McNamara gets York job

Jambo'ness

What a crazy statement/decision from the board. Spineless too, didn't have the guts to sack him but didn't have the guts to stick it out and say nothing to the fans and take the abuse for that, so they make this half arsed statement. The players who don't want him there (them all presumably) will chuck it on Saturday to get him punted. Even if he does get a 'positive result', how much time does that buy him?

It's an absolute farce. I can't recall any club coming out with a statement like that.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway aside from rail ticketing trivia heard McNamara briefly on Radio 5 earlier pouring out a tale of woe to the presenter after they reported on this bizarre ultimatum.  He basically mumbled that he took full responsibility (again), and he'd try and turn it around but he actually seemed pretty apathetic as to whether or not he really wanted to keep the job anyway.  Which is probably just as well given he most likely won't.  He sounded pretty down about the whole situation which is unsurprising, to the extent I almost felt a wee bit sorry for him.  

But then he went on about how he was sticking it out when a weaker man would have cleared off by now and basically painted himself as some sort of principled man of steel who wouldn't walk away.*  And he also insinuated the fare-dodging episode was part of some campaign of victimisation against him again, and that he was being defamed somehow by it being reported when he'd done nothing wrong.  Aside from travelling on a train without paying evidently, although he seemed to suggest the court had found he'd done nothing wrong.  Bit weird he was fined then.

So my sympathy for him sort of evaporated once again.

* This sort of thing:

"Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to just walk away, hold your hands up and let somebody else come in...sometimes the hardest thing to do is to stand up and fight and try and change it."

What a hero eh?

Braintree have been having a poor season too, but I suspect York will get pummelled down there and that will be the end.

Crazy statement fro the York chairman. Gives Sackie a lot of wriggle room too. "We only lost 2-0 today and the players tried hard, so I'm staying".

4 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

He's even taking the "credit" for it too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37566392

"McNamara said it was his idea to release a club statement which indicated he was considering his position at Bootham Crescent."

:rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

And he also insinuated the fare-dodging episode was part of some campaign of victimisation against him again,

Oh please let the ticket inspector that collared him be a York supporter.

50 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

7/5 with coral just to win. That my friends is free money

Eta Braintree -1 is 7/2 and -2 is 9/1

9/1 is seriously tempting. York will get pumped

Snakey is probably trolling us all and is going to lump all the money he made from the Utd to Celtic transfers and his train fare savings on a York win. :lol:

However, I might stick my dough on Braintree win/Over 2.5 match goals, which is currently 5/2 on bet365.

Braintree will be on many accumulators this weekend, so can't see that 7/5 being around by kick-off time. Wouldn't surprise me if they go odds-on.

11 hours ago, jmothecat said:

None at York. Biggest station I can think of that doesn't have barriers. Great station, but I'm mainly saying that because it is attached to the railway museum which really is fantastic.

York introduces barriers (well revenue protection staff) when there are big race meetings on. 

Sheffield station has no barriers as there's a public thoroughfare from one end to the other. I think the rail authorities have tried to overturn this for years. 

Not that I'm a fare dodger :D

Back on topic defo worth punting against York on Saturday. 

Are folk maybe getting a bit carried away lumping on Braintree? They're below York in the league, have only won once all season and are currently on a losing run of 4 games. I wouldn't be touching that gang, regardless of how desperate the York situation is.

Are folk maybe getting a bit carried away lumping on Braintree? They're below York in the league, have only won once all season and are currently on a losing run of 4 games. I wouldn't be touching that gang, regardless of how desperate the York situation is.

Guiseley were even worse weren't they?

Worth a punt imo as the chairman has basically opened the way for the players to turn in a half arsed performance and get a manager who threw them under the proverbial bus the other night unceremoniously canned.

8 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Guiseley were even worse weren't they?

Worth a punt imo as the chairman has basically opened the way for the players to turn in a half arsed performance and get a manager who threw them under the proverbial bus the other night unceremoniously canned.

True. I suppose I'd rather bet on a team based on their quality, than against somebody purely because they're pish (if that makes senses). Each to their own though.

Archived