World cup 2018 campaign

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I agree: I can see Strachan walking away at Xmas and then a few years later writing a column saying he wished he'd called it a day after the previous campaign. Hope I'm wrong and that he can recapture the spirit of optimism from his early reign, but it feels like that's irretrievable given that neither players nor staff seem in the right place to try to lift the team again.

Well, we'll see. I'll try to be optimistic for now. Our first two games are Malta and Lithuania while Slovakia start with England and then Slovenia away. Vital we win our opening games and we could go to Slovakia for the third game with a six point advantage over them which would leave them under a lot of pressure.

I think playing somebody absolutely god awful in a friendly might be worth our while.  Artificially inflate the goalscoring records of a few players.  Wayne Rooney has 50 odd goals.  Scotland's top scorer is, who?  Fletcher?  

Unfortunately I agree: I can see Strachan walking away at Xmas and then a few years later writing a column saying he wished he'd called it a day after the previous campaign. Hope I'm wrong and that he can recapture the spirit of optimism from his early reign, but it feels like that's irretrievable given that neither players nor staff seem in the right place to try to lift the team again.

Worth remembering actually how good we were initially under wgs, especially home n away against Croatia. We look a million miles away from that side now. Not sure if it was because he took over in a dead campaign and pished the bed as soon as he had a live campaign and something to lose. Somewhere along the line team selections became increasingly bizarre and interviews before and after matches increased in levels of delusion. Would love to be proved wrong but right now can't see him staying in the job being good for either him or the team.

I reckon we will do okay against the big three teams teams in the group. Can see us nicking a draw or even a win against England and getting 2-4 points from each of the Slovs. We should also pump Malta.

Can see us fucking it up by dropping points against Lithuania.

I used to be a Strachan fan but after travelling to France last week and watching that performance he really has knocked the stuffing oot o me.

I wish I had your optimism bud but feel we are now back at vogts level.

Ok only friendly last week but how many actual shots at goal have we managed in the last 4 or 5 games (Gibraltar aside) ?

I think playing somebody absolutely god awful in a friendly might be worth our while. Artificially inflate the goalscoring records of a few players. Wayne Rooney has 50 odd goals. Scotland's top scorer is, who? Fletcher?

Before Malta maybe? A shooty-in vs Andorra? Then a lap of honour and photo sesh at the end (joking about the last bit)

Yeah Fletcher is our current top scorer, 8 in 28 (2 in 26 if you look past the Gibraltar games). None of our current fwd players look like 'goal machines'. Naismith's record is woeful too which is why I think there is such a clamour for the likes of griffiths and Rhodes - tho we'd need to play differently to get the best out of these guys.

Looking at the Wales side would a 5-3-2 not be ideal to play against Slovakia?

-On of the three GKs-

---------Martin-Hanley-Mulgrew----

Anya----------------------Robertson/Tierney/Kingsley

--------Morrison-Fletcher-mccathur

---------Fletcher-Rhodes/Griffiths/Martin

Would look allot better if we had Bale, Ramsey and Allan tbh.

I'm sure Strachan has flirted with a 3-5-2 before, against Nigeria at Craven Cottage and another friendly away to Norway. From admittedly poor memory, I don't think it did many favours for us at all. Being weak in central midfield and central defence is a big reason as to why we never qualified for the Euros so it might be tempting to put one more player in those positions, but a 3-5-2 sacrifices at least two of our best attacking threats playing in their best positions- i.e. Ritchie, Snodgrass, Anya.

How many times have we given a dud manager the benefit of the doubt and another campaign, which they've fucked up and been sacked/walked half way though?

I'll make a bold prediction this will happen. We'll then appoint our next chancer who will show 'positive progress' in the latter half of the dead campaign but ultimately fail to qualify for Euro2020. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt and another campaign...

How many times have we given a dud manager the benefit of the doubt and another campaign, which they've fucked up and been sacked/walked half way though?

I'll make a bold prediction this will happen. We'll then appoint our next chancer who will show 'positive progress' in the latter half of the dead campaign but ultimately fail to qualify for Euro2020. We'll give him the benefit of the doubt and another campaign...

Yep, its a never ending cycle isn't it?  The SFA don't have the balls to sack someone at the end of a campaign.  They wait until the middle of the next one when qualification is beyond Scotland.  Then the new manager gets the last 3 games of that one then the whole of the next campaign and do exactly the same as their predecessor.  It's been like this since 1998.

I was initially alright with Strachan staying. People go on about us not improving under him, but I think we have - or had till a certain point.

But his recent shift in attitude to "Oh, we don't have enough players playing at the top level" or "We don't have a Bale or Ibra" - what the f**k is that all about? Making excuses before a campaign, this early? Not saying that it's bullshit, because it's true, but how is that going to inspire any confidence in the players? 

It just seems he's totally shifted his positive attitude to a Levein-esque gloom and doom approach. Baffling.

Archived