New Zealand

HEED

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone been to the Paeroa Highland games? Heading down in February for it.

Yeah I've been. They had a mock Edinburgh Castle, then a pipe band March with all the usual tug-o-war stuff. A bit twee, if you want to go to a better one, Waipu on the 1st Jan is much bigger and better.

Mind get yer picture taken at the L&P bottle lol!

Yeah I've been. They had a mock Edinburgh Castle, then a pipe band March with all the usual tug-o-war stuff. A bit twee, if you want to go to a better one, Waipu on the 1st Jan is much bigger and better.

Mind get yer picture taken at the L&P bottle lol!

I was in Coromandel for New Year, although it was a complete washout. I have heard about the Waipu games and hope to check them out at some point.

I've not been to Paeroa yet so I can tick off the token picture next to the L&P bottle on my list.

I was in Coromandel for New Year, although it was a complete washout. I have heard about the Waipu games and hope to check them out at some point.

I've not been to Paeroa yet so I can tick off the token picture next to the L&P bottle on my list.

Funny that, I was in Coromandel 4 years ago for New Year and it was a complete wash-out as well, Coromandel Gold was just a complete mudfest.

I'm doing it for my big 30!! I did the Pinnacles in the Coromandel a few months back. Pretty hard but rewarding hike.

Start the crossing as early as you can (we were on at 5.30 am), it gets really really busy. It is Worth doing the side track to mt tongariro, only about 90 mins return and an easy climb. Mt doom on the other hand was an absolute no go for us, almost sheer skree in places and at least a 50/60 degree gradient the whole way up.

I lived in Ponsonby and worked in Henderson. 20mins to work and home with zero traffic, it was great!

I used to live in Bayswater and worked at North Shore Hosp in Taka which was no problem. Now, I moved in with the other half and we live in Mount Roskill so driving can be a bit of a pain in the arse.

Whack, yer balls, at Takapuna golf!

Is that advert still on the radio?

Yer commute will be a bit of a nightmare, no?

Ha! Never heard of it. Yeh, it can be a bit of a nightmare and will be even worse when the schools go back in the next few weeks. I don't want to stay forever in Auckland but the Mrs is a die in the wool 'JAFA' so will take some convincing.

With about 3 miles of actual motorway, NZers have no concept of how to use lanes. I also found that they slavishly obeyed speed limits where as most here would think little of driving 10mph over the speed limit on a duel carriage way or motorway if the road was relatively quiet

The snow seems to have melted a fair bit in just 3 weeks. Strange to think that they get 5 feet plus of snow in the winter.

post-7531-0-40741600-1453847683_thumb.jp

I stayed in the Best Western, a 5 minute walk from the cruise port. A bit faded and past its prime but fine for a nights stay and handily right next to the NZ equivalent of a Tesco Metro if you need to stock up on stuff.

Also within 5 to 10 minutes walk of plenty of restaurants, cafes and bars.

I stayed in the Best Western, a 5 minute walk from the cruise port. A bit faded and past its prime but fine for a nights stay and handily right next to the NZ equivalent of a Tesco Metro if you need to stock up on stuff.

Also within 5 to 10 minutes walk of plenty of restaurants, cafes and bars.

I stayed in that one as well (The President I think it's called). Can't really ask for a better location though it's a standard chain hotel.

Archived