Visiting Old Trafford - advice

Deefiant

You won't have as much time as you think, if you want to take it all in and do the whole tourist thing. In all honesty I would be going to the ground at least 90 minutes before kick off if you want your photos taked beside all the landmarks, take a wander round the ground (and get a look at all the players cars at the same time), a trip to the superstore is a must and bear in mind there will be long long queues in there, usually foreign types spending hundreds of pounds on utter pish. You usually see a few celebrities kicking around as well.

Honestly, it's a great day out, expensive with three kids though I expect once you buy programmes and shit.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been down a few times and always get served no bother in Sam Platts on canal side opposite Premier Inn. They have massive tent erected in the car park....£1 a head to get past the stewards and good atmosphere if you're a home fan and 5 minute walk to the ground.

I took my Dad down to a game for his 70th and there are no tours on the day of a game, but if you are there on the day after or the evening before it might be possible. You can book this via the Manchester United website.

As has been said the national football museum is now in Manchester. I have not visited it there but when it was at Preston North End it was always a good place to go and is not as "Engerland 1966" centred as I had assumed it would be.

The ground is also near all the media city developments but they are probably a bit young to be interested in this.

Take them back to the past of Dundee and go on the trams as something different to get back from the game.

As has been said the national football museum is now in Manchester. I have not visited it there but when it was at Preston North End it was always a good place to go and is not as "Engerland 1966" centred as I had assumed it would be.

The new location is much the same. Really worth going to.

The football museum is free, which makes it even better - although they do charge for a few exhibits and seem to have someone employed just to stop you taking your own picture of the FA Cup rather than paying a tenner to have them take a photo.

Done a tour of Old Trafford a few seasons ago and went to the Man City vs Wigan game (City won 3-0) a few year ago. The tour is cracking tbf, but I felt more distinctly welcomed at the Etihad. Seemed a much more relaxed attitude whereas the Man United staff managed to give off a sneering (Celtic Park kind of vibe). The City beer garden (I can't remember what it's called - and that's the best description I can give of it) was absolutely brilliant.

Glad I experienced it, but was definitely more impressed with City than I was United.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this back to the top as I'm hoping to go to Man Utd v Leicester in September (was surprised to see I'd already posted on this thread!).

Got a meeting in the city centre the Friday before so planning to stay overnight, go to the game (which has been confirmed for the Saturday lunchtime) then get the train back. Take it the tram is the best way to get to the game - I used it when I wandered around on a weekday a few years ago but imagine it'll be rather busier on gameday!

Also, what's the best way to get tickets? Don't fancy paying thirty or forty quid on the Man Utd website just for the privilege of being able to buy tickets.

Archived