Northampton Town in administration, or worse

BFTD

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere - hadn't heard anything about this myself.

Looks like Northampton Town might not be around much longer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34832977

HRMC have brought a winding-up order against the club over £166,000 in unpaid tax, and they owe the council £10.25m in loans for their ground. The council get an administration petition heard on the 27th, with HMRC's winding-up order being considered on the 30th. Apparently they've stopped paying the club staff.

A story we've heard dozens of times before; always sad when this happens. Should there be more restraints on club's spending to try and prevent these situations occurring?

The whole things dodgy as f**k. The chairman took the council for 10 million gave himself 2.5 as a finders fee then got his own firm to build a stand. They went bust so he got another firm to take on the job just so happened he ran that as well.

The end result Northampton have a half finished stand the council are 10 million lighter and nobody knows where the cash went.

The whole things dodgy as f**k. The chairman took the council for 10 million gave himself 2.5 as a finders fee then got his own firm to build a stand. They went bust so he got another firm to take on the job just so happened he ran that as well.

The end result Northampton have a half finished stand the council are 10 million lighter and nobody knows where the cash went.

Yes but can they keep the history? The stands aren't the club.....

Once again, this also sounds familiar. I know there was some talk about stricter checks on the people running football clubs a while back; did anything come of it?

As we know, it doesn't matter how much of a criminal you are in Scotland, just so long as you have enough cash to grease a few palms <_<

The £10M was just for a stand? I thought that must have been a legacy debt from when the whole ground was built :wacko:

Good to see they were keeping an eye on how the money was spent. No doubt the voters will bear such prudent financial planning in mind come the next council elections.

The £10M was just for a stand? I thought that must have been a legacy debt from when the whole ground was built :wacko:

Good to see they were keeping an eye on how the money was spent. No doubt the voters will bear such prudent financial planning in mind come the next council elections.

It was for improvements to the ground and all thats been done is minor work on one stand, new floodlights and a shell of a stand. The contractors also did the rugby teams new stand which got completed in no time.

It's more strange that the owner who has been there for a decent amount of time has gone so rogue.

Surely Northampton fans should be marching to Wembley and boycotting their enemies....

Northampton is next to Corby........

Largest Sevco Supporters Club in England there.........

Surely they would help organise a successful march against admin and liquidation.........

Then again.

Why is it a shame? Who actually cares?

I always think it's sad when a football club disappears, it's like as if the place no longer exists if you don't hear its name announced in the final scores, or read about them in the papers/on line.

Off topic - I remember Northampton Town being in the First Division (today's Premier League).

I always think it's sad when a football club disappears, it's like as if the place no longer exists if you don't hear its name announced in the final scores, or read about them in the papers/on line.

Off topic - I remember Northampton Town being in the First Division (today's Premier League).

Yeah I found that with Darlington when I watched the Salford documentary. Immediately looked them up to make sure I wasn't going crazy and imagining things.

Why is it a shame? Who actually cares?

Christ, it's a bleak enough day without that type of existentialism :lol:

Football's meaningless. Football clubs are pointless endeavours. Why do we have village/town/city boundaries? When the sun goes supernova, there'll be no trace of us and our communities anyway.

It's enough to make you refuse to wear pants, I tells ya.

They went from 4th to 1st division and back to 4th in 10 years

They're also regularly featured whenever George Best gets mentioned on telly cuz he scored about 6 against them in a cup tie

Archived