Biggest upsets

energyzone

Agreed. But not getting the Scottish was frustrating before that final. If we continued winning the smaller cups and not the big one then we'd be known as a nearly team. Mr Knox made the difference though, you're right.

Defo the team Talbot had in 1979 was probably the best Talbot never to win the Scottish only lost 3 games that season we went out the cup to Maryhill after 4 games in round 2 or 3, won the west, league and Ayrshire that season, even went through the league undefeated as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fans of other clubs look at Talbot and see all the Scottish cups we have won and aye it is great to have been there and saw it.but it was a long time coming and a lot of disappointment before the 86 final.

in saying that it was those disappointments that made us the team we became and for that I shall be forever grateful.

it was the same when tucker became manager we couldn`t buy a win in the league and were almost relegated.

at the start of the 95-96 sept.or so we were poor and not potential cup winners.but tucker and the squad stuck in and the rest is history repeating it`s self all over again.

Defo the team Talbot had in 1979 was probably the best Talbot never to win the Scottish only lost 3 games that season we went out the cup to Maryhill after 4 games in round 2 or 3, won the west, league and Ayrshire that season, even went through the league undefeated as well.

where did the other 2 defeats come was the league cup sectionals about back then? Was there other cups back then? My junior knowledge up until we joined was basically I followed yoker for a season we took out n that's about it lol but tucker must be 1 of the best managers and most successful ever in the junior game.

Mon the papers

where did the other 2 defeats come was the league cup sectionals about back then? Was there other cups back then? My junior knowledge up until we joined was basically I followed yoker for a season we took out n that's about it lol but tucker must be 1 of the best managers and most successful ever in the junior game.

Mon the papers

Talbot lost the semi of the League cup [Jackie Scarlett cup as it was known back then] to Cumnock 2-1 at Loch Park New Cumnock, and yes the league cup was sectional you actually played home and away in the sections so instead of playing 5 games as you have now teams like Talbot would have played 10 sectional games before qualifying out the group. Talbot also lost in the now defunct Ayrshire District cup sorry can't recall which team beat them, anyone who remembers the old Ayrshire District cup will tell you it was one of the brawest cups on the go a real old fashioned ornate trophy I may be wrong but I think it now sits in the Hampden museum.

Just to add Talbot [Ayrshire teams] played in the Scottish cup, West cup, league division one or division two, Ayrshire cup, Ayrshire District cup and Jackie Scarlett League cup. The East Ayrshire cup was added in the 80s and if you won that you went into the Super cup which consisted of the winners of the North Ayrshire cup and the South Ayrshire cup as well as the holders, also during the 80s there was the national Drybrough cup which was competed for by the winners of each regional cup so if Talbot won the Ayrshire cup they would take part in the National Drybrough cup.............Talbot where the last winners of the National Drybrough cup in 1987 the cup still sits in Talbot's trophy cabinet to this day.

Just looking at the results of those second round matches:-

3-3, 2-2, 3-3, 1-2

Must have been a kick in the teeth going out after that.

Talbot lost the semi of the League cup [Jackie Scarlett cup as it was known back then] to Cumnock 2-1 at Loch Park New Cumnock, and yes the league cup was sectional you actually played home and away in the sections so instead of playing 5 games as you have now teams like Talbot would have played 10 sectional games before qualifying out the group. Talbot also lost in the now defunct Ayrshire District cup sorry can't recall which team beat them, anyone who remembers the old Ayrshire District cup will tell you it was one of the brawest cups on the go a real old fashioned ornate trophy I may be wrong but I think it now sits in the Hampden museum.

Just to add Talbot [Ayrshire teams] played in the Scottish cup, West cup, league division one or division two, Ayrshire cup, Ayrshire District cup and Jackie Scarlett League cup. The East Ayrshire cup was added in the 80s and if you won that you went into the Super cup which consisted of the winners of the North Ayrshire cup and the South Ayrshire cup as well as the holders, also during the 80s there was the national Drybrough cup which was competed for by the winners of each regional cup so if Talbot won the Ayrshire cup they would take part in the National Drybrough cup.............Talbot where the last winners of the National Drybrough cup in 1987 the cup still sits in Talbot's trophy cabinet to this day.

cheers m8

Mon the papers

Just looking at the results of those second round matches:-

3-3, 2-2, 3-3, 1-2

Must have been a kick in the teeth going out after that.

It was lost the 4th game 2-1 the game finished 1-1 and went into an extra 30 mins where Maryhill nabbed the winner.

It was even sorer when Cumnock went on to win the Scottish that season mind you Talbot took some gloss off that when they beat the Juniors 4-0 in the West final at Dam Park in front of a crowd of 4,000.

It was lost the 4th game 2-1 the game finished 1-1 and went into an extra 30 mins where Maryhill nabbed the winner.

It was even sorer when Cumnock went on to win the Scottish that season mind you Talbot took some gloss off that when they beat the Juniors 4-0 in the West final at Dam Park in front of a crowd of 4,000.

Am I right in saying that the three trophies that Talbot didn't win that year were won by Cumnock. I half-remember a photo with a combined Talbot/Cumnock squad with all the trophies available to win in front of the players

Am I right in saying that the three trophies that Talbot didn't win that year were won by Cumnock. I half-remember a photo with a combined Talbot/Cumnock squad with all the trophies available to win in front of the players

Cumnock won both the Scottish and Jackie Scarlett that year Ardrossan WR won the Ayrshire District cup.

I remember this game great feeling to hump them by such a convincing scoreline.

Our of curiosity was this the only game we played them at Dam Pk?

I remember this game great feeling to hump them by such a convincing scoreline.

Our of curiosity was this the only game we played them at Dam Pk?

No mate we played Cumnock in the final of the West at Dam Park in 1981 the game finished 1-1 Talbot won the replay 1-0 at Meadow Park where Dennis Grey scored the only goal of the game. If you can recall during the first game there was a bit of crowd trouble which saw both team banned from Dam Park for a number of years.

Was Dam Park occupied by any team in particular in those days? I know Whitletts Victoria had their own ground elsewhere up until a few years ago.

Also, do you know who Ardrossan beat on the final of the Ayrshire District? I couldn't find any record of them having won any Ayrshire-wide competition at all.

Was Dam Park occupied by any team in particular in those days? I know Whitletts Victoria had their own ground elsewhere up until a few years ago.

Also, do you know who Ardrossan beat on the final of the Ayrshire District? I couldn't find any record of them having won any Ayrshire-wide competition at all.

Sorry don't know who Ardrossan beat in that final if you have or can get a hold of Drew Cochrane's book " The story of Ayrshire Junior football " it gives you all the league and cup winners up until the late 80s, when it was published.

I have an Ayrshire consolation cup winners medal from 1919-20 season which was won by a friend of my grandfather who played for Ardrossan WR in that final.

Whitletts played there during that era they flirted between Dam Park and the race track someone with more info maybe able to give you dates.

Just had a look there Energyzone, Ardrossan WR honours up until 1988 are...................

Western League winners...... 1920, 1934,

Ayrshire 2nd division winners..... 1979, 1988

Ayrshire cup winners.....1927,1934, 1951,1952,

League cup winners..........1936,

Consolation cup winners.....1913, 1920, 1923, 1949,

Land o' Burns winners....1952,1957.

Moore Trophy winners....1931, 1932,

Ayrshire [irvine] District cup winners...1912, 1920, 1927, 1936, 1979.

Archived