Biggest upsets

energyzone

Your obviously didn't go to the game SP.

At the time Talbot were a decent team from Ayrshire but the Glasgow league was the big fish pond back then. Pollok Ballieston Arthurlie and the likes were the dominant big teams.

No one gave Talbot a hope in hell before the game and even more so at 2 nil up Pollok were coasting.

I genuinely believe that win gave that Talbot team the belief they could compete with the bigger teams.

Always good to see the giant killing but just not at our expense :-D

Your obviously didn't go to the game SP.

At the time Talbot were a decent team from Ayrshire but the Glasgow league was the big fish pond back then. Pollok Ballieston Arthurlie and the likes were the dominant big teams.

No one gave Talbot a hope in hell before the game and even more so at 2 nil up Pollok were coasting.

I genuinely believe that win gave that Talbot team the belief they could compete with the bigger teams.

Always good to see the giant killing but just not at our expense :-D

I was at the game, I was quite young, but remember bits about the game.

I suppose cos its pollok Talbot I don't regard a defeat to Talbot ever to be an upset regardless of both club position at the time as both are big clubs in junior football and each will have their turn.

But I suppose to Talbot supporters that result may mean a lot more and to you and others have greater significance on what has happened since.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game, I was quite young, but remember bits about the game.

I suppose cos its pollok Talbot I don't regard a defeat to Talbot ever to be an upset regardless of both club position at the time as both are big clubs in junior football and each will have their turn.

But I suppose to Talbot supporters that result may mean a lot more and to you and others have greater significance on what has happened since.

Absolutely correct. And, much as you have spoken about turning points on another thread, this was ours. The start of the glory years.

Although I actually think it was beating Kilbirnie at Somerset which was the moment where the club began to believe. Before then we had lost a few semi finals so it was great to break the hoodoo.

The way the village (and surrounding villages) reacted to the 1986 win pushed us on to where we are now.

Wouldn't say it was a huge upset, but still worth a mention.

Kilsyth v Largs Thistle a couple of seasons ago.

Largs in the Super Premier, Kilsyth in the Super First. 12 goal thriller over 2 games. A 3 each draw at Duncansfield, then another 3 each draw down at Largs in the replay. Classic cup tie!!

Kilsyth went on to win on penalties in the end to separate the two teams :)

1997 Bo'ness v Linlithgow.

If the Rose win they win the league. If Bo'ness win they only need a draw in their last game to win the league.

87 mins gone Bo'ness 2 Rose 0.

Step up Derek Halcrow and Alan Fowler.

Final score Bo'ness 2 Rose 3.

Scenes !

Absolutely correct. And, much as you have spoken about turning points on another thread, this was ours. The start of the glory years.

Although I actually think it was beating Kilbirnie at Somerset which was the moment where the club began to believe. Before then we had lost a few semi finals so it was great to break the hoodoo.

The way the village (and surrounding villages) reacted to the 1986 win pushed us on to where we are now.

That was a sore 1 for us

No as sore as the following year when Talbot beat us in the replay

Chisholms hand ball in the final for the goal still riles me

Talbot went on to 8 more cup victories & we haven't been the same since

Would things have been different if we had won the semi in 86 & Dougie didn't cheat in 87?

Who knows

Not really a shocking upset given the clubs are of similar stature. Sunnybank knocking Albion Rovers out of the senior Scottisg Cup merits a mention given the performance level of north region clubs in the junior version.

Not really but the OP asked for last minute goals to win league titles.

Went along to the aforementioned Wishaw v Auchinleck game as a not very neutral neutral, magic.

I seem to remember the Wishaw keeper having the game of his life, Talbot pushing and pushing at the end against the ten men only for Wishaw to break away and score with the last kick.

I remember the 86 final and it was a sore one-I didn't really think of it as a shock as we considered Talbot a big side-they had completely dominated the WoS Cup for years so it was always a hugely dangerous final for Lok.We did start at light speed but an inability to defend and dubious goalkeeping against a hungry Talbot side cost us dearly.

Both teams were very close at that time and the results could have gone either way.

I think it's a bit harsh to call Chisholm a cheat as it was accidental handball but handball none the less.

Maybe he feared a Kilbirnie backlash as he emigrated not long after.

Listen

A was 15 at the time so he cheated

2 great teams with 1 who went from strength to strength & the other who hasn't really been the same since

Back to topic always regarded our pumping Pollok 5-1 in the 2008west final as a shock although the Lok fans would have you believe we were favourites that day ha ha

The 5-1 doing by Kilbirnie was a right going over and probably not what we saw coming as that was still a very good Lok side just before Willie Irvine appeared and it all went down the toilet.The week after losing the West Lok returned to Maryhill to beat Cumnock in the Evening Times final

Cumnock had won the cup v Bo'ness in 1979 and were drawn against them in the first round the following season and beat them again.

Everyone thinking here we go again, a great run in the cup again

WRONG ..... In the second round Cumnock got a home tie against Lochee Harp and proceeded to get mashed 6-1 ( I think)

That season both Cumnock and Talbot got turned over by the Lochee teams as Talbot lost to Lochee Utd a couple of rounds later and prompted one of my great memories of the typical Nock v Bot banter/ slagging

After the Nock game v Harp , a Talbot fan who lived in Cumnock came into the social club and sat a carrier bag in front of his Nock mate which contained 6 cans of Harp lager and a Dundee cake

A few weeks later after Talbot had been beaten by Lochee Utd, the Nock fan walked into the social club and went over to his Talbot pal and plonked a carrier bag down in front of him which contained a Dundee cake and a six pack of United biscuits

Classic stuff

Ok lang beating peasy at springburn a few yrs later by the same score, when u were a premier team

That was definitely far more of a shock than the Meadow one, they were romping the ADL at the time and the bulk of the same squad won the Super First the next season.

My abiding memory of the Lang defeat was Paul McMenamin trying to kick Charlie Hobbs over the stand.

Most Peasy fans slightly older than me will say the biggest shock we were on the wrong end of was a 3-0 defeat to Kirkcaldy YM in December 1979, in what was only their second season in the Juniors. We had a decent squad at the time including Junior international Dougie Freedman.

Archived