Annoying political soundbite phrases

Antlion

"We need a robust debate over the issue"

"Root and branch review"

And after that "root and branch review" we'll have a new "package" of policies to "put before the British people" "going forward".

Since when did "going forward" replace "in the future"?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything said by Kezia Dugdale or Willie Rennie ever, two of the worst human beings on the planet.

"I want to make sure every child in Scotland gets the best possible start in life" (so I campaigned hard to maintain the union with the Tories and ensure that Scotland will get Conservative governments whenever England elects them).

"Scotland can't afford five years of another Tory government" (see previous brackets).

"The gap between the richest children and the ... rest ... has never been bigger" (I've noticed she's deliberately stopped saying "the poorest" when she trots out that line - wonder which adviser told her calling swathes of kids "the poorest" was not voter-friendly).

"I got into politics to make a difference".

I'd provide some of Rennie's hackneyed buzz phrases but for the life of me I cannot think of anything he says. All I think of when I imagine him is the way he always clasps his hands in front of him whenever he speaks, like a prim, arthritic old lady.

"We've learned our lesson" usually uttered by Labour (north Brit branch) who then go on to make the same mistakes over and over again.

"WE'RE CHANGING"

"LABOUR VALUES!"

"No, we're really CHANGING!"

"Come home to Labour!"

"PLEASE!"

"Broken Britain" used to be popular, as did "nanny state".

"Our NHS is at breaking point."

"This government has taken its eye of the ball."

"People are sick of hearing about [insert something the politician in question desperately doesn't want to talk about].

Here's a niche one that I've seen said on three occasions by three separate politicians, all on Question Time:

"As Voltaire said, I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire never said or wrote that you smug twats.

"Labour in Scotland will run it's own affairs without interference from London" Aye right will it f**k

"The three major parties" Ach well two out of three ain't bad

"The Lib Dems will rise again" Were they ever up there in the first place? They were always just a bunch of political whores who would sell their grannies for a shot of the big time.

"Anti Tory alliance"

"Helping people back into work" No you aren't. You would be quite happy to exterminate them first you pig fucking tory c***s

"This great country of ours" So much fail

"Hope over fear" Citizen Tommy's favoured title is one that is as cringeworthy as it comes.

"The 56 55" SNP group at Westminster if you please.

"Patriot" When used in a political context is bullshit of the highest order.

Not a phrase but any politician who has their smiling gormless face at the opening of a foodbank can just f**k off.

"Wastemonster" No explanation required.

I could go on...

Oh aye, forgot another favourite of Dishface's. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but he isn't half fond of saying "it's the right thing to do".

I wonder if introducing his private member's bill into a severed pig's mouth was a "difficult decision" but ultimately "the right thing to do".

"Let me be clear..."

... followed by meaningless, PR speak drivel, that's as clear as mud. The young 'professional looking' but not much going on between the ears class (e.g. Pretti Patel on QT) are bad for this shite.

Archived