Ayr in freefall

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The year Rangers were in the same league as us we still made a slight loss.

Cameron is a rarity in Scottish football, he is a chairman who has paid the clubs debts to the bank and to the inland revenue, rather than "restructuring" where we end up with no credit facilities.

We went from out-spending premier league clubs for players till Barr left, to being outbid by Irvine Meadow for players because Cameron was forcing the club to live within its means as much as possible

The only time I would criticize Cameron for not being bold is the year we had a league cup semi in January and an investment from Bodog yet only signed Tam McManus and 2 under 20s from Blackpool and we ended up being relegated

If this was any other business, with the amount of money he keeps having to plug leaks with, Cameron would have closed it years ago, perhaps he hasn't looked at fresh investment, or doesn't want to give up some control or the club but the financial side of the club I'd say is pretty much spot on

Whilst every team has injuries, we were really unlucky that 5 key players got injured and 3 of these play in the same position. Gilmour, Docherty and Adams all played central midfield at some point and they are a big part of the reason we got ourselves to the top of the league. When you lose players who were influential week in week out you can't expect survive that. But, what it has done is show we seriously lack squad depth and the nature of a few of our defeats have been disappointing, with Cowdenbeath and Stranraer being pretty grim. As someone previously said, the next two or three games will tell if this is just a blip or genuine cause for concern. With a full squad we are as good as anyone, and although I think Dunfermline will go on and win the league, it would be nice to have an exciting end to the season, where we are pressuring them all the way.

Whilst every team has injuries, we were really unlucky that 5 key players got injured and 3 of these play in the same position. Gilmour, Docherty and Adams all played central midfield at some point and they are a big part of the reason we got ourselves to the top of the league. When you lose players who were influential week in week out you can't expect survive that. But, what it has done is show we seriously lack squad depth and the nature of a few of our defeats have been disappointing, with Cowdenbeath and Stranraer being pretty grim. As someone previously said, the next two or three games will tell if this is just a blip or genuine cause for concern. With a full squad we are as good as anyone, and although I think Dunfermline will go on and win the league, it would be nice to have an exciting end to the season, where we are pressuring them all the way.

I think what is more concerning than the lack of squad depth is the way that your club has dealt with these injuries.

How so ?

Ayr don't seem to take the fitness of their players particularly seriously, as evidence by the lack of action during the physio's absence, as well as how frequently the players seem to get hurt.

Dunfermline are not without their own injuries, however they are mainly injuries that no amount of training could have prevented.

Ayr's injury problems seem to have been, if not preventable, certainly much longer than they should have been.

Ayr don't seem to take the fitness of their players particularly seriously, as evidence by the lack of action during the physio's absence, as well as how frequently the players seem to get hurt.

Dunfermline are not without their own injuries, however they are mainly injuries that no amount of training could have prevented.

Ayr's injury problems seem to have been, if not preventable, certainly much longer than they should have been.

Ayr train 2 nights a week so we don't have a full time physio, if the physio we have retained is off sick for 2 weeks and in those 2 weeks we get 5 players injured, it is probably down to bad luck rather than bad planning.

It looks from what McCall says that he is going to be long term sick, so I would imagine another physio has or will be hired.

The year Rangers were in the same league as us we still made a slight loss.

Cameron is a rarity in Scottish football, he is a chairman who has paid the clubs debts to the bank and to the inland revenue, rather than "restructuring" where we end up with no credit facilities.

We went from out-spending premier league clubs for players till Barr left, to being outbid by Irvine Meadow for players because Cameron was forcing the club to live within its means as much as possible

The only time I would criticize Cameron for not being bold is the year we had a league cup semi in January and an investment from Bodog yet only signed Tam McManus and 2 under 20s from Blackpool and we ended up being relegated

If this was any other business, with the amount of money he keeps having to plug leaks with, Cameron would have closed it years ago, perhaps he hasn't looked at fresh investment, or doesn't want to give up some control or the club but the financial side of the club I'd say is pretty much spot on

I pretty much agree entirely with this post.

As for the injuries/physio criticism - I don't think we know enough about it. Who says we haven't been trying to replace the physio? Where is the evidence we have caused or made these injuries worse? Speculation everywhere - no evidence.

I don't think ayr are run as well as they could be - we have potential to really shake things up in the town and wider district.

But Cameron has made sensible decisions as he doesn't want the club to die. We're in a holding pattern. Cameron (I think) has invested funds and decided (for whatever reason) that he's not going to continue to put money in. He will only sell when there is a viable bid that is good for the club.

Limbo (but a live within our means limbo). Under this limbo we are a bottom of the championship/ top of league 1 outfit. Hopefully McCall can get us promoted.

We got ridiculously lucky that season. For the first half of the season, we were rancid. We then ended up with Jamie Walker deciding to light up the division, and a front line of Baird, Casalinuovo and Brian Graham pretty much scoring every single game.

Ayr train 2 nights a week so we don't have a full time physio, if the physio we have retained is off sick for 2 weeks and in those 2 weeks we get 5 players injured, it is probably down to bad luck rather than bad planning.

It looks from what McCall says that he is going to be long term sick, so I would imagine another physio has or will be hired.

Regardless of how often you train, surely fitness should be a priority. It's more the lack of action to find cover/replacement for the physio that should cause most concern.

Just been announced that oir physio Steve McGuire suffered a brain haemorrhage last month. Thoughts are with him and his family.

We do have a replacement lined up until McGuire returns at the start of next season.

With a physio now in place and injured players returning hopefully we can start building momentum again and try to close the gap with the pars. Long way to go yet

I pretty much agree entirely with this post.

As for the injuries/physio criticism - I don't think we know enough about it. Who says we haven't been trying to replace the physio? Where is the evidence we have caused or made these injuries worse? Speculation everywhere - no evidence.

I don't think ayr are run as well as they could be - we have potential to really shake things up in the town and wider district.

But Cameron has made sensible decisions as he doesn't want the club to die. We're in a holding pattern. Cameron (I think) has invested funds and decided (for whatever reason) that he's not going to continue to put money in. He will only sell when there is a viable bid that is good for the club.

Limbo (but a live within our means limbo). Under this limbo we are a bottom of the championship/ top of league 1 outfit. Hopefully McCall can get us promoted.

As I mentioned, the financial side of the club is spot on pretty much, but I am not sure there is an active chase for new investment

The physio, according to the official site he has had a brain hemorrhage so as unforeseeable as you could possibly get, It says there is a new match day physio

http://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/physio-update/

If there is no physio at the club then there is no professional diagnosis or treatment plan put in place, so injuries could get worse or at the very least take longer to heal, obviously the club doctor could give a diagnosis but unless he specializes in sports fitness he wouldn't be able to put together a decent rehabilitation.

All the best to the physio

Regardless of how often you train, surely fitness should be a priority. It's more the lack of action to find cover/replacement for the physio that should cause most concern.

It seems to be causing you concern, or it is maybe your obsession with all things Ayr that means you keep making statements like this

It seems to be causing you concern, or it is maybe your obsession with all things Ayr that means you keep making statements like this

I don't know if he's actively trying to stir up ayr fans or just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

Aye I agree there doesn't seem to be any attempts to sell the club. But does that mean Cameron has resigned himself to being in charge or is he still hoping someone comes in?

Or both?

It is, as I've previously said, one of the most interesting talking points in the league just now.

With no offence intended, I don't really care much either way about Ayr, as I would imagine most Ayr fans feels about Dunfermline, I think ambivalent would be the correct word. We have a short-term rivalry due to both our teams challenging for the title but that rivalry seems to be pretty much over now.

It seems that the standard response when somebody questions an aspect of your club is to just cover your ears and repeat obsessed until they go away.

I'm simply asking as, if it were my club, I would be worried that we were delaying in getting cover for a physio, with so many injuries, at such an important time.

If you want to see something resembling obsession on here you can look through the Halbeath Road thread for all the lost Cowden fans.

I don't know if he's actively trying to stir up ayr fans or just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.

Aye I agree there doesn't seem to be any attempts to sell the club. But does that mean Cameron has resigned himself to being in charge or is he still hoping someone comes in?

Or both?

I also mean fresh investment in trying to get new people to invest in the club while Cameron is still there

Archived