Doncaster wants more from Beeb

I see Neil Doncaster is in the papers repeating calls for the BBC to pay more for SPFL highlights, just as Ralph Topping did recently.

It seems alarmingly daft to expect the Beeb to pay more than they need to for something in the current climate. Wouldn't the SPFL be better off insisting on better coverage from the BBC as part of any deal rather than just expecting a handout? They should insist on UK-wide terrestrial broadcasting of highlights (doesn't have to be same time slot as Scotland), highlights of all/more Championship games, guaranteed preview shows etc. At least this would increase the value of stuff like shirt sponsorships and advertising.

I suspect ND will f*** it all up and we'll end up with no highlights at all. In some ways, I wouldn't mind, as it would be a useful stick to beat the BBC with, but at the end of the day we need to improve coverage.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my sales are down, I often find that moaning at people for not buying more is the way to go, rather that trying to make my products more appealing.

When my sales are down, I often find that moaning at people for not buying more is the way to go, rather that trying to make my products more appealing.

There was a burd who owned a local jewellery shop in Perth who actually did this in the local paper. Needless to say the shop is now shut.

^^^^ Old prozzie.

Actually flattered you think I'd have had some sales when I was younger :P

There was a burd who owned a local jewellery shop in Perth who actually did this in the local paper. Needless to say the shop is now shut.

Aye, there used to be a bike shop in Alloa that tried the same thing - "you young whippersnappers with your internets are killing our business, we've been here 25 years, ain't nobody gives us no 'spect, yo". Same result.

When you get to that stage, it's time to walk away and try your hand at something else. Not that I'm aiming that comment at any particular Scottish association football executives :P

In what way is that actually relevant?

You're quite right; he's actually moaning that people aren't willing to pay more for what they're already buying, as with the sponsorship fiasco.

He ought to call their bluff; clearly there are better offers from other broadcasters if the Beeb aren't paying 'enough' :rolleyes:

You're quite right; he's actually moaning that people aren't willing to pay more for what they're already buying, as with the sponsorship fiasco.

He ought to call their bluff; clearly there are better offers from other broadcasters if the Beeb aren't paying 'enough' :rolleyes:

Sales aren't down though. That's not the point here. You can't pretend that the BBC are a company like Sky or BT (and you certainly can't pretend that they're like the customers of a small shop - that's an irrelevant comparison). It's only right that we put pressure on them - you can surely see the political situation which this relates to? Should we not look to get a better deal through tapping into this?

It's only right that we put pressure on them - you can surely see the political situation which this relates to? Should we not look to get a better deal through tapping into this?

I agree that we should put pressure on them, but expecting them to pay a lot more than 1m for highlights when BT only pay about 6m for 30+ live matches plus highlights isn't realistic. We should pressure the BBC to provide more and better coverage, and use the fact we are stuck in a UK-wide TV market to insist on UK-wide coverage. Those things would be very valuable in terms of sponsorship and advertising.

I agree that we should put pressure on them, but expecting them to pay a lot more than 1m for highlights when BT only pay about 6m for 30+ live matches plus highlights isn't realistic. We should pressure the BBC to provide more and better coverage, and use the fact we are stuck in a UK-wide TV market to insist on UK-wide coverage. Those things would be very valuable in terms of sponsorship and advertising.

I agree that a fundamental part of the problem is what the BBC have been willing to bid for in terms of TV packages; I don't know if there's any quick remedy to that in the middle of the current deal with BT and Sky. They didn't bid for any decent package of live games, they didn't bid for any exclusivity on TV highlights, and they don't provide any sort of decent amount of television coverage. I really think that the BBC does Scottish football and its fans a massive disservice at the moment. I think the time has come to say to them that if their not serious about Scottish football then what little they do have (especially the online highlights) will be moved elsewhere. I think its right that we put pressure on them to become more serious about Scottish football in the future - and if not then perhaps this becomes tied in with the larger issue of the future of the BBC.

Yes, I agree it should be part of a wider look at reform of the BBC and devolution of broadcasting responsibilities.

I think the SPFL will have more luck through that route, but they should focus on getting better coverage, not just a bigger fee from the BBC.

It matters not a jot what the people think . If Cockwomble thinks it's right it will be done. ...........Just like his fantastic (1970s / 80s style ) League Cup revamp.

The League Cup revamp. A real crowd puller.

Exactly.............I take it he's not a golfer ? June / July = golfing season ..........FFs even Ireland have admitted defeat on summer football !!!

1. Golf? f**k off.

2. Doncaster is basically a spokesperson for the clubs here. It's not him making the decisions.

1. Golf? f**k off.

2. Doncaster is basically a spokesperson for the clubs here. It's not him making the decisions.

1. Golf = Summer sport ........ Football = Winter sport .

2. Doncaster is a nomark puppet with no real interest in the wellbeing of Scottish football other than to balance books and keep himself in a job .

Scottish football needs overhauled from the top right down to the bottom . Neither Doncaster , Regan or any of the club chairmen have the balls to actually admit this or do anything serious about it mainly due to self interest .

1. Golf = Summer sport ........ Football = Winter sport .

2. Doncaster is a nomark puppet with no real interest in the wellbeing of Scottish football other than to balance books and keep himself in a job .

Scottish football needs overhauled from the top right down to the bottom . Neither Doncaster , Regan or any of the club chairmen have the balls to actually admit this or do anything serious about it mainly due to self interest .

Golf is irrelevant to football. I'm not in favour of a summer season, but I'm not too fussed about adding a stage to a minor cup competition to help clubs with revenue over July. Seems like a decent enough move from the clubs. There's nothing much to lose with this one, even if it doesn't work out that successfully.

Golf is irrelevant to football. I'm not in favour of a summer season, but I'm not too fussed about adding a stage to a minor cup competition to help clubs with revenue over July. Seems like a decent enough move from the clubs. There's nothing much to lose with this one, even if it doesn't work out that successfully.

Golf is just one summer pusuit that some football fans prefer . Tennis , bowls , hiking, foreign holidays , gardening , family outings etc . also take priority in the better weather. No one has taken these into consideration for those fortunate enough to have lives beyond football and drinking !!!!

It seems that clubs and authorities are merely tinkering with half baked ideas rather than addressing the real issues of how we can stop our teams regularly failing in Europe and strengthening our International team so that they can compete at a higher level more regularly. Perhaps the self interest issues are the ones to be addressed first and foremost.

When any changes occur , the first thing the club chairmen think is ...How will that affect our club ! Very little consideration is given to any long term advancement.

I don't know how many times I have said this , but we need to take a look at how the German's addressed their failing system many years ago.

Golf is just one summer pusuit that some football fans prefer . Tennis , bowls , hiking, foreign holidays , gardening , family outings etc . also take priority in the better weather. No one has taken these into consideration for those fortunate enough to have lives beyond football and drinking !!!!

It seems that clubs and authorities are merely tinkering with half baked ideas rather than addressing the real issues of how we can stop our teams regularly failing in Europe and strengthening our International team so that they can compete at a higher level more regularly. Perhaps the self interest issues are the ones to be addressed first and foremost.

When any changes occur , the first thing the club chairmen think is ...How will that affect our club ! Very little consideration is given to any long term advancement.

I don't know how many times I have said this , but we need to take a look at how the German's addressed their failing system many years ago.

As I said, I'm not in favour of a summer season. I agree that there's less alternatives from late summer through to spring (apart from in December, when Christmas activities take over) than there is in June/July. Should that mean the option isn't there for those who would still attend matches in a lesser competition? I don't think so. There's no harm in seeing if there is an interest there. The pull of activities such as golf isn't so great that people lose all interest in football over the summer.

What are the 'real issues'?

As I said, I'm not in favour of a summer season. I agree that there's less alternatives from late summer through to spring (apart from in December, when Christmas activities take over) than there is in June/July. Should that mean the option isn't there for those who would still attend matches in a lesser competition? I don't think so. There's no harm in seeing if there is an interest there. The pull of activities such as golf isn't so great that people lose all interest in football over the summer.

What are the 'real issues'?

The real issues .

1. Grass roots football ....... Why are kids discouraged to kick a ball around on grass areas and develop basic skills ? Why are less and less schools playing football against other schools and why can't we have extra curricular football sessions like we did in my younger day ? Over the years, this has been one of the major factors in discouraging any kid with natural talent......... As recently stated by Alex Ferguson.

I am sure our football authorities could state a case for schools to encourage P.E. (now deemed unneccesary learning ) and in particular football to try once more to help produce the natural talent as happened pre 90's .

2. Facilities........ Lack of accessible facilities around all the new green field housing developments is a disgrace. Again our authorities should be lobbying local and national governments to demand that housing developers must include a sports field within their new schemes. They are very quick to demand exorbitant maintenance payments to look after grass areas in these schemes giving very little in return.

At least then there would be no excuses for kids having nowhere to play.

3. Falling attendances....... On the domestic front our product quality has undoubtedly fallen over the years as can be seen clearly by our failure in European competition. This needs to be addressed . .......Hopefully not by throwing money at the problem by clubs buying inferior foriegn players as has been the case before. More concentrate on the issues stated above and try to develop our own talent again.

However the recent rise in self belief on the international front has indicated that there is still a passion for us to do well .... going by the frequent sell out of home matches. Perhaps some coaching in self belief might help .

That is just a start. I am sure Cockwomble and Regan can and should be doing more to convince local and national governments that football is our national sport and that we should be doing all we can to encourage it in schools and communities.

Archived