Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

On 25/08/2016 at 16:16, Stu said:

Randomly bumping this back to the top. Does anyone know anything about Freshman guitars? I noticed one in the window of a charity shop in Dumfries for £60. It's an electric but nearly all the stuff about Freshman online seems to be about acoustic ones.

I think it's this model (right down to the same cracks in the white plastic bits!): https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/freshman-fep-bl-electric-guitar.-24-frets-mahogany-body-dove-inlays./1156993251

Anyone know if £60 is a crap/decent/amazing price for that? 

Not really much help and way too late, but I have a Freshman cutaway acoustic.  It's pretty decent.  Not perhaps as solid as my Yamaha F310, but I prefer playing it in some respects.

Just now, Stu said:

Cheers for the advice. Follow up question as it's Black Friday, anyone know if this is decent for the price? http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Yamaha-F370DW-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural/1MJ3

It's £50 less than anywhere else and I'm guessing from the model number it's a more advanced model than the F310. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the DW part means (some sites include that in their description, some don't and I'm wondering if that means the F370DW differs from the F370 in some way). Also, some places describe it as an "acoustic folk guitar" - is that different to an acoustic guitar some way? As long as it's not a classical...

It looks decent for the price, I've never owned a Yamaha but I know they have a good reputation for making guitars that are suited for beginners. To be honest, there's not going to be that much difference between guitars of that price range in terms of sound. 

Also, why the hate for classical guitars? I got one during the summer and I love it. I'd been wanting to learn some classical pieces and a normal acoustic guitar doesn't allow you to achieve the desired sound. I've had to learn a totally different style of playing for the classical guitar but it's enjoyable, I've only just got my head (and fingers) round playing triplets. 

That's the best thing about the guitar, there's always more to learn and improve on. 

35 minutes ago, Rugster said:

A classical guitar has nylon strings instead of steel strings, and a completely different winder set up, see below.

guitar.jpg

Ah cheers, I thought it was to do with the shape of the guitar rather than the winder bit. Shows how little I know.

Just now, 50/50 Winner said:

It looks decent for the price, I've never owned a Yamaha but I know they have a good reputation for making guitars that are suited for beginners. To be honest, there's not going to be that much difference between guitars of that price range in terms of sound. 

Also, why the hate for classical guitars? I got one during the summer and I love it. I'd been wanting to learn some classical pieces and a normal acoustic guitar doesn't allow you to achieve the desired sound. I've had to learn a totally different style of playing for the classical guitar but it's enjoyable, I've only just got my head (and fingers) round playing triplets. 

That's the best thing about the guitar, there's always more to learn and improve on. 

It's mainly because I already have one so don't want another one at the moment. Plus I don't really enjoy it, although that may be more down to it's age and condition and the stuff I'm trying to play on it.

It's mainly because I already have one so don't want another one at the moment. Plus I don't really enjoy it, although that may be more down to it's age and condition and the stuff I'm trying to play on it.

Played well, they can sound like this -

I hope you enjoy your new guitar. I would recommend Justinguitar on YouTube for good lessons.

3 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

I hope you enjoy your new guitar. I would recommend Justinguitar on YouTube for good lessons.

A big second from me on Justin Guitar. He's quite a smug annoying git, but his lessons are absolutely tremendous and all free. He basically taught me how to play.

Lick Library (steady!) is also pretty good, although a paid for site.

6 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

I'm trying to play Oasis and The Beatles on it, which is probably why I don't like the sound...

Have been using Justinguitar for the last couple of years since I got my electric. as well as andyguitar.co.uk. Would recommend them to anyone starting out.

Just now, Rugster said:

A big second from me on Justin Guitar. He's quite a smug annoying git, but his lessons are absolutely tremendous and all free. He basically taught me how to play.

Lick Library (steady!) is also pretty good, although a paid for site.

Ha ha, I know exactly what you mean. For me, it's the way he says "Hey! It's Justin here" at the start of every lesson. To be fair though, the quality of the content and his way of explaining things are spot on and outweigh his mildly annoying personality. 

Anyone here quite savvy with changing pick up's? I've got a Jackson JS22 Dinky which just has the stock Jackson pick up's in it already but fancy getting the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMG 81/85's (yes I know a bit trendy but has the sound I'm keen to have). Is it quite a straight forward job? most videos I've watched makes it seem overly niggly.

Late reply to this sorry. Pickups being changed is mostly a simple job assuming are ok at soldering, however with EMG's need to add the slot for the battery from memory which is a bit of a pain in the hoop. Probably best paying someone else to do it.

EMG's are plug n play...and absolute doddle with no soldering required.

As said above though all active pickups do need somewhere to put the battery, so you might require a bit of routing in the body of your guitar if it currently has passives with no extra space.

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, paranoid android said:

8 strings, 2 f-holes, and a JJ = :lol:

Discovered a site where you can create your own guitar.

Inevitably got used for nonsense such as this.

Someone appeared to have designed on with Shannon Matthew's maw's pus on it.

Delightfully offensive.

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2016 at 14:36, Ross. said:

Started playing in April as a result of my missus buying me a strat for my birthday. Practice using a Roland Cube, which is fairly basic and probably crap, but enough for me right now as I am still pish.

Still pish but can play a few songs. Open chords are easy enough, sense of rhythm is fucking appalling and if I even think about trying to sing and play at the same time my brain completely shuts down and I sit there like a dribbling moron.

To reference an earlier post on the thread Justin Sondercoe is a cock of the highest order with his "Hey, Justin here, how you doin'?" schtick but the boy is a fucking saint and top boy for putting so much effort into what he does.