most recently coaching Raonic who seemed to find a good consistency under his tutelage. He made one grand slam semi final, and one other quarter final.

Djokovic seems to have Federer's number in pressure moments. He reads the serve well, and serves better himself. His ground game did deteriorate under Edberg, but that could easily because of his body aging. I am not really sure what aspects of Federer's game Ljubicic is going to improve, as his serving stats were the best of the top ten.

This. His serving was great under Edberg. Ljubicic must be highly respected as a coach if Federer is going for him, although maybe it is because he has experience/knowledge of playing Murray, Djokovic and Nadal?

Andy Murray played in the IPTL today. Played half of the mixed doubles and lost. Subbed himself in for Kyrgios against Cilic/Federer and won 6-5 from 5-3 down at the sub.

He also beat Federer in singles 6-4. He will play one more match in the IPTL and then continue pre season training.

He's had two weeks off before starting training in Dubai.

She isn't due to mid February. I would imagine if he is on court in a semi final and wins, and then finds out she's giving birth he would play the final. A quarter final or before he would skip.

No real surprise to see Murray beat Tomic 6-1, he knows exactly how to play him, and Tomic can't really hurt him.

Nadal's reaction to Bernard Tomic joining the team is hysterical:

BERNARD? Close the bar!