Dumbarton v Queens

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats 4 central midfielders. Who do you think will play wide left and right? Or do you think Fowler will change it, maybe start with a diamond formation in midfield?

I see what you mean there. Jacobs and Murdoch replaced by Harris and Oliver perhaps or else try the diamond formation with the original line-up. I wonder if Fowler gets his team line-ups from this forum. LoL

Expect abuse for this post but it's not been that cold over past couple of days and don't understand why this is doubt at this stage.

Have we done enough to get this on or do we want it off till squad is complete.

I accept that forecast of -4 tonight might make my suggestion meaningless . Seems today we had lots of plans that didn't come to anything.

Expect abuse for this post but it's not been that cold over past couple of days and don't understand why this is doubt at this stage.

I accept that forecast of -4 tonight might make my suggestion meaningless . Seems today we had lots of plans that didn't come to anything.

I'm no pitch expert, but my game tomorrow's off as well. The pitch has been damaged by the heavy rain over the past month or so, and it won't be able to dry out because it's got a frost over it. It doesn't have to be a thick frost, just one that would stop the pitch from thawing and then drying out.

I'm sure the groundsman would be better placed to explain the technical side of things though.

The last two nights have been absolutely Baltic.... Only thing I would say is maybe the covers could have went down a couple days ago but not sure if that would be possible if they needed to work on park/get volunteers to help.

It's natural to be annoyed that a games been postponed but maybe it is a good thing that it looks like we will have another week to get bodies in.

The grass outside is frozen solid and has been since yesterday evening, maybe even earlier. The pitch will be holding far more water than usual meaning the freeze will be even worse.

The plans today were for the groundsmen to work on the pitch and for everyone to help lay the covers. This wasn't possible because the pitch hasn't thawed at any point throughout the day meaning work can't be done and it's pointless laying covers. The covers had been left off of the pitch for as long as possible to allow the pitch to dry out as parts of it had become a 'bog'. All of this has been explained by the club via the OS and the groundsman on here.

There would be zero benefit in us calling this off. We will lose money from match sponsors and hospitality etc. Squad wise we are stronger than last week.

we have worked our arse off keeping that park playable since the Alloa game. We were out working on it for 4 hours on new years day getting it ready for the Rangers game because of the weather. The rain has been horrific and finally when we are about to play our third game in 14 days you ask if I've done enough ffs. Get a grip m8. That's my polite answer.

The grass outside is frozen solid and has been since yesterday evening, maybe even earlier. The pitch will be holding far more water than usual meaning the freeze will be even worse.

The plans today were for the groundsmen to work on the pitch and for everyone to help lay the covers. This wasn't possible because the pitch hasn't thawed at any point throughout the day meaning work can't be done and it's pointless laying covers. The covers had been left off of the pitch for as long as possible to allow the pitch to dry out as parts of it had become a 'bog'. All of this has been explained by the club via the OS and the groundsman on here.

There would be zero benefit in us calling this off. We will lose money from match sponsors and hospitality etc. Squad wise we are stronger than last week.

Well I won't be there tomorrow, so from that extent it would be a massive shame if it was on tomorrow as people would miss out on my top notch bantz.

Edit: Anyway if it goes ahead then I'd go for the same team but with 'Hatez the Livi' in for Waters.

we have worked our arse off keeping that park playable since the Alloa game. We were out working on it for 4 hours on new years day getting it ready for the Rangers game because of the weather. The rain has been horrific and finally when we are about to play our third game in 14 days you ask if I've done enough ffs. Get a grip m8. That's my polite answer.

apologies if offended. This is merely my opinion which may or probably be wrong. Not a personal attack .

We probably arent. We have brought Andy Murdoch in but our captain and first choice centre half was ruled out and would have been a big miss. Hopefully by the time it is rearranged he will be fit and probably long term injury victims Callum Tapping and Dale Hilson will be too.

From a personal and supporter point of view I would prefer the game was on rather than have to make a midweek trip later in the season but at least we will presumably have an early call off and the team may benefit from it.

Can you cover a pitch thats holding so much water and is so soft? I'd have thought that would make it worse? If the pitch was too soft to put covers over and now its too frozen to cover then its just garbage weather combining to hurt us. The rain we've had in the past 6 to 8 weeks has been hellish and keeping the park playable would have been a huge ask. One the ground staff have met in tough circumstances but eventually they hit a point where they can't do anything more to keep the park playable.

On the playing surface. I remember that Scottish cup game at home to Albion rovers was called off around 12 times in the late 80s/early 90s I think it held the record at the time for most postponed single match. Now that was a piss poor pitch.

Today's pitch is like a bowling green in comparison. The frost is always going to be a bit of a problem due to location of the ground e.g not enough sun due to Dumbarton Rock.

On the subject of pitches, I have a question I wanted to raise after last weeks game but didn't in case I came across as bitter.

I was wondering during the game, as I watched awful first touch after awful first touch from our players, if we were in the ridiculous position where our players aren't used to playing on a heavy grass pitch. Obviously our home pitch is 3G, what about the training facilities at Broadwood are they also 3G or do we train on grass occasionally as well?

I'm acutely aware that it could just as easily be down to our players having a terrible first touch, but I just thought I'd ask.

I'm also not using it as an excuse either, because the pitch was a hindrance to Dumbarton as well. I lost count of how many balls they played over the top in the first half that took one bounce, and either rolled into our goalkeepers arms, or out for a bye kick. It amazes and infuriates me when players don't realise this and continue to play the same unsuccessful pass. We had a few in the second half as well, and it was probably the same up the other end of the park as well.

I see what you mean there. Jacobs and Murdoch replaced by Harris and Oliver perhaps or else try the diamond formation with the original line-up. I wonder if Fowler gets his team line-ups from this forum. LoL

Probably :lol:

I hadnt really thought of a diamond before I posted that, but I think it has potential. Either Jacobs or Hutton could sit in front of the back four, Millar at the other end and Murdoch and the other of Jacobs or Hutton. You'd also have the option of playing Harris off the front two.

I was wondering during the game, as I watched awful first touch after awful first touch from our players, if we were in the ridiculous position where our players aren't used to playing on a heavy grass pitch. Obviously our home pitch is 3G, what about the training facilities at Broadwood are they also 3G or do we train on grass occasionally as well?

I dont recall us looking especially bad in the first touch last week. In fact I may be in a minority of one but I didnt think we "played" that badly. The two goals were both poorly defended and we constantly made bad choices or poor execution in the final third but I thought the play generally was ok.

However, to answer your question, no we dont train on grass. Broadwood is 3G and if it is unavailable for any reason we usually use Toryglen, Ravenscraig, Stenhousemuir or Palmerston, all of which are also 3G. We havent trained on grass since we left Glasgow Green 3 years ago. Well apart from at La Manga anyway.

Archived