Blue Brazil v The Loons 30th Jan 2016

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's 2 or 3 times our game at Albion postponed, 1 at Ayr and 2 home games now in arrears, 1 abandoned at Arbroath then played in brutal conditions midweek plus a few others recently in garbage conditions.

Of course, there are no ideas floating around for years to alleviate this problem that may also make it more appealing for more spectators to go.

Well that's 2 or 3 times our game at Albion postponed, 1 at Ayr and 2 home games now in arrears, 1 abandoned at Arbroath then played in brutal conditions midweek plus a few others recently in garbage conditions.

Of course, there are no ideas floating around for years to alleviate this problem that may also make it more appealing for more spectators to go.

Nothing you can do about the Scottish weather Al. Only way you would make it more appealing to go to the football on a cold midweek night would be having a super duper indoor stadium.

Nothing you can do about the Scottish weather Al. Only way you would make it more appealing to go to the football on a cold midweek night would be having a super duper indoor stadium.

Summer football? Easy Peasy IMO

Totally disagree Andy mate.

Weather may be crap all year but it's a better level of crap in the summer. March to October for me. 8 months more compacted. But it will never happen.

Summer football? Easy Peasy IMO

You get shit weather in the summer as well!

A summer season would start in March and finish in November and at this time we would be doing our pre-season training. Lots of shit weather possible in March and November.

Totally disagree Andy mate.

Weather may be crap all year but it's a better level of crap in the summer. March to October for me. 8 months more compacted. But it will never happen.

It was said in jest but I was replying to your quote about winter midweeks.

Not all that convinced about summer football Al lots of crap weather possible in March and October/November.

I would give it a go but don't know if crowds would change that much. Lots of people away on their holidays etc would miss games.

It has to result in better games more often than not surely? Maybe even raise the standards?

Anyway it's a pointless argument as I don't think it would ever happen.

We won't know unless it happens. Has the standard of the games and crowds risen in the Republic of Ireland who have played in the summer for a good few years now?

I suppose the SPFL are having a wee dabble in summer football with the new style League Cup next season.

We won't know unless it happens. Has the standard of the games and crowds risen in the Republic of Ireland who have played in the summer for a good few years now?

I suppose the SPFL are having a wee dabble in summer football with the new style League Cup next season.

As a shareholder in Cork City FC, I can answer that one. Firstly, football is not the number one sport in Ireland, so crowds are never going to match GAA, and to a lesser extent, rugby. However, Cork, as a side who have been challenging for the title for some years now, get an average of 3,000 - 4,000 for a home game. Also, most Irish sides play on a Friday night, which might or might not affect attendances against alternative attractions. As for the standard, it is probably on a level with the bottom of the Championship, top of the First Division in Scotland.

Whether the switch to summer football has made any difference, over the piece it would seem not. The big problem is simply lack of money in the game! Weatherwise, I've seen some pretty grim conditions at all times of the year, so I really don't think it is an issue, either in Ireland or Scotland.

It's really a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Do you get 5 postponements and an abandoned game within a 2 -3 month period though?

And in general the pitches must be in better condition? Therefore more opportunity to play better football with potential for more skill level.

It's not rocket science.

Crowds may not go up, that would mean you are at your ceiling level and not much else you can do, but the ones who go will enjoy it better in the warmer months. Would they even all go when it's Baltic? I think we know the answer.

Scottish football can't change though, it will allegedly hamper Celtics champions league chances and we wouldn't have new year derbies.

How about playing more midweek games during the better months of the current season? No idea if that would work or not.

If you were having decent runs in the Petrofac and League Cups most of the midweek dates in the early months would be taken up.

Do you get 5 postponements and an abandoned game within a 2 -3 month period though?

And in general the pitches must be in better condition? Therefore more opportunity to play better football with potential for more skill level.

It's not rocket science.

Crowds may not go up, that would mean you are at your ceiling level and not much else you can do, but the ones who go will enjoy it better in the warmer months. Would they even all go when it's Baltic? I think we know the answer.

Scottish football can't change though, it will allegedly hamper Celtics champions league chances and we wouldn't have new year derbies.

It has been like what it has been this season most of the clubs history re postponements. Its only the last few seasons when we have mostly had mild winters that there has hardly been any games off.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived