World cup 2018 campaign

he gets abuse because he is the Manager and it is he who selects the team, anyone who has even the most basic knowledge of football will understand that. If he isn't happy or feels the players aren't good enough then its up to him to change that by selecting ones who have the potential to be better. He is nothing more than a hypocrite if come September we still see the names of Hutton, Greer, Mulgrew, Brown, Naismith and Fletcher in the starting 11 but lets be honest here, we all know he will never willingly drop any of them.

It's very easy to suggest which players should be punted - it's much more difficult to suggest players to replace them (without being laughed at).

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at doing my first away trip to Slovenia in October, what are the do's and dont's?

Do make sure you book for October 2017.

Don't book for October 2016 as we play Lithuania and Slovakia that month.

he gets abuse because he is the Manager and it is he who selects the team, anyone who has even the most basic knowledge of football will understand that. If he isn't happy or feels the players aren't good enough then its up to him to change that by selecting ones who have the potential to be better. He is nothing more than a hypocrite if come September we still see the names of Hutton, Greer, Mulgrew, Brown, Naismith and Fletcher in the starting 11 but lets be honest here, we all know he will never willingly drop any of them.

That's almost exclusively nonsense.  He's not a club manager.  He doesn't have the option of just going out and getting a better player.  The more sensible people on this board have realised that with only a few exceptions, he's picked the best players he has available. 

Saying he should replace players with those who are potentially better isn't even right either.  In a literal sense, I'd probably rather keep £100 then put that £100 on a chance to win £110.  That's essentially what he'd be doing.  In a football sense, it's also not going to work for various reasons that have already been done to death.

And like SpoonTon says, it's much more difficult to actually suggest valid alternatives.  So let's play a game - you mention Hutton, Greer, Mulgrew, Brown, Naismith and Fletcher.  I'd say four of them are probably starters, but since you mentioned them, let's take it to 5 (Mulgrew isn't a starter).  With Hutton at RB, Greer at CB, Brown in a holding role, and Naismith behind Fletcher, who would you call up that Strachan isn't picking?  You've bleated on for ages about dropping players, but never heard you actually suggest anything new.

Ryan Jack? he isn't even good enough for Aberdeen let alone Scotland......

I am not saying start Ryan Gauld but purely for getting him in and around the feel of international Football he Should be called up as regularly as possible, same with the likes of John McGinn, Tierney and a few others.

To answer your question if I had to select the next 11 for first qualifier and bearing in mind Strachan is obsessed with 4231 it will be the same formation:

Marshall

Patterson

Hanley

Martin

Tierney or Robertson, either is fine

Morrison

McArthur

Anya

Snodgrass

Ritchie

McCormack

If it was a 442 I would bench Morrison and have Anya and Ritchie wide with Rhodes or Griffiths joining McCormack up top.

I am not saying start Ryan Gauld but purely for getting him in and around the feel of international Football he Should be called up as regularly as possible, same with the likes of John McGinn, Tierney and a few others.

To answer your question if I had to select the next 11 for first qualifier and bearing in mind Strachan is obsessed with 4231 it will be the same formation:

Marshall

Patterson

Hanley

Martin

Morrison

McArthur

Anya

Snodgrass

Ritchie

McCormack

If it was a 442 I would bench Morrison and have Anya and Ritchie wide with Rhodes or Griffiths joining McCormack up top.

I look at that team and qualification has never seemed so far away.

Marshall

Patterson

Hanley

Martin

Morrison

McArthur

Anya

Snodgrass

Ritchie

McCormack

So you'd play largely the same team that Strachan does then?  I'd say 8 of your 11 would start most games, with probably Brown in for McArthur (could change) , Fletcher in for McCormack and Hutton in for Patterson.  I'd agree that we should explore other options than Brown, unless he comes back markedly improved from last season.  I disagree on Fletcher (I'm sure you'll have something to say about that).  Kind of agree about Hutton.  Still think he's our best option, and don't think Patterson is quite ready yet.

Very much disagree about the 4-4-2.  We'd be ridiculously exposed with that.

I'm sure that if you put, Maloney in for Snodgrass (as injured), Fletcher in for McCormack and Hutton in for Patterson in troopios team that's the same team that played v Poland/Germany at home in last 2 games.

Yes I would because I think the biggest part of the problem is not the actual Players but the Management style Strachan has. A more ruthless Manager would not show any sentiment to certain things and they would certainly see past their misguided loyalty to certain Players namely his loyalty to Hutton, Naismith, Fletcher, Brown and Mulgrew is getting in the way of us trying to improve and move forward. They have had their time, its time for us to move on with our thanks for their service and loyalty.

We have agreed to disagree on  Fletcher before but the reality is if he is not playing at all and or sitting on a bench for some cannon fodder Premiership side then should he still be getting automatic starts for us when potentially there are others who will maybe be playing more regularly and most importantly, scoring? For example what happens if Griffiths fires Celtic into the Champions League Group Stages, plays regularly there and scores, does he continue to get overlooked for Fletcher who will most likely be slothing about picking up scraps for Hull City?

Yes I would because I think the biggest part of the problem is not the actual Players but the Management style Strachan has. A more ruthless Manager would not show any sentiment to certain things and they would certainly see past their misguided loyalty to certain Players namely his loyalty to Hutton, Naismith, Fletcher, Brown and Mulgrew is getting in the way of us trying to improve and move forward. They have had their time, its time for us to move on with our thanks for their service and loyalty.

We have agreed to disagree on  Fletcher before but the reality is if he is not playing at all and or sitting on a bench for some cannon fodder Premiership side then should he still be getting automatic starts for us when potentially there are others who will maybe be playing more regularly and most importantly, scoring? For example what happens if Griffiths fires Celtic into the Champions League Group Stages, plays regularly there and scores, does he continue to get overlooked for Fletcher who will most likely be slothing about picking up scraps for Hull City?

So it's not the actual players, it's the management style,  because he's picking the actual players.  Wit?

Fletcher doesn't get automatic starts.  He gets starts because he is the best option we have for how we've planned on playing in most games.  If there was a better option, he'd have played instead.  I would love for there to be a better option.  There isn't.  Griffiths will probably continue to be selected for the squad, and will be competing for a start.  He hasn't exactly impressed for Scotland, but that's irrelevant because they're different players.  If you're looking for someone to run onto balls beyond the defenders, you're not going to pick Fletcher over Griffiths.  But if you're wanting a player to hold it up and bring midfielders into the game, then you're probably not going to pick Griffiths. 

The players aren't the problem, they're better than what say South Ireland have, a comparison to them as they finished 3 points above Scotland. The manager is.

The players aren't the problem, they're better than what say South Ireland have, a comparison to them as they finished 3 points above Scotland. The manager is.

I don't think it's as simple as saying that the players or manager were at fault.  It's very rarely as black and white as that.  No matter how many groans of derision it gets, our campaign hinged on one game in the end.  Gib...nah, it's Georgia again.  Strachan could perhaps be blamed for setting us up badly initially, but the players have to shoulder some of the blame for performing so exquisitely dreadfully that night. 

Even if we do have better players overall than ROI, that doesn't really mean much.  In fact, I'd say that means they get more of the blame.  If they're better, they should have been able to do enough. 

By no means am I saying Strachan is blameless in anything.  He's made mistakes, some of which he made up for some he didn't.  But the players aren't absolved of blame, along with a variety of other factors.  It's the best team effort we've managed.

How many of our players would get into Irelands team... Morrison or Fletcher maybe, Ritchie?

Now look at how many players we'd take from them... Coleman, Brady, O Shea, Clark, McCarthy, Long at a minimum. I'd say we definitely had a better keeper but Randolph is at West Ham and Given is decent too, not much in it.

Moaners: "Strachan needs to find a new system to use our best players. Disgraceful."

Strachan: "We need to find the best system to use our best players."

Moaners: "How dare he say that. Disgraceful."

Not like they just moan about anything and everything though eh.

How many of our players would get into Irelands team... Morrison or Fletcher maybe, Ritchie?

Now look at how many players we'd take from them... Coleman, Brady, O Shea, Clark, McCarthy, Long at a minimum. I'd say we definitely had a better keeper but Randolph is at West Ham and Given is decent too, not much in it.

I agree with this.

I really dont understand our fans who have come out with the statements that we are much better than the Republic of Ireland and that we should have had" a walk in the park" 6 points against them.

Dont know if it was the game at home or in Dublin, we started the game with 6 players performing in the EPL whereas Ireland starting line up contained 9 such players.

We got what we should I think. We're not that much better and 4 points is fine.

4 points against Ireland and a pair of draws with Poland was a decent return

What really killed us was the reverse in Georgia.

4 points against Ireland and a pair of draws with Poland was a decent return

What really killed us was the reverse in Georgia.

The second Poland game was a victory stolen in the last minute aswell.

Georgia definitely killed us though.

Archived