T in the Park

Poet of the Macabre

I've been reading about this £150,000 that DF Concerts received from the Scottish Government and after hearing what Fiona Hyslop said today, I have to admit this is looking fairly dodgy. T in the Park is not a charity and they have a major sponsor. If they can't afford to run it without Government support then they shouldn't run it at all.

I understand there would be a hit to the economy but I really don't think the Government should be bankrolling a music festival.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading about this £150,000 that DF Concerts received from the Scottish Government and after hearing what Fiona Hyslop said today, I have to admit this is looking fairly dodgy. T in the Park is not a charity and they have a major sponsor. If they can't afford to run it without Government support then they shouldn't run it at all.

I understand there would be a hit to the economy but I really don't think the Government should be bankrolling a music festival.

The government spent £150k on the festival. How much did it bring back in to the exchequer in VAT on the tickets, on the tat that was sold, on the services used by attendees, and the bevvy sold over the weekend? It seems to me to be a good investment.

Govts local and national support this type of event all the time. From world cups to community gala days.

So I'm not the only one that has no problem with Government paying into things like this?

Having a major sponsor shouldn't really matter, as almost every event now has sponsors. Governments pay into hosting World Cups, Athletic Championships, Olympics, Golf Tournaments etc. etc. etc.

Why would Music or Film or any other creative arts Festivals be any different?

So I'm not the only one that has no problem with Government paying into things like this?

Having a major sponsor shouldn't really matter, as almost every event now has sponsors. Governments pay into hosting World Cups, Athletic Championships, Olympics, Golf Tournaments etc. etc. etc.

Providing there is some tangible return for the tax payer, and I don't just mean "Raised awareness of the plight suffered by blind lesbian midget sky divers" type causes, then this is the sort of thing the government should be doing, especially as the money comes back to them via the tax take.

It depends on whether or not DF Concerts are a commercial organisation whos involvement in the event is intended to derive a profit for them and their shareholders. If they are established a not for profit, or as a charity then the £150k is presumably not going into their pocket but into the event.

Am sure many charities in scotland could have used the £150,000 far better to help people in need rather than this type of event.

From what I can gather DF were ready to look elsewhere. But I do not think they should hold a gun the the Government's head. At the the end of the day this is all politics. Tories and Labour see an ex SNP aid involved and all he'll breaks lose. Kept Radio Scotland going all day.

From what I can gather DF were ready to look elsewhere. But I do not think they should hold a gun to the Government's head. At the the end of the day this is all politics. Tories and Labour see an ex SNP aid involved and all he'll breaks lose. Kept Radio Scotland going all day.

DF definitely threatened to at the very least pull the plug on the festival. Which seems like a bit of fear mongering. Although given the disdain they seem to have for the fans these days, I suppose it'd be no surprise that they'd show this level of disdain towards everyone else too.

It depends on whether or not DF Concerts are a commercial organisation whos involvement in the event is intended to derive a profit for them and their shareholders. If they are established a not for profit, or as a charity then the £150k is presumably not going into their pocket but into the event.

Before I go on this is an extreme example. Are you saying you would have until this year been happy to pay money to the NFL but not TitP. All because one had a charity status?

If, and I don't believe it for a second there was any chance TitP was not going to go ahead or move out of Scotland then, the SG was well within the right to intervene - and that's coming from someone who has never been and never will go.

As for kev :lol:

Before I go on this is an extreme example. Are you saying you would have until this year been happy to pay money to the NFL but not TitP. All because one had a charity status?

If, and I don't believe it for a second there was any chance TitP was not going to go ahead or move out of Scotland then, the SG was well within the right to intervene - and that's coming from someone who has never been and never will go.

As for kev :lol:

Maybe you can explain whats laughable about my post,

Cause you don't quantify it. Like your China episode. What do you think Charities would have done with the money spent on Wembley, Olympic Stadium, City of Manchester Stadium, Commonwealth Games, The Olympics, England's failed FIFA World Cup bid, the 2015 Rugby World Cup funds, Scotland's failed European Championship bid.

Where were your complaints then?

DF certainly made a rip roaring c**t of it by leaving Balado and serving up a truly horrible experience from a large portion of attendees and refused to take any blame for it. Get them to f**k and get someone else to organise the festival back where it belongs.

DF certainly made a rip roaring c**t of it by leaving Balado and serving up a truly horrible experience from a large portion of attendees and refused to take any blame for it. Get them to f**k and get someone else to organise the festival back where it belongs.

It wasn't their choice to leave Balado in fairness. Get in Stirling on the fields below the castle.

It wasn't their choice to leave Balado in fairness. Get in Stirling on the fields below the castle.

Was the down to Geoff Ellis? Im not sure who's who but i would still want it in Balado. Would Stirling not be a bad patch for flooding?

Archived