Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

4 hours ago, Lex said:

Greatest British sportsman of all time, beyond doubt now.

The only argument against I've heard before was that he was never the best in the world at his sport. Can tick that off now.

Arise, Sir Andy Murray.

Mind when you said he'd never be number one on umpteen occasions, you worm?

Just now, Elixir said:

:lol:

To be fair, I always have a meltdown when Murray loses because of my love for the lad. :wub:

Aye I did do the bereavement cycle as a piss take once, and it summed up your emotions after a loss.

I think everyone has under estimated what Andy Murray would achieve, and still can achieve in his career.  I thought at one point he'd never win a clay court tournament or be number one.  But there you go, he just gets better and better.

A win tomorrow and a win at the WTF would round off a just about perfect year.

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Aye I did do the bereavement cycle as a piss take once, and it summed up your emotions after a loss.

I think everyone has under estimated what Andy Murray would achieve, and still can achieve in his career.  I thought at one point he'd never win a clay court tournament or be number one.  But there you go, he just gets better and better.

A win tomorrow and a win at the WTF would round off a just about perfect year.

I won't doubt him again, tbh. When you sit back and think about what he's achieved, it makes me feel daft to think I ever did. Even losing to Nishikori at the US Open and the frustrating way it happened - he'd have been only the fourth man ever to reach all four Slam finals in the same year if he'd done it. Practically unprecedented and again, in hindsight, no real surprise given his summer schedule.

Despite how good a career he's already had, he definitely deserves even more. I really hope he has a dominant next two or three years.

His scheduling this year has been spot on, he's played the perfect amount to allow him to get to number 1, but not that much that he's become burnt out. Given that he's reached the final of virtually every tournament since April it would have been really easy to end up over-playing. I guess it shows that as he's got older he's learned what his body can cope with and when it needs rest.

Really hope he can win tomorrow, would be natural to have a bit of a let down after reaching his goal, but winning would make it pretty likely he'll finish the year as number 1. If he was to lose Djokovic could claim it back at the WTF, although given their respective form that looks unlikely at the moment.

Erm. Not really. Possibly up there with the worst bit of comparatives I've ever read. And I've seen the Brexit thread.

You obviously completely missed the bit where Murray has won many, many trophies.

Aye crappy tournaments that generally nobody gives a toss about. Check his record in the majors against Djokovic. No comparison.

A win tomorrow and equalling Novak at the WTF should see him hold the number 1 spot well into next season, a loss tomorrow and we might see a wee bit of swapsy for a few months.

Normally agree with CK and see his posts as sensible and well thought out.

However. Getting to number 1 in the world in the ATP rankings is a massive feat. Looking at the last 10 years year end Number 1 and your looking at 3 of the greatest ever, if not the 3 greatest ever.

For Murray to get close to this one become number 1 himself is probably the greatest British sporting achievement in the last 20 years. The fact that he'll probably win another 2-3 majors before he ends his career isn't here nor there. The greatest British sportsman ever. No questions.

Night night.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Shamelessly hijacking another man's personal achievements for his own personal gain.

Aye, we've done that and shame on Eck.

That said, Andy's achievement is fantastic.  I'm trying to think of Scottish no 1s and it's a fucking short list.  Hoy? Jim Clark?  Ken Buchanan?  Maybe Andy will match Jim Watt if he appears on an episode of Still Game.