Rangers vs Morton, 12th December

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was disapointed the way we sh*t ourselves against Rangers last time after knocking Motherwell out the cup just a few days earlier, looking forward to going back to Ibrox havent been there since 1995. Shoukd be a home win but Morton 14/1 with bet365 ... Dont mind sticking a fiver on that.

Luca will be a massive loss for us, Lamie needs to be fit for this.

Gaston*

Pepper Kilday Lamie Russell

Barr Forbes O'Ware Tidser McCluskey

Johnstone

* If fit.

Can't see Duffy changing to a 451 but they ran riot in midfield last time so we need to have more bodies in there.

2-1.

Gaston*

Johnstone

* If fit.

Can't see Duffy changing to a 451 but they ran riot in midfield last time so we need to have more bodies in there.

2-1.

I'd go along with that team and that formation, we got run over at Scappa so putting the extra man in the middle might give us a bit more hold in there.

We just got to wait and see what The Duff team bingo gives us

Was a training match for Rangers the last time, hopefully Duffy has learnt his lesson from that one and will play a 4-5-1.

Looking forward to this as never seen Morton play at Ibrox before. Will be happy to keep the score down to a minimum. 0-2 Rangers.

We just got to wait and see what The Duff team bingo gives us

Question about this. It seems you're having a 'better than expected' season back in The Championship so far - you're in the play-off places (albeait a game ahead of Raith). Aren't you happy with Duffy's team selection?

BTW someone has to update his Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Duffy_%28footballer%29

The opening sentence is:

James "Jim" Duffy (born 27 April 1959) is a Scottish former footballer and manager, currently managing Scottish League One club Greenock Morton.

At time the team selections and style of play have made the team look unbalanced and with the defence just lumping it up the park bypassing the midfield, giving the strikers very little chance and with players playing in positions not naturally suited to them we sometimes aren't taking a bit more control of the game, especially in the midfield.

The midfield need to at least turn up for the game on Saturday anyway

Question about this. It seems you're having a 'better than expected' season back in The Championship so far - you're in the play-off places (albeait a game ahead of Raith). Aren't you happy with Duffy's team selection?

BTW someone has to update his Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Duffy_%28footballer%29

The opening sentence is:

James "Jim" Duffy (born 27 April 1959) is a Scottish former footballer and manager, currently managing Scottish League One club Greenock Morton.

Some of his team selections have baffled folk from time to time- he persisted with Rikki Lamie at left back for the first half of last season with pretty disastrous effects whilst most saw him as a centre back. It was only after the emergence of Mark Russell that he was moved and the defence settled down. This season he's struggled to find the best way to pair up Tidser and Forbes in the midfield and it's often anyone's guess about where Pepper, Kilday, O'Ware and Millar will play week by week.

That said, having made heavy work of winning the title, we've certainly done better than most would've expected. There were even some tools on the Morton forum demanding refunds on their season tickets before a ball was kicked in the league! I like him, but think his reputation from his troubles at other clubs doesn't help his cause.

I expect after performing like rabbits caught in the headlights at Cappielow he'll have learned a few lessons and we'll be a bit more stuffy and difficult to break down, although Gasparotto will be a big loss. Heart says 1-1, but 2-0 Rangers would be my prediction. Hopefully make it a much more difficult afternoon than in September though.

The midfield need to at least turn up for the game on Saturday anyway

From what I remember of the 4-0 game at Cappielow you didn't have anyone in 'the middle third' against us - in fact Hibs and St J are the only teams who had and they beat us. I think you're right in seeing this as an issue.

I expect after performing like rabbits caught in the headlights at Cappielow he'll have learned a few lessons and we'll be a bit more stuffy and difficult to break down, although Gasparotto will be a big loss. Heart says 1-1, but 2-0 Rangers would be my prediction. Hopefully make it a much more difficult afternoon than in September though.

Is Gasparotto not playing because he's injured or because he's contracted to us? How would you rate him? Have you watched any/many Rangers games this season? Can you assess him compared to Kiernan and Ball?

From what I remember of the 4-0 game at Cappielow you didn't have anyone in 'the middle third' against us - in fact Hibs and St J are the only teams who had and they beat us. I think you're right in seeing this as an issue.

Is Gasparotto not playing because he's injured or because he's contracted to us? How would you rate him? Have you watched any/many Rangers games this season? Can you assess him compared to Kiernan and Ball?

Terms of his loan agreement unfortunately. The only time I've seen Rangers other than brief highlights was the game at Cappielow but looking at the goals you conceded against St. Johnstone he probably deserves a chance. Apparently he's not rated at Ibrox and out of contract in the summer though so hopefully that could be to our advantage. I expect him to move higher up the food chain though, perhaps someone like Motherwell or Thistle. He's probably the best centre back we've had since another Canadian, Paul Fenwick about 15 years ago.

Terms of his loan agreement unfortunately. The only time I've seen Rangers other than brief highlights was the game at Cappielow but looking at the goals you conceded against St. Johnstone he probably deserves a chance. Apparently he's not rated at Ibrox and out of contract in the summer though so hopefully that could be to our advantage.

I haven't seen him enough to say anything sensible but I do know a few Rangers fans rate him and I'm sorry he's ineligible for Saturday. These loans deals really should be rewritten. If you're on loan to a club then you play for that club. End.

I haven't seen him enough to say anything sensible but I do know a few Rangers fans rate him and I'm sorry he's ineligible for Saturday. These loans deals really should be rewritten. If you're on loan to a club then you play for that club. End.

SFA rules.

Gaston*

Johnstone

* If fit.

2-1.

We played that exact formation in the first half against St Mirren and it didn't work whatsoever. The problem isn't so much whether it's 4-4-2 or 4-5-1, it's about not allowing then the space we did the last time and also finding effective ways of taking the pressure off ourselves defensively. The change in our style of play would be much more important than the change of shape if we played 4-5-1, because punting the ball over Forbes and Tidser all day long won't do us any good at all - indeed, it would be better to replace one of the with Miller if we're going to do that again.

Archived