Celtic V Motherwell 19/12/15

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a small point, well done to Celtic for unveiling a statue of Billy McNeill this Saturday. A man who gets scant credit for his large impact at Aberdeen, despite only managing us for one solitary season. A lot of the success Fergie had in the North East owed a great deal to McNeill. My grandfather is convinced McNeill would have been a very successful manager had he stayed. It's a measure of the man that he has admitted with hindsight that he should have stayed, but Celtic was his dream job.

Hopefully he enjoys the unveiling, though not the game or result!

As a small point, well done to Celtic for unveiling a statue of Billy McNeill this Saturday. A man who gets scant credit for his large impact at Aberdeen, despite only managing us for one solitary season. A lot of the success Fergie had in the North East owed a great deal to McNeill. My grandfather is convinced McNeill would have been a very successful manager had he stayed. It's a measure of the man that he has admitted with hindsight that he should have stayed, but Celtic was his dream job.

Hopefully he enjoys the unveiling, though not the game or result!

It was McNeill who signed Strachan for Aberdeen wasn't it?

Just hope it's not another Killie type game where they sit in, Celtic can't break them down and they manage a couple of dangerous forays into our half over the course of 90mins. Early goals please Celtic.

I think a couple of pre-match pints wins over the statue unveiling for me.

It was McNeill who signed Strachan for Aberdeen wasn't it?

It was indeed, along with Steve Archibald. He was instrumental in setting up a lot of the youth coaching that benefitted Fergie so strongly.

Indeed, had McNeill not drawn 14 games, he'd have taken us to a first league Champonship since 1955.

It was indeed, along with Steve Archibald. He was instrumental in setting up a lot of the youth coaching that benefitted Fergie so strongly.

Indeed, had McNeill not drawn 14 games, he'd have taken us to a first league Champonship since 1955.

Well disposed as I am to King Billy, that sounds a bit "If Real Madrid never scored 7, Eintracht Frankfurt would've won 3-0.

Just had a swatch at the league table for the 77/78 season. Aberdeen finishing only two points behind champions Rangers. His league title victory with Celtic the following season looks even more impressive considering we finished fifth in the 77/78 season, a painful 19 points behind Rangers in the days of two points for a win. Though, according to Wikipedia Aberdeen drew nine games during Caesar's season, but they did draw the fourteen games the following season.

Just had a swatch at the league table for the 77/78 season. Aberdeen finishing only two points behind champions Rangers. His league title victory with Celtic the following season looks even more impressive considering we finished fifth in the 77/78 season, a painful 19 points behind Rangers in the days of two points for a win. Though, according to Wikipedia Aberdeen drew nine games during Caesar's season, but they did draw the fourteen games the following season.

My apologies, you're quite correct. He had a remarkable single season with us. Went on to have good success with Celtic league title wise. One of the few universally respected people involved in football, which speaks volumes about his character.

I cannot imagine today seeing Celtic lose as many games as they win and finishing in mid-table mediocrity.

My apologies, you're quite correct. He had a remarkable single season with us. Went on to have good success with Celtic league title wise. One of the few universally respected people involved in football, which speaks volumes about his character.

I cannot imagine today seeing Celtic lose as many games as they win and finishing in mid-table mediocrity.

He certainly did. I see Aberdeen were beaten cup finalist that season too. Would have been interesting to see what Aberdeen would have achieved had he remained for a few seasons at least, although to be fair, I doubt he could have came anywhere near topping Ferguson's achievements.

Aye, no chance of that happening now, but season's like that haven't been unusual in our history.

He certainly did. I see Aberdeen were beaten cup finalist that season too. Would have been interesting to see what Aberdeen would have achieved had he remained for a few seasons at least, although to be fair, I doubt he could have came anywhere near topping Ferguson's achievements.

Aye, no chance of that happening now, but season's like that haven't been unusual in our history.

Aberdeen lost the cup final 2-1 going on 5-1.

Archived