Biggest upsets

energyzone

What are some of the biggest upsets that you can remember in junior football? Are there any tales of plucky underdogs defeating overwhelming favourites in cup finals, or last minute goals to decide a league title?

The biggest one I can recall in my short time following the juniors was Shotts beating Talbot in the 2012 Scottish final - perhaps fans of both could share their memories of that and any other similar shocks.

One of the Talbot fans in another thread mentioned beating Pollok on the final day and thereby handing the title to Irvine Meadow. Any other significant results?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pollok 2 v 3 Talbot

18th May 1986 at Hampden Park

Never to be forgotten. Pollok outright favourites game over after 20 min. But grit determination and true Talbot never say never attitude prevailed to send the Auchinleck fans wild and set us on a glorious history.

Ahh the rose tinted specs :-D

What are some of the biggest upsets that you can remember in junior football? Are there any tales of plucky underdogs defeating overwhelming favourites in cup finals, or last minute goals to decide a league title?

The biggest one I can recall in my short time following the juniors was Shotts beating Talbot in the 2012 Scottish final - perhaps fans of both could share their memories of that and any other similar shocks.

One of the Talbot fans in another thread mentioned beating Pollok on the final day and thereby handing the title to Irvine Meadow. Any other significant results?

Then in sept 2012

10 man wishaw defeated Talbot in the west with practically last kick of the match . In league terms they must have been about 3 divisions and 40 odd places between them

Scorers lafferty,faults and mcstay

Then in sept 2012

10 man wishaw defeated Talbot in the west with practically last kick of the match . In league terms they must have been about 3 divisions and 40 odd places between them

Scorers lafferty,faults and mcstay

Was going to mention that game. Wishaw played out their skin that day on an old style junior ground. That was definitely a giant killing day.

Iv'e no forgot cos if Bonnyrigg had beat you on penalties that day I think they would have went on to beat Shotts in the final,lol

Nobody would have beaten SBA that year, not in the Scottish anyway. It was written in the stars.

I think virtually every team (apart from Cambuslang, possibly) Shotts played on the way to the final was for a good portion of the match at least their equal: Maud caused them some bother initially, then Annbank were very unlucky in the first match at Peasy; let's not talk about Kinnoull or St Andrews, both of whom could easily have won, had the gods wanted it

Shotts froze against Largs in the first semi-final but deserved to win by a barrowload in the second leg (though they had to take it to penalties); then it was the giants from Ayrshire. Caught them cold but they were generous in defeat and would go on to make amends the following year.

Us old men will never see another season like it.

The biggest upset I have seen from Polloks point of view is going out the Scottish in the 90s to Turriff at home.

They scored an early goal, I think we had something like 30 corners and couldn't score.

The ones above involving Pollok losing to Talbot I would hardly call upsets as its games between teams at the top of their leagues at the time.

The biggest upset I have seen from Polloks point of view is going out the Scottish in the 90s to Turriff at home.

They scored an early goal, I think we had something like 30 corners and couldn't score.

The ones above involving Pollok losing to Talbot I would hardly call upsets as its games between teams at the top of their leagues at the time.

Your obviously didn't go to the game SP.

At the time Talbot were a decent team from Ayrshire but the Glasgow league was the big fish pond back then. Pollok Ballieston Arthurlie and the likes were the dominant big teams.

No one gave Talbot a hope in hell before the game and even more so at 2 nil up Pollok were coasting.

I genuinely believe that win gave that Talbot team the belief they could compete with the bigger teams.

Always good to see the giant killing but just not at our expense :-D

How about when St Anthony's were in a league cup group section of 7 teams about 12 years ago, and the other 6 teams in the group were all super league teams. Not only did the Ants win the group, they won all 6 games against their Super League opponents - Neilston, Johnstone Burgh, Renfrew, Pollok, Benburb, and a 3-0 win at Arthurlie!

Archived