The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Tacky in the extreme.

I actually think such shit is genuinely massively disrespectful.

I bet if any of the folk who served in WW1 or 2 saw that they'd cringe themselves inside out and (rightfully) think the guy who did is a massive w****r.

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I think he should wear one to commemorate the thousands of Irishmen who died in WW1 fighting for the British armed forces.

Britannia bade our wild geese "Go, that small nations might be free"

But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves on the fringe of the Great North Sea

What I find annoying about that letter is that they're telling you to force your child to wear a poppy (with pride, might I add) but then the last sentence of the letter suggests that none of the fucking kids have been told what it's about. 

Be proud wearing this poppy, even though you have virtually no understanding of what it means. 

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What I find annoying about that letter is that they're telling you to force your child to wear a poppy (with pride, might I add) but then the last sentence of the letter suggests that none of the fucking kids have been told what it's about. 

Be proud wearing this poppy, even though you have virtually no understanding of what it means. 

These sort of people strike me as particularly unsuitable to teach kids. I get that we live in a diverse society and not every teacher will be the smartest, kindest, most knowledgeable, etc, and to some extent market forces mean your kids will be taught by people who wouldn't be your first pick. But this particular Head Teacher seems to think (i) there's a singular and simple meaning behind the poppy, and (ii) it is undoubtedly a source of pride and not any other emotion. This inability to comprehend the idea that meaning is subjective seems anathema to teaching. But maybe this c**t went into it motivated by a kind-hearted desire to help kids learn the "right" way to think, behave etc.

Edit: having said that, over the past few years I've distanced myself from public discourse, become apolitical, and spend my time with a woman who jobs as a musician and was raised in west Africa and a bunch of other unusual sorts. I do often forget how orthodox certain ideas are across GB, such as wearing a poppy. I'm probably overreacting.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher