Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Each player could have won it, didnt want to win, choked it away, and then showed bottle to get back into it only to just about throw it away again.

That was a war of attrition and how Thiem won when he could barely move, only Sasha will know why.  

Although the quality was very poor from one of the players throughout, the final set was as tense an affair as you can see.

The womens event was far better this year.

Some brilliant shots but overall not great tennis - maybe the lowest standard in a men's singles slam final in 15 years. Maybe not a surprise in the circumstances, but great drama. That was effectively a draw, it was decided by nothing at all really. I meant to go to sleep but I couldn't take my eyes off it.

I feel for Sascha here, normally the crowd help and emotional player through their losing speech. Very sore one for him.

Well my favourite got there, but being honest I thought Zverev was the better player.

I've been critical of Zverev's game becoming dull and overly reliant on his serve.  Not tonight!  His net play and half volleys were outstanding!

I've regained a huge amount of respect for him.

Loved the event.

Yours

aDONis

1 minute ago, Loki said:

The womens event was far better this year.

This tournament has really made me realise two things about the women's tour - how much it has been in the shadow during the era of the Big 3.5 men, and how much it has lacked top players with real guts. You have to go all the way back to the early 2000s and Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Maursemo, Hingis, Pierce being able to front up to the Williams sisters for anything similar.

I must have missed Vinci, Pliskova, Kerber, Muguruza, Halep, Andreescu, Osaka all destroying Serena in the last few years.

I think Halep destroying her on her favourite court was better than the youngster Kenin bodying her at the French.

I suspect you just haven't been watching that closely.

Andy Murray takes a wild card into the French Open.  Missed out on direct entry but would likely get in as an alternate like he did at the US Open.

Genie Bouchard also gets a wild card.  Her world ranking was in the 300s accepted a wild card into qualies in Istanbul and made the final.

Andy Murray takes a wild card into the French Open.  Missed out on direct entry but would likely get in as an alternate like he did at the US Open.
Genie Bouchard also gets a wild card.  Her world ranking was in the 300s accepted a wild card into qualies in Istanbul and made the final.
Great news on two fronts... Firstly top bio Andy then.....

AIW6HSRR4JCPRJVR2VB6MKRJ4Q.jpeg

Djokovic wins his 36th Masters trophy and Diego Schwarzman became the lastest player to fail to do the Nadal and Djokovic double on clay.

The draw for the French Open will be made on Thursday and it will be interesting to see how the draw pans out.  

Murray will be facing a seed in either Round 1 or Round 2.  Hopefully he can make it through a couple of rounds, depending on what his serve is like he might find it easier to be competitive on clay.  His best results in his back transition phase was on clay.

It will be interesting to see where Thiem falls in the draw, and if he has recovered from that Final in the US. A nightmare draw for the top guys would be something like:

Murray, Nishikori, Wawrinka, Fognini, Schwarzman, Thiem, Nadal/Djokovic.