Crisis!

Antlion

Euro Crisis!

Migration Crisis!

Crisis in the NHS!

Crisis in Policing!

Crisis in Education!

Have you ever wondered at the absolute fascination the media has with labelling every issue they want people to worry about as a "crisis"? What I tend to notice is that these issues seldom seem to actually affect people to the extent the term "crisis" would have us believe.

My suspicion is that the narrative spun by the media seeks to engineer fear and outrage about issues they think political capital can be made from (usually party political). Want people to listen to UKIP and worry about foreigners? Repeat "migration crisis" ad nauseum. The problem is that it's all rather transparent.

Have you a favourite "crisis"? I'm partial to the one night in which the emergency telephone service to a part of rural Scotland was down in the dead of night (with calls diverted to a backup service and no problems reported) being declared "the latest crisis in Police Scotland."

Euro Crisis!

Migration Crisis!

Crisis in the NHS!

Crisis in Policing!

Crisis in Education!

Have you ever wondered at the absolute fascination the media has with labelling every issue they want people to worry about as a "crisis"? What I tend to notice is that these issues seldom seem to actually affect people to the extent the term "crisis" would have us believe.

My suspicion is that the narrative spun by the media seeks to engineer fear and outrage about issues they think political capital can be made from (usually party political). Want people to listen to UKIP and worry about foreigners? Repeat "migration crisis" ad nauseum. The problem is that it's all rather transparent.

Have you a favourite "crisis"? I'm partial to the one night in which the emergency telephone service to a part of rural Scotland was down in the dead of night (with calls diverted to a backup service and no problems reported) being declared "the latest crisis in Police Scotland."

If they just said "Euro Worry" etc, nobody would pay much attention.

Not sure how much attention people pay when something is labelled a "crisis" either, tbf.

I'm a bit blase about crises - we've had about one a day over here for as long as I can remember.

"For my money, the best hope Labour has of remaining a credible political force is for MPs to force a new leadership election by next year’s September conference. Preferably they should do so sooner, after the May local and regional elections, installing Hilary Benn (who has won much respect in recent weeks) as a caretaker and voice of unity. That would cauterise the crisis and give Labour’s moderates time and space to recruit thousands of middle-ground members and to rally around one or two charismatic candidates with a large appeal beyond the party’s left-wing base ahead of a proper leadership election in 2017. The new leader would then spend the following three years striving to erase the negative impression left by the Corbyn years, using the movement that propelled him or her to the leadership as a bulwark against the former leader’s supporters and a channel to the ordinary voters who will decide the 2020 election"

And who would they be?

"For my money, the best hope Labour has of remaining a credible political force is for MPs to force a new leadership election by next year’s September conference. Preferably they should do so sooner, after the May local and regional elections, installing Hilary Benn (who has won much respect in recent weeks) as a caretaker and voice of unity. That would cauterise the crisis and give Labour’s moderates time and space to recruit thousands of middle-ground members and to rally around one or two charismatic candidates with a large appeal beyond the party’s left-wing base ahead of a proper leadership election in 2017. The new leader would then spend the following three years striving to erase the negative impression left by the Corbyn years, using the movement that propelled him or her to the leadership as a bulwark against the former leader’s supporters and a channel to the ordinary voters who will decide the 2020 election"

And who would they be?

Dan Jarvis seems to be the chosen one of retweets from people that had no interest in him before Corbyn ;)

Forgot to add if my tea isnt on the table at the correct time thats a crisis

"For my money, the best hope Labour has of remaining a credible political force is for MPs to force a new leadership election by next year’s September conference. Preferably they should do so sooner, after the May local and regional elections, installing Hilary Benn (who has won much respect in recent weeks) as a caretaker and voice of unity. That would cauterise the crisis and give Labour’s moderates time and space to recruit thousands of middle-ground members and to rally around one or two charismatic candidates with a large appeal beyond the party’s left-wing base ahead of a proper leadership election in 2017. The new leader would then spend the following three years striving to erase the negative impression left by the Corbyn years, using the movement that propelled him or her to the leadership as a bulwark against the former leader’s supporters and a channel to the ordinary voters who will decide the 2020 election"[/size]

And who would they be?[/size]

My bit in bold is better. :lol:

Let's just ignore the vast upsurge in membership and their support for Corbyn, where was the desire for these 'middle-ground (i.e. right wing) members' while tens of thousands of Corbyn supporters were joining?

My bit in bold is better. :lol:

Let's just ignore the vast upsurge in membership and their support for Corbyn, where was the desire for these 'middle-ground (i.e. right wing) members' while tens of thousands of Corbyn supporters were joining?

:lol: Aye, I read that and thought wtf?

Archived