Michelle Thomson

Mr Bairn

I'm sitting here dressed in a panda costume right now and insist on people calling me a real panda. If anybody refers to me as a man in a panda costume then they are evil transspecies-phobic scum and worse than Hitler.

What am I as I refuse to call a mate Terry (his name) instead I call him Terrence :(

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sitting here dressed in a panda costume right now and insist on people calling me a real panda. If anybody refers to me as a man in a panda costume then they are evil transspecies-phobic scum and worse than Hitler.

sexual-harassment-panda.jpg

That's me.

It's called an analogy, fuckwit. Campbell repeatedly denied Chelsea Manning's right to self-determine by insisting, repeatedly, on assigning gender pronouns to her which she has disowned.

I am not claiming to be the arbiter of phobic behaviour. Let's take the basic dictionary definition of transphobia though:

http://dot429.com/articles/2486-transphobic-officially-added-to-oxford-english-dictionary

Campbell's actions fall under "hostility" in the first definition and "prejudice" in the second. Repeatedly defying someone's gender identity by calling them by their previous name or by the gender pronouns of the gender from which they have publicly dissociated themselves constitutes trans erasure.

This constitutes hostility, because it is an attack on the right of trans people to self-define. It shows a lack of respect for their decision to adopt a new gender identity and places greater burdens on them than cis-gendered people to be allowed to be identified as and accepted for who they are in their wider environment. Misgendering is a form of abuse that causes and exacerbates isolation of trans people from their communities and undermines their efforts to be recognised in other spheres of public life.

It constitutes prejudice because it inflicts harm on people based on incorrect preconceived notions of gender.

Ah. I see now that you've just cut and pasted an article on A Thousand Flowers.

Excuse me for thinking you actually knew what you were talking about.

And with that you've shown your ignorance.

WoS's stance is that she's been tried, sentenced and executed by the Unionist press despite having not officially been charged with any wrongdoing at all.

Campbell has correctly highlighted the frothing witch hunt in effect whilst not once commenting on "defending of the SNP over Michelle Thomson".

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-twitching-corpses-of-truth/

"We could go on, but you probably get the idea by now. Well repeat ourselves just for the avoidance of doubt: we have no idea whether Michelle Thomson has done anything wrong or not. She might be as innocent as a puppy or as guilty as sin. This article is NOT written in her defence."

She resigned, that tells you everything you need to know.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13843677.Westminster_standards_watchdog__Michelle_Thomson_will_not_face_probe_into_property_dealings/

Westminster standards watchdog: Michelle Thomson will not face probe into property dealings

Reported on the BBC website 5 days ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34487629

I hear the Titanic has just left Queenstown, be sure to post any updates as soon as you hear them.

It doesn't even merit a probe ? After 3 weeks of frothing at the mouth anticipation.

Unionists :lol:

Doesn't merit a parliamentary probe isn't quite the same as not being investigated since it pre-dates her election to Westminster. Of course you knew that, didn't you.

And with that you've shown your ignorance.

WoS's stance is that she's been tried, sentenced and executed by the Unionist press despite having not officially been charged with any wrongdoing at all.

Campbell has correctly highlighted the frothing witch hunt in effect whilst not once commenting on "defending of the SNP over Michelle Thomson".

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-twitching-corpses-of-truth/

"We could go on, but you probably get the idea by now. Well repeat ourselves just for the avoidance of doubt: we have no idea whether Michelle Thomson has done anything wrong or not. She might be as innocent as a puppy or as guilty as sin. This article is NOT written in her defence."

You are still not getting why it's so damaging. It has nothing to do with it being illegal. It's that it is something a tory would do, illegal or not.

You are a fucking moron.

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. They are making craven attempts to defend Campbell's shitehawk behaviour by... engaging in exactly the same behaviour. They seem totally incapable of realising that it is the failure to adapt and modify future remarks when confronted with the inappropriateness of the original remarks that makes Campbell transphobic, rather than the original ignorant remark itself.

This behaviour is symptomatic of the kind of group-think that identity-based politics causes. It is tremendously heartening to see a significant number of independence supporters willing to call this out and to have no truck with it. It is depressing to see people who would be the first to jump on these remarks if made by a Unionist politician and talk about how Scotland was more progressive and would have a more enlightened politics, defend him to the hilt. This not only proves the criticisms of group-think among (especially) the online nationalist community, but also serves as a hasty reminder that Scotland isn't as enlightened, progressive and forward thinking as some like to pretend it is, both on the Unionist and Nationalist side. The reality is that social conservatism is rife across all parts of Scottish society, and our cultural attitudes remain very distinctly heteronormative.

Of course some of what Campbell posts is a useful contribution to Scottish politics and an effective rejoinder to inaccurate information put out by others. How messengers behave is, however, very important. When a group claims to have moral right on its side, then it is guilty of defending the internally respected and powerful at the expense of standing up for the vulnerable, it is hypocritical and nasty. It should be a priority for the independence movement to challenge antediluvian views wherever they come from, and not to accept them, tolerate them or sweep them under the carpet just because the guy "writes some good stuff".

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. They are making craven attempts to defend Campbell's shitehawk behaviour by... engaging in exactly the same behaviour. They seem totally incapable of realising that it is the failure to adapt and modify future remarks when confronted with the inappropriateness of the original remarks that makes Campbell transphobic, rather than the original ignorant remark itself.

This behaviour is symptomatic of the kind of group-think that identity-based politics causes. It is tremendously heartening to see a significant number of independence supporters willing to call this out and to have no truck with it. It is depressing to see people who would be the first to jump on these remarks if made by a Unionist politician and talk about how Scotland was more progressive and would have a more enlightened politics, defend him to the hilt. This not only proves the criticisms of group-think among (especially) the online nationalist community, but also serves as a hasty reminder that Scotland isn't as enlightened, progressive and forward thinking as some like to pretend it is, both on the Unionist and Nationalist side. The reality is that social conservatism is rife across all parts of Scottish society, and our cultural attitudes remain very distinctly heteronormative.

Of course some of what Campbell posts is a useful contribution to Scottish politics and an effective rejoinder to inaccurate information put out by others. How messengers behave is, however, very important. When a group claims to have moral right on its side, then it is guilty of defending the internally respected and powerful at the expense of standing up for the vulnerable, it is hypocritical and nasty. It should be a priority for the independence movement to challenge antediluvian views wherever they come from, and not to accept them, tolerate them or sweep them under the carpet just because the guy "writes some good stuff".

Well put. The thing that takes his comment well over the edge for me, although it would be stupid and wrong in any circumstances, is that he related it to a person who is more than likely going to spend the rest of her life in solitary confinement in a US army base for posting fairly harmless stuff on the internet that around 2 million people had access to. The only freedom she has left is to express her identity. To undermine that and fail to apologise is rank in the extreme. He does a useful job, shame he can't man up and admit when he's very, very wrong.

Archived