St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/11/2016 at 22:23, vikingTON said:

No: bear in mind that they're a fan-owned omnishambles now.

When Saint Mirren are relegated they'll do an Airdrie United and shrivel down there. And then hopefully do a Rangers.

St.Mirren will not be fan owned until 2026.

The bet is that I would change the name of the site for a day, and that I would post a picture of myself wearing a Morton top on our twitter account.

morton-bet.JPG

We will be fine. The flip side of the bet is that Port Ton has to donate £50 to Accord Hospice when we are assured of our Championship place.

Not being able to beat even the part timers of the league since opening day. Not being able to beat a team that gifted us three penalties and had a player sent off. Quite incredible to think that there's a team 8 points worse off than us. Hats off to St Mirren; it really is some achievement. 

1 hour ago, Div said:

The bet is that I would change the name of the site for a day, and that I would post a picture of myself wearing a Morton top on our twitter account.

morton-bet.JPG

We will be fine. The flip side of the bet is that Port Ton has to donate £50 to Accord Hospice when we are assured of our Championship place.

St Mirren are fucking shite. There's little to no chance you'll "be fine". 

Failing to even pick up a point against two dreadful sides in Dunfermline and Dumbarton at home is a testament to that. 

Realistically, to get to the play off spot, St Mirren need at least another 30 points.  Even that might not be enough as some years it's more, years where you have a dog eat dog league like this one.  That's well over a point a game -  probably at least 6/7 wins and no more than 4/5 defeats.  Could it happen? Maybe but highly unlikely and even getting to the play off spot, most times the play off team gets relegated!

3 hours ago, Div said:

We will be fine.

Based on what? Your hope is endearing in a naive way, while it's not entirely outwith the realms of possibility that getting one win could lead to going on a run and turning things around, but what evidence is there to suggest you can suddenly put a run of results together to end up with 30+ points?

The Morton side of 2013/14 is quite rightly still laughed at and remembered as a total joke outfit. We ended that season with 26 points, and that was with winning three of our last six games when we were as good as down already.

We were still convincing ourselves in November & December that yeah it was bad, but we were still only a few points adrift of safety, while the squad was shite it's wasn't as bad as results suggested, there was still the potential for a turnaround when the players responded to the new manager, we could still improve with new signings in January. The arguments became increasingly desperate, as yours have.

You have 4 points and 0 wins after 13 games, having lost 5 in a row since your new manager took over. You are 7 points from 9th and 8 points from 8th. To compare to the aforementioned shite rabble of a Morton team containing such luminaries as Marc Fitzpatrick and Nacho Novo, after 13 games we had 9 points and 2 wins. We were only 2 points from 9th and 5 points from 8th. We ended up 14 points adrift of 9th. Obviously you can't entirely compare like for like across different seasons, but the current signs are that you're even worse now than we were then.

St. Mirren may well improve - the fact they sacked Rae so early could work to their advantage in that they may have an upturn before it's too late even with Ross having a bad start, and he could recruit intelligently in January rather than trying to sign a whole new squad and ending up with players even worse than those you punt. Right now though, you have nothing but blind hope to go on.

Archived