Craft Beer

I like trying new beers but it has gone a bit OTT with the hipster scene. I was at a pub in London recently which sold only the craft beers brewed on site, and the 3 I tried were all rank, flat pish. The place was still full of topknots sipping away blissfully though. It can be very much a case of the emperor's new clothes with no-one wanting to be the one to suggest it's actually not very good.

I do like some from the Orkney Brewery, and some others already mentioned like Williams, Innis & Gunn etc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like trying new beers but it has gone a bit OTT with the hipster scene. I was at a pub in London recently which sold only the craft beers brewed on site, and the 3 I tried were all rank, flat pish. The place was still full of topknots sipping away blissfully though. It can be very much a case of the emperor's new clothes with no-one wanting to be the one to suggest it's actually not very good.

I do like some from the Orkney Brewery, and some others already mentioned like Williams, Innis & Gunn etc.

Which pub?

Which pub?

Wouldn't know the name - we were on a bit of a crawl up Stoke Newington way. Thankfully no shortage of decent pubs up there too.

I had a 6hr drinking session in there on Friday night. First time I've been happy at a next day ferry crossing being cancelled.

Sadly I'm only ever in Orkney for work otherwise I'd have to try this. The Gills Bay ferry would sort the men from the boys after a night on it.

Some people seem to think craft beer = 7% cascade hops ipa.

IMO the hopped up IPAs have gone too far now. Far more interesting stuff being done with the darker beers.

Eden Clock Tower is a current favorite

This. Some of the hop-bomb IPAs being made these days are completely overdone - I had a pint of some New Zealand stuff a while back that was like drinking perfume. Equally, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the golden ales that seem to proliferating at the moment, although there's the odd one I like - Fyne Ales' Jarl and Williams Golden Ratio spring to mind.

If people want to carry on drinking mass-produced lager that's fine too, I suppose you'll never be disappointed with going with what you know, but equally you'll never be surprised or unexpectedly run into something amazing.

Some people seem to think craft beer = 7% cascade hops ipa.

IMO the hopped up IPAs have gone too far now. Far more interesting stuff being done with the darker beers.

Eden Clock Tower is a current favorite

Yip...with you there on the hopped up beers. Too flamin' much. I like the concept behind Brewdog, but everything that they brew (or did a year ago) is far too hoppy for me.

Yip...with you there on the hopped up beers. Too flamin' much. I like the concept behind Brewdog, but everything that they brew (or did a year ago) is far too hoppy for me.

And fashionably expensive. I was out on a works night out last week for a work mate that was moving department. His drink of choice was brewdog Punk IPA at £6 a pint.

Mind you, we were drinking on the Royal Mile for some strange reason. A tourist trap that you would not normally entertain if you are an Edinburgh resident.

And fashionably expensive. I was out on a works night out last week for a work mate that was moving department. His drink of choice was brewdog Punk IPA at £6 a pint.

Mind you, we were drinking on the Royal Mile for some strange reason. A tourist trap that you would not normally entertain if you are an Edinburgh resident.

Doesn't cost that in the Brewdog pubs. About £4.50 IIRC. I had delivered last week a mixed case of 24 x 330ml Brewdog products - about £33. Pay your money, take your choice.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss them all as pretentious and that only hipsters drink them. Until recently, in most pubs the most exotic beer you could get was Heineken. Not that I turn my nose up against all mass produce lagers, as my session pint will always be Tennents, but it's nice to have such a massive change in selection, as regular lager on tap can often be pretty dull.

As said by others it'll probably peter out a wee bit like most trends (see Gin as a recent example) but it'll probably be the norm to have a wide variety of beers from now on.

Most of the Brewdog stuff is shite aside from the 5AM Saint, Williams and Orkney do some cracking stuff (if you're venturing into darker stuff then give the Dark Island a go, fantastic).

Doesn't cost that in the Brewdog pubs. About £4.50 IIRC. I had delivered last week a mixed case of 24 x 330ml Brewdog products - about £33. Pay your money, take your choice.

I can't remember the pub we were in but that was the price. I am sure there is a brew dog pub down the Cowgate but again the Cowgate is usually for the tourists and the odd student.

For me brewdog beers are not that great, quirky for the high alcohol content and price. A novelty brewery if you like.

Most of the Brewdog stuff is shite aside from the 5AM Saint, Williams and Orkney do some cracking stuff (if you're venturing into darker stuff then give the Dark Island a go, fantastic).

Dark Island is a cracking beer and slightly off topic, I made a cracking shin of beef stew today with a bottle dark island added to it. It was tremendous.

Good to see a few fellow Stone Cold Steve Austin podcast listeners on the Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Curious to see what his Broken Skull IPA is like, considering getting some delivered to my hotel in Vegas in May. I quite enjoy Innis and Gunn & Brewdog Punk IPA

I can't remember the pub we were in but that was the price. I am sure there is a brew dog pub down the Cowgate but again the Cowgate is usually for the tourists and the odd student.

For me brewdog beers are not that great, quirky for the high alcohol content and price. A novelty brewery if you like.

Interesting debate but no-one can ignore the commercial success of the Brewdog pair.

Interesting debate but no-one can ignore the commercial success of the Brewdog pair.

I don't doubt the success of the brewery and good on them. It is not really my cup of tea though.

I'm really not keen on tbe Brewdog stuff. For me it's too much like the "flowery beer" mentioned earlier in the thread.

I had a can of 13 Guns last night and thought it was decent.

Much of the California IPA's tend to go for the 7% range and reckon thats what people want. Not especially for me.

I'm quite happy with something in the 5.5-6% range.

Archived