My NBA Season - 2015-16

Marshmallo

I have been betting on NBA matches sporadically for a couple of years now without really tracking how I've been getting on. Football has always been my main sport for following/betting/watching/devoting ridiculous amounts of time. However, I have been following the NBA pretty closely for the last four years and I'm looking to ramp up the betting on it this year, at least in terms of volume to see if I can make a profit betting on it long term. I was going to track my bets more formally so I thought I'd post my bets on here to see how I get on.

As I have an office job Monday-Friday I won't be watching many, if any, of the games live. I watch about half an hour of highlights a day, I play fantasy basketball so I'm pretty in tune with the stats, and I read some journalistic content. My bets will largely be based on form and gut feeling.

With games every night feedback should be pretty rapid so if I'm hemorrhaging cash I can cut back or stop quickly. I will try to put my bets on early in the morning since the odds can move fairly quickly over the course of a day. Stakes will be low and I'll be posting them in units.

I'll post bets in individual posts but will update the OP with my PnL and a record of my bets. If this dies on its arse so be it. You'll just need to take my word with the first bet I had on last week.

October 2015

28/10 - Detroit Pistons at home to Utah Jazz - 2 units at 2.05 - Returned 4.1 units

October PnL: +2.1 units

November 2015

02/11 - Milwaukee Bucks @ Brooklyn Nets - 2.1 units at 1.952 (20/21) - Returned 4.1 units

03/11 - Sacramento Kings at home to Memphis Grizzlies - 1.2 units at 2.75 - Returned 0 units

03/11 - Denver Nuggets @ LA Lakers - 1.6 units at 1.83 - Returned 2.93 units

04/11 - Orlando Magic @ Houston Rockets - 0.4 units at 4.75 - Returned 0 units

04/11 - Toronto Raptors @ Oklahoma City Thunder - 0.6 units at 4.75 - Returned 2.85 units

06/11 - Milwaukee Bucks @ New York Knicks - 2 units at 2.00 - Returned 4 units

06/11 - Washington Wizards @ Boston Celtics - 2 units at 1.91 - Returned 0 units

08/11 - Toronto Raptors @ Miami Heat - 2 units at 2.25 - Returned 0 units

10/11 - Milwaukee Bucks at home to Boston Celtics - 2 units at 1.91 - Returned 0 units

10/11 - Minnesota Timberwolves at home to Charlotte Hornets - 2 units at 2.18 - Returned 0 units

25/11 - Atlanta Hawks @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 2.6 units at 1.77 - Returned 0 units

November PnL: -4.62 units

Season PnL: -2.52 units

Me & a few uni mates used to chip in and pay for a "premium" NBA tipping service every month, which was generally very reliable for us (although my stakes were so low back then that it was pretty much a pointless exercise). To this day I've never watched much basketball and have basically no input on how any individual game is going to go, but a general trend I learned about is that betting on bad teams to cover big spreads (+12 and above) is something which seems to work regularly.

This is something I've taken over into NFL betting as well, which has a similar percentage of big spreads being covered. Obviously betting exclusively based on trends wouldn't be particularly advisable, but it's definitely worth considering.

Good luck with your bets.

I don't particularly like betting on the spread and will probably be keeping to the money line. That may progress as the season marches on

I was useful with spreads on NFL but Basketball is always hard to second guess with so many games. Cleveland at -13.5 against the 76ers was tempting too considering how well thye've played.

Went with the Thunder and the Bucks road double. Bucks is a bit of a stab in the dark but the Nets have been pretty rancid from what I've seen of them. Westbrook should go off again tonight.

To this day I've never watched much basketball and have basically no input on how any individual game is going to go, but a general trend I learned about is that betting on bad teams to cover big spreads (+12 and above) is something which seems to work regularly.

Yeh, they tend to end up covering as the other team stops giving a f**k near the end and the garbage time points get you your cover, won quite a few thanks to this

Of course James Harden decided to turn up against the Thunder, I went to bed with the Thunder up 15 and looking totally dominant and woke up very disapointed. Should have followed my gut and went for the Spurs handicap...

Sacramento Kings 89-103 Memphis Grizzlies

LA Lakers 109-120 Denver Nuggets

Slight profit of 0.13 units last night.

Today's bets

Orlando Magic @ Houston Rockets - 0.4 units at 4.75

Toronto Raptors @ Oklahoma City Thunder - 0.6 units at 4.75

I was on the Bucks last night, unfortunately my nets team look like being one of the worst in the league (somehow even worse than the 6ers)

Tonight the Raptors look far too big at 11/10 against the Heat. Raptors record is 5-1 with their only loss coming against Orlando in a close game where as the heat sit at 3-3 and I would t have them as favourites.

Tried betting the spread last night as i was bored during her watching x factor

Covered 6 fold, 5 folds and 4 folds from

Magic -3

Timberwolves +9.5

Hornets +9

Jazz -2

Kings +13

Rockets +7

Only the hornets done my 6 fold, got the rest, worked out a fifteen quid profit from a fiver bet

I agree with that Raptors shout, Carroll has looked a great addition and in Lowry and DeRozan they've got loads of scoring power. Valanciunas is having a bit of a breakout year too.

Toronto Raptors @ Miami Heat - 2 units at 2.25

Archived