Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Guest The Ghost of Ron Burgundy
Glorious failure might have been better though. All that grunting and shaking of the head would lead the nats to the natural conclusion:

He lost because of the English!!!!!

:P

he trained in Spain as far as I know......his success has the best part of f**k all to do with his country of brth and would probably have been hampered had he not the common sense to get the f**k out.

he trained in Spain as far as I know......his success has the best part of f**k all to do with his country of brth and would probably have been hampered had he not the common sense to get the f**k out.

Not sure where he did his training last year, but I'm sure that he was at a tennis academy in Barcelona before making his break onto the tour. Am I also correct in saying Nadal was at the same academy as Murray?

So we shouldnt be supporting him? Or he shouldnt be going about saying he's Scottish? Im unsure of your point here.

Not sure where he did his training last year, but I'm sure that he was at a tennis academy in Barcelona before making his break onto the tour. Am I also correct in saying Nadal was at the same academy as Murray?

Yes. Apparently it was a young Nadal that convinced Murray to go to Barca.

It's pretty obvious that Murray would have needed to go abroad to become the player he is. He was probably the best player in Scotland by the time he was 15, how could he learn anything? I think that tennis players often move abroad to join these academies - most of the Russian players have pronounced California accents as they emigrated when they were about 10!

Was it not the UK tennis academy that was in the news because it had to expel a load of pupils for spending their time boozing, then boasting about it on Bebo? I doubt that went on in Barcelona.

I think taht Stirling University has a Tennis Academy now but given the climate obviously playing in Spain would be better to develop a player for all possible surfaces.

I think taht Stirling University has a Tennis Academy now but given the climate obviously playing in Spain would be better to develop a player for all possible surfaces.

It does, and its got a good few Eastern European players who move here for opportunities, just like Murray moved away for opportunities. Like you said, a lot of tennis players seem to move abroad in order to develop themselves.

Can you see what point Ron is trying to make though? I still can't see it.

Can you see what point Ron is trying to make though? I still can't see it.

I would think he's referring to the sadly all-too-frequent nature of some of our bright young sportsmen to go off the rails once they hit the drink / drugs / girls age, something that we don't hear about as often in other countries.

I would think he's referring to the sadly all-too-frequent nature of some of our bright young sportsmen to go off the rails once they hit the drink / drugs / girls age, something that we don't hear about as often in other countries.

Thats fair enough, but I am confused about what this:

has to do with this:

Glorious failure might have been better though. All that grunting and shaking of the head would lead the nats to the natural conclusion:

He lost because of the English!!!!!

:P

Am I being whooshed? :huh:

Out of the Olympics, 7-6 6-4

Only saw a bit of it but looked like the 1st serve fell apart completely. Big disapppointment but he had a hoor of a draw and I doubt he would have won a medal anyway.

• 2 weeks later...