Good auld Dennis

Haven't read the thread, but the last week has been surreal.

Seemingly the way to solve the supposed ills of our game - or even to "save" it, if you go in for the strongest hysteria - is to go back to 1970 effectively.

If only we can get working class boys kicking balls in the streets again (they won't - just taking down No Ball Games signs won't change parental insecurity, increased traffic levels, or the lure of alternative and electronic entertainments)... go back to boys clubs... make primary kids play football competitively so they get humped and cry (and their coaches pick the tallest and strongest players to win)... plus reinstate our Reserve League, playing a mirror image of the Premiership & Championship on Saturday afternoons... we'll be back to winning ways.

So say the likes of Gordon Strachan, Jim McInally, Eddie May, the Daily Record experts and so on, or at least that's how it seems. Should we laugh or cry?

Haven't read the thread, but the last week has been surreal.

Seemingly the way to solve the supposed ills of our game - or even to "save" it, if you go in for the strongest hysteria - is to go back to 1970 effectively.

If only we can get working class boys kicking balls in the streets again (they won't - just taking down No Ball Games signs won't change parental insecurity, increased traffic levels, or the lure of alternative and electronic entertainments)... go back to boys clubs... make primary kids play football competitively so they get humped and cry (and their coaches pick the tallest and strongest players to win)... plus reinstate our Reserve League, playing a mirror image of the Premiership & Championship on Saturday afternoons... we'll be back to winning ways.

So say the likes of Gordon Strachan, Jim McInally, Eddie May, the Daily Record experts and so on, or at least that's how it seems. Should we laugh or cry?

Definitely cry. The baws burst. Never mind the huge strides that other countries have made due to improved facilities,improved youth coaching etc, we can fix it all by going back to kicking a ball in the street. We continually allude to following the models of other small countries yet sadly we never do.

busted-III-copy.jpg

Tbf, I may be making some assumptions.

For all I know maybe they don't have affordable motor cars, fears of child abduction, rain or the internet in other countries.

It's also only a couple of years since SFA revamped everything and launched performance schools, U20 leagues, national development centre, etc.

Hardly time to rip it up and start again. There isn't a kid even halfway through the first intake. Have to stick with it.

Did anybody here p***k Dung's interview with the Lawman earlier? It verges on the Jim White "but why are you so good" territory with his whiny baldy p***k of a voice. p***k.

I fucking hate that c**t (chic, not Mr Law)

I thought it was quite good, not that i like chic but he is good at getting a freindly chat going and allowing his subject to speak, Law came across really well i thought.

Archived