Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

All these "NEW" ideas are just a complete re-invention of the 1970's .

League Cup Sections, a 3 league set up imminent and now they come up with a re- vamped Texaco Cup.

Maybe they think going back to the 70's will result in the national team magically qualifying for tournaments like they did back then .

If that set up was so good , why did they feel the need to change it ?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these "NEW" ideas are just a complete re-invention of the 1970's .

League Cup Sections, a 3 league set up imminent and now they come up with a re- vamped Texaco Cup.

Maybe they think going back to the 70's will result in the national team magically qualifying for tournaments like they did back then .

TBF The Texaco Cup had good teams when it started. They seem to be creating a shite version. I like going to new grounds to see teams in their own environment, but where would the crowd appeal be in Falkirk v. Airbus or Raith v. West Bromwich U20s, played at their training or a non league park?

A cynic might suggest that the SPFL allowing cross-border competition would then allow Rangers & Celtic to say that this sets a precedent for Scottish teams to play in other parts of the UK and they should therefore be allowed to play in the English leagues. I'm sure that's not the intention of this proposal.

A cynic might suggest that the SPFL allowing cross-border competition would then allow Rangers & Celtic to say that this sets a precedent for Scottish teams to play in other parts of the UK and they should therefore be allowed to play in the English leagues. I'm sure that's not the intention of this proposal.

Sold; get it done pronto!

Well said I agree with Big Fat Tabby Dave! The Welsh and Irish teams would be better! And my Team Clyde could end up playing the likes of Linfield or Bangor City! And that would bring more money!

No it wouldn't. Bangor get less than Clyde and Linfield don't get huge crowds.

Don't get all this talk of colt teams or u20's mixing with senior teams. If the players are good enough loan them out so they can get experience playing with older players and it will be boost for smaller clubs. Doubt McCarthy or McArthur would have got their moves if rotting in an old firm B or u20 team for years. The cup is regionalised in the early rounds as it is to help part time teams I don't see how trebling the journey times is going to be a boost. Irish clubs will just be hijacked by old firm casuals when they visit.

Highland and Lowland leagues should be brought into this a 64 team knockout cup like what the Scottish cup should be when the top teams all join. If the league cup only lets 1 out of 5 teams progress from group stage then I think the challenge cup will take more importance for most clubs.

Isn't the challenge cup there to give lower league Scottish teams a chance at winning silverware. Surely adding other foreign teams might possibly take that chance away. Changing the meaning of the cup.

A source claiming that..."It's the type of novel thinking the league have been criticised for not showing in the past and deserves our support". No, unnamed goon, it deserves short shrift.

Much is made by the SPFL of 'listening to the fans' wish for an earlier start to a season, hence a new league cup format. We all must have missed the conversations in the stands and pubs where supporters thought Scottish football would be so much better if I was given the chance to watch Bala Town FC or Aston Villa U20s.

During an interview to reflect upon the recent League Cup changes, one SPFL spokesperson declared that 'a lot of flipchart paper was used'. Perhaps a lot of toilet paper or the reserve side of fag packets were used when devising this proposal. A thoroughly depressing idea from an organisation who stand at the forefront of raising interest in our national sport.

Our League Two clubs are better than Welsh Premier League clubs, while English Premier League youth teams would destroy our Championship clubs. If they want to have some kind of cross-border competition they can come up with a workable proposal, but this isn't one. The gulf in quality would be ridiculous. Obviously you have big gaps between sides in every cup competition, but if you're going cross-border you want some evenly matched sides from each participating nation, not the best Welsh team being worse than the worst Scottish team while the best Scottish team is worse than the worst English team.

The idea's a total non-starter. If they want to do anything with the Challenge Cup they can add the Lowland & Highland Leagues in, that's all.

Apart from anything, why on earth would any English club want to send their multi-million pound U-20 side to play a Scottish lower league team? 'It's good news Jurgen. We've got East Stirling away so we don't have to travel to Elgin after all'

Archived