Craft Beer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people seem to think craft beer = 7% cascade hops ipa.

IMO the hopped up IPAs have gone too far now. Far more interesting stuff being done with the darker beers.

Eden Clock Tower is a current favorite

I know the family that own Eden, Shipwreck is my favourite of theirs.

Stop complaining, it's the finding out what's good that's the part I enjoy. I go back to a few regulars now and again, but usually if there's something new to me, I'll give it a try.

I do the same, never take a taster in a pub if offered, I'll buy a pint instead and if I don't like it I won't buy another.

Stop complaining, it's the finding out what's good that's the part I enjoy. I go back to a few regulars now and again, but usually if there's something new to me, I'll give it a try.

Definitely.

I despise overly hoppy floral beer even more than bog standard lagers, but there's plenty of variety with craft beers to find something you like.

I find them quite hit and miss, I tend to find that a lot of them are very hoppy, which is fine, but I get the impression it's often done to make up for the lack of depth.

I did get a collection of 'Barney's Beers' from my Brother in Law for Christmas. They are apparently a small brewery based in Edinburgh and I was impressed with all four beers in the selection.

As for Brewdog they are huge down here. Two Brewdog bars in Leeds alone and both always look packed. I'm not a huge fan of their own beer, but their cola is surprisingly nice and they have a lot of very good guest beers.

What's the thoughts on the Inns and Gunn Rum Finish and indeed the Irish Whiskey Finish.

Their Toasted Oak IPA is lovely.

I'm not a big fan of Innis and Gunn, however tried the Rum finish recently and was pleasantly surprised. Little bit sweet for my tastes for a good beer.

This.

You get the feeling that some folk are happy with a choice of Tennents, Stella, Best, Guinness & Strongbow everywhere they go, maybe with a McEwans Export over the Best for their variety.

Quite like loading up on the English beers when I'm down south seeing as they have their own equivalents of Williams Bros, Orkney, Inveralmond etc. Some are rubbish, but it's all part of the fun.

Bought myself some Anchor Steam Beer. Very nice.

In regards to easily accessible craft beers, you can find Harviestoun Schihallion and William Bros Ceaser Augustas in most supermarkets. Those two rise above all supermarket avaliable crafts and it's not particularly close. I'd recommend looking in Aldi who are the best supermarket regarding offering craft beers, plus they sell them cheaper than most places.

Dark Island is a cracking beer and slightly off topic, I made a cracking shin of beef stew today with a bottle dark island added to it. It was tremendous.

If you like Dark Island I suggest you try Drygate's Conan the Mild should you ever encounter it. Absolutely fantastic and probably my favourite beer. Titanic also do a wonderful Plum Porter. It's understandably not to everyone's taste, but I've yet to meet a fan of darker beers who doesn't rave about it.

In regards to easily accessible craft beers, you can find Harviestoun Schihallion and William Bros Ceaser Augustas in most supermarkets. Those two rise above all supermarket avaliable crafts and it's not particularly close. I'd recommend looking in Aldi who are the best supermarket regarding offering craft beers, plus they sell them cheaper than most places.

These are my tipples of choice, although I generally prefer Williams Bros 7 Giraffes to Caesar Augustus.

Used to think that craft beers etc were pretentious. After reading the 'Ale guide' thread I tried a few of the recommended brews.

Some great shouts in that thread.

Archived