Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he any better than Baraclough?

Depends which McGhee turns up really. The one that took over Malpas' team that finished 10th and went on to a 3rd place finish and played some of the best football seen at Fir Park since the early 90s or the one that took a 3rd place team, finished 7th, signed Bob Malcolm whilst chucking his name about for every job going (Celtic, Scotland, Hearts and Aberdeen) and generally acting the p***k. It could go either way.

When it comes down to it though I'd have much more confidence in McGhee getting something out of the current squad than I would Baraclough. Craigan's on record as saying McGhee's the best manager he's ever played under and I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to think that he's held in high regard by the likes of Hammell, Lasley and Clarkson as well. McGhee took the latter to Bristol Rovers during his ill fated stint there.

If nothing else, if it is indeed McGhee that gets the job, it's a logical appointment given where we are at the moment. We're a club with a small budget that's kicking about the wrong end of the Scottish Premiership.

On the face of it he's had a successful (to a point) working relationship with staff who are already at the club (Craigan, Leitch) and knows the club, league and the senior players (Hammell, Lasley, Clarkson). I'd imagine that his involvement with the international set-up on a coaching level would be favourable with the owner.

Basically the club/owner were mugged with the Baraclough appointment, they gave the job of rebuilding the club to a guy who it quickly became apparent was out his depth. If our other options were Craigan (whose experience amounts to youth team coaching and an u20s job he started in the summer), Valikari (a young relatively inexperienced manager working in the Finnish league who played for the club 20 years ago) and erm, Paul Dickov (whose record at Oldham and Doncaster is hardly stellar) then it's hardly a surprise if we end up going with a guy who at the very least has shown he can do the job we're asking him to do (albeit for 1 season 8 years ago) and has more experience at a good level than the other candidates combined.

The only other realistic candidate I'd have said would have been Mixu but he doesn't have the working relationships with current staff and players presumably going in his favour and would likely have meant some changes in backroom staff and run the risk of Kenny Shiels pitching up.

Either way there are definitely managers that I'd prefer to have at Fir Park but I don't know who applied and who didn't or who was realistically in with a shout. What is certain though is that a club like Motherwell isn't going to be appointing anyone with a track record of unqualified success and I don't imagine the likes of Lambert et al are interested in the job so in that respect we are where we are and take what we can get.

Edit: amended to the correct Bristol team he managed.

I think he still believes he has something to prove in club management, but I think he's realised that it doesn't have to be at a 'bigger' club.

His head was turned last time when the Aberdeen and Celtic jobs came up, with his history with both clubs that shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

Those have both gone now for McGhee and, if it is McGhee, I believe we are getting a more settled character.

If he can get this squad as fit as he got the squad the last time, I'll be delighted.

Unfortunately, I dont think we have the quality upfront that would allow us to play 4-3-3 like we did the last time he was here.

I think he still believes he has something to prove in club management, but I think he's realised that it doesn't have to be at a 'bigger' club.

His head was turned last time when the Aberdeen and Celtic jobs came up, with his history with both clubs that shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

Those have both gone now for McGhee and, if it is McGhee, I believe we are getting a more settled character.

If he can get this squad as fit as he got the squad the last time, I'll be delighted.

Unfortunately, I dont think we have the quality upfront that would allow us to play 4-3-3 like we did the last time he was here.

Totally agree with your first point. Amazed at your final sentence though.

The guy transformed Jim Paterson into a flying winger. You don't think he can muster up performances from Lionel Ainsworth and Marvin Johnson? You've also got Dom Thomas as another wide option, and McDonald, Moult & Fletcher up front.

If we can get the German centre-half in, we're laughing!

As for McGhee coming back, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Some Motherwell fans take these things far too personally. Aye, the second season was shit, but if a shit season in McGhee terms is finishing 7th, i'll take it.

It'll take a few fans a bit of time to get onside with him again, but a few victories will speed the process up. We're a fickle bunch, us fitba' fans.

Archived