Craft Beer

I've drank craft beersvfor a few years now I'm still looking to try a few new tastes.

I still don't think you can go wrong with Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA.

A few other favourites are Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, Ballast Point and all of the Drygate's.

Any suggestions out there? What's your taste?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like a craft beer and I also like a mass produced beer too. They both have their time and place. One of the best bars I visited last yeari had over 300 beers on tap, both craft and mass produced, living happily side by side. Furthermore, they we were being supped by young and old, man and women alike.

Not all craft beers have a floral flavour and to be honest I am not really a fan of those beers either. However, you get great craft pilsners, IPAs and porters that don't fall into the cliches mentioned above.

I like a craft beer and I also like a mass produced beer too. They both have their time and place. One of the best bars I visited last yeari had over 300 beers on tap, both craft and mass produced, living happily side by side. Furthermore, they we were being supped by young and old, man and women alike.

Not all craft beers have a floral flavour and to be honest I am not really a fan of those beers either. However, you get great craft pilsners, IPAs and porters that don't fall into the cliches mentioned above.

I'm not particularly a fan of "flowery" tasting beers. I prefer a double IPA. The maltier the better IMO.

The Goose Island brewery from Chicago has a decent selection. I first tried their beers when in the US a few years ago and I have noticed them now featuring in a few Leith and Edinburgh boozers lately too.

The good lady is not really a big beer drinker but she loves Goose Island "Matilda". It is a Belgian style pale ale. We have only ever found it in America though.

The Goose Island brewery from Chicago has a decent selection. I first tried their beers when in the US a few years ago and I have noticed them now featuring in a few Leith and Edinburgh boozers lately too.

The good lady is not really a big beer drinker but she loves Goose Island "Matilda". It is a Belgian style pale ale. We have only ever found it in America though.

I went to a Chicago Cubs game in the summer and that was the beer of choice for the venders. I wasn't keen on it.

Yeah, we were in Chicago when we tried it. I wasn't a fan of it but the girlfriend liked it. I can't remember the name of the others but there were a few good IPAs on offer from Goose Island.

She likes Belgian style beers in particular fruit beers, Duuval and Leffe. Mind you, two or three bottles of the later bad boys and she is finished!

Some people seem to think craft beer = 7% cascade hops ipa.

IMO the hopped up IPAs have gone too far now. Far more interesting stuff being done with the darker beers.

Eden Clock Tower is a current favorite

Agree 100%.

There is far too much shite beer being produced by pretentious arseholes for the pretentious arsehole market with too little skill being masked by chucking in unnecessary amounts of hops. The "scene" is starting to fall on it's arse a bit anyway when Inbev buy Camden Town brewery being the first of many no doubt.

Some people seem to think craft beer = 7% cascade hops ipa.

IMO the hopped up IPAs have gone too far now. Far more interesting stuff being done with the darker beers.

Eden Clock Tower is a current favorite

Totally agree. That said, it's a good thing we got to this point. All these over-hopped IPAs came from the explosion in craft beer in the US, and the fad has spread. It may not be the best thing, but it has hammered the big brewers over there, and is giving small operators a similar foothold here. That has to be a good thing overall.

Shuggie: get yourself along to one of the beer festivals for a tasting. You're a Buddie and Paisley hosts a big one. In Ayrshire there's a festival - October in Troon. Make your own mind up but I suggest you try some Williams Brothers beers, cheap and plentiful from Aldi and Morrisons.

I've drank craft beersvfor a few years now I'm still looking to try a few new tastes.

I still don't think you can go wrong with Innis & Gunn Toasted Oak IPA.

A few other favourites are Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, Ballast Point and all of the Drygate's.

Any suggestions out there? What's your taste?

Shuggie, go along to Hippo Beers, 128 Queen Margaret Drive, Glasgow, G20 8NY (Sunday & Monday 12 until 10 pm; rest of the week 11am until 10 pm). They sell lots of brews from the UK & abroad you cannot get anywhere else & the quality is brilliant - none of this "notes of elderberry flower with a strong citrus finish" nonsense, simply if it tastes good it gets on their shelves.

As Bold Rover says, Beer fests are a good way to try out plenty of new ones, but go early as the good stuff tends to go quick. The variety on offer is often bewildering, but one good rule to follow is the more pretentious or jokey the name, the shittier the product.

If tempted in the summer months to try any of the ciders or scrumpies available, beware - most of the stuff from Devon/Cornwall is weapon's grade & is very different to the stuff in the shops, especially what it will do to your insides afterwards.

Archived