Albion Rovers v Ayr United Select

I can't say I expected to win this one but I certainly didn't think it would be game over in five minutes. Ayr really wanted that yesterday and Stevenson was terrific; best player in the Division on that showing.

Of course, we did have chances but the likelihood that we would take enough of them to get back into the game was never high. We've spent most of the season passing up the majority of the chances we create, which is another reason why our current lofty league position is so surprising.

Gemmell's injury is worrying as we have absolutely no strength in depth. Barrowman seems to have disappeared and young McRobbie is a grafter but never a lone striker. Surely, there must be a young Premier League squad player just itching to fill his boots in the Rovers first team... we live in hope, at any rate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gemmell's injury is worrying as we have absolutely no strength in depth. Barrowman seems to have disappeared and young McRobbie is a grafter but never a lone striker. Surely, there must be a young Premier League squad player just itching to fill his boots in the Rovers first team... we live in hope, at any rate.

I think it would be interesting to see how Ally Love or Josh Mullin play up front.

I can't say I expected to win this one but I certainly didn't think it would be game over in five minutes. Ayr really wanted that yesterday and Stevenson was terrific; best player in the Division on that showing.

Of course, we did have chances but the likelihood that we would take enough of them to get back into the game was never high. We've spent most of the season passing up the majority of the chances we create, which is another reason why our current lofty league position is so surprising.

You'd think Billy Stark would know someone who has a buckshee striker eager to impress. Wouldn't need to be from a Premier club. Where did Caldwell go, Ayr fans?

Would love to see him out on loan. Expect him not to feature much when the midfield 3 are back and Stevo is played further forward. Preston, Moore, Stevenson and Forrest would be adequate cover for our strikeforce. He's only madd 3 or 4 sub appearances this season. Him and Nisbett score a barrel load for the 20s.

Thanks, Callum. I bet he hurts us before the season's out. I wonder if we were in for him? Would that big lad McKenzie who came on yesterday benefit from some game time with us?

He would that, he was out on loan at Lugar and has come back to take Caldwell's bench place so unless we sign another striker he will be with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

From the highlights it looks like Rovers had a few excellent chances in the first half, which is a bit of a worry. Pitch looked very heavy with long grass but the players coped well. Stevo's goal was a great strike.

If we can get our full strength side out in both games against Dunfermline we can still take the title to the wire, but fear our recent slump has cost us too many points.

From the highlights it looks like Rovers had a few excellent chances in the first half, which is a bit of a worry. Pitch looked very heavy with long grass but the players coped well. Stevo's goal was a great strike.

If we can get our full strength side out in both games against Dunfermline we can still take the title to the wire, but fear our recent slump has cost us too many points.

We did have our chances but never looked like taking them. 2nd half Ayr's work rate was mighty impressive in keeping our players fairly quiet.

Archived