Michelle Thomson

Mr Bairn

I don't believe he did. I do believe anyone who uses the same word to describe Campbell and some nutter who stabs a transgender person on the tube is a fucking idiot.

Lots of Hearts fans, who are probably quite decent people in everyday life, persist in singing "the Hibees are gay" at matches. This is an example of homophobic behaviour.

In 1999 David Copeland, who is probably not a decent person in everyday life, planted a bomb in a gay pub in London, killing 3 and injuring 70. This is also an example of of homophobic behaviour.

I find it difficult to believe that you're as stupid as you come across on here. It has to be some sort of act.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. They are making craven attempts to defend Campbell's shitehawk behaviour by... engaging in exactly the same behaviour. They seem totally incapable of realising that it is the failure to adapt and modify future remarks when confronted with the inappropriateness of the original remarks that makes Campbell transphobic, rather than the original ignorant remark itself.

This behaviour is symptomatic of the kind of group-think that identity-based politics causes. It is tremendously heartening to see a significant number of independence supporters willing to call this out and to have no truck with it. It is depressing to see people who would be the first to jump on these remarks if made by a Unionist politician and talk about how Scotland was more progressive and would have a more enlightened politics, defend him to the hilt. This not only proves the criticisms of group-think among (especially) the online nationalist community, but also serves as a hasty reminder that Scotland isn't as enlightened, progressive and forward thinking as some like to pretend it is, both on the Unionist and Nationalist side. The reality is that social conservatism is rife across all parts of Scottish society, and our cultural attitudes remain very distinctly heteronormative.

Of course some of what Campbell posts is a useful contribution to Scottish politics and an effective rejoinder to inaccurate information put out by others. How messengers behave is, however, very important. When a group claims to have moral right on its side, then it is guilty of defending the internally respected and powerful at the expense of standing up for the vulnerable, it is hypocritical and nasty. It should be a priority for the independence movement to challenge antediluvian views wherever they come from, and not to accept them, tolerate them or sweep them under the carpet just because the guy "writes some good stuff".

Your concern trolling about "identity-based politics" is getting more and more tedious by the day.

Curiously, I don't remember seeing this much greeting about identity politics when a campaign to "put country before party" and vote for your shan little party in 15 odd constituencies was being publicly promoted by the Lib Dems' political opponents and the national broadcaster.

Identity politics as defined by you. I.e. What some randoms on a football forum think about a pointless argument: Depressing, dangerous etc etc.

The actual business of identity-based politics: Not so much hysterics.

P.s. Before I'm dragged into this, mark me down as absolutely dont give a f**k about what Stuart Campbell thinks. I wouldn't expect 55% of the country to defend the absolute fruitcakes who run all those SNPBAD blogs, so I'm not sure why we ought to care about what the SNPGOOD guy thinks about transgender people.

A campaign to put country before party isn't identity politics.

Identity politics is to put a group identity (e.g. nationality or statehood) before either or both of ideology or policy.

It is just as undesirable among the SNP-bad crew. I have no truck with British nationalism.

Lots of Hearts fans, who are probably quite decent people in everyday life, persist in singing "the Hibees are gay" at matches.

No we haven't. That song hasn't had an airing for years.

• 1 month later...

Archived