Well vs Killie Fir Park 13/2/16

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The score will depend on who is managing us

Jig = dreadful 0 v 0 draw

Lee Clark = highly entertaining 4 v 0 with him kicking shit out of the Firpark dugout walls and breaking 4 metatarsals

Billy Davies = slightly less entertaining 2 v 2 draw and him and McGhee having a scary stare off pitch side

Must win for both sides. This has a nothing each draw written all over it. Hopefully not, 2-1 Kilmarnock with Big Josh and Kiltie scoring and McDonald to score in the last couple of minutes for Motherwell.

Because it's a must-win for both teams this means we'll inevitably Hibs it. 3-1 Well.

We don't do too well in 'must win games' either so who knows how this will go. Two awful sides that's for sure but it certainly won't be a scoreless draw as we are incapable of a clean sheet.

From our point of view if we fail to win this then I'd say that we don't deserve to avoid the playoffs and with a trip to Tannadice coming up on Tuesday night - which I'm damn sure we will lose - then things are going go start getting seriously uncomfortable.

We don't do too well in 'must win games' either so who knows how this will go. Two awful sides that's for sure but it certainly won't be a scoreless draw as we are incapable of a clean sheet.

From our point of view if we fail to win this then I'd say that we don't deserve to avoid the playoffs and with a trip to Tannadice coming up on Tuesday night - which I'm damn sure we will lose - then things are going go start getting seriously uncomfortable.

:lol: :lol:

How can you go from good, sensible, reasoned debate on other threads, to this shite on match threads? It's beyond tedious now.

"If we lose this then I'd say that we don't deserve to avoid the playoffs". We'd go 11th, a point behind Kilmarnock We'd have 8 more games to play before the split, to Kilmarnock's 7. Fucking behave yourself.

Because we will have gone six games and a month and a half without winning a league match and if we can't beat a dreadful Kilmarnock - one of our main relegation rivals - at home, when we desperately need the points then that is cast iron relegation form.

If Kilmarnock walk away from Fir Park with the three points then it will be a massive boost for them, whilst our momentum will be firmly spiralling in the opposite direction, and while there would still be a long way to go, you cannot underestimate that psychological effect this could have on both clubs.

After Killie, we then head to Tannadice on Tuesday night, a place that is not a happy hunting ground for us, where we face another relegation rival who have recently discovered some form and they will beat us, especially if we have lost to Kilmarnock in my opinion as they will have the opportunity to cut the gap between themselves and us even more.

So, Saturday is a must win, or the playoffs loom larger.

I see you've gone from "we'll not keep a clean sheet" against Kilmarnock and as for Tuesday, a game "which I'm damn sure we'll lose" to "if" Kilmarnock beat us. So that's progress I suppose.

Yes, of course if we were to lose on Saturday (I don't think we will), then we'll be in a bit of bother, but nothing that's not retrievable.

On the flip side, if we beat Kilmarnock, and then go to Tannadice and pick up 3 points, we'll be on the verge of the top 6 and be looking upwards. With the squad of players we've got, that's perfectly achievable.

Aye, we've had a bad run, but taking the Hearts debacle out of the equation, we've had our fair share of bad luck (some of it self inflicted, I grant you). Should have won the Accies game (96th minute goal cost us 2 points), should have won at Dens (very suspect 88th minute penalty cost us 2 points) and should have had the experience to see out a 0-0 at Firhill (where a deflected 90th minute goal cost us 1 point).

Come and have a seat on my bench, MJC. It's a lovely sunny day and I'll give you a can of lager or two. See if we can get you to turn that frown upside down.

We were unlucky with the award of Dundee's penalty, that's it. You can't blame luck when you concede last minute goals four times in a month, it's not that we are unlucky, unless you say that we are unlucky that we're rubbish, especially at the back.

In both the Accies and Dundee games we got what we deserved in the end for trying to hold out on a single goal lead whilst defending on our own penalty box and allowing ourselves to be pushed back instead of pressing the opposition higher up the park and trying to kill the game off. If you do this then you are asking for trouble, especially with a defence as weak as ours is.

Not going to argue with the point we've been shite at the back, but that's been the case as far as back as the Gannon era (think only Craig Brown in between times made us difficult to beat). I can reel off a fair few times we've pissed away 2 goal leads, particularly during the McCall era.

You can of course point to each goal, and put specific blame on individual players, but to have it happen on so many occasions within 4 weeks?

If Crawford's shot hit Lasley in the baws, rather than the arm. If referee didn't give a shit penalty at Dens. If Lawless' shot was deflected and went by the post. If the Inverness boy didn't hit the shot of his career. If yer Granny had baws etc etc... I suppose it's how you look at it and say that's horrendous luck, or just continued shoddy play.

The issue we have now is that McGhee, to an extent, has tried to make it us more solid. With both Gomis & Lasley in the midfield, along with Cadden & Pearson, it only leaves us with a winger and a striker to create and score. As we saw on Saturday, it gives us very little threat as an attack. While we can try and stop others from scoring, we're not going to win games if we can't score ourselves.

We have to go into the final 10 minutes at least 2 goals in front.

You've not seen us play recently have you? Either score early and we'll collapse or you defend a 1 goal lead in which case we don't have much guile to break you down. We can only score when we are confident and opposing teams are open - you don't need 2 goals, trust me.

Hopefully Jig will play a similar team to that at Ibrox and we basically just try to hit you on the counter and sneak one.

You've not seen us play recently have you? Either score early and we'll collapse or you defend a 1 goal lead in which case we don't have much guile to break you down. We can only score when we are confident and opposing teams are open - you don't need 2 goals, trust me.

You have not seen us play recently. Defending a 1 goal lead a 0-0 draw or a 1-1 draw and we have not been able to do it. We have not had a great deal of luck, but most Well fans also accept that the defending leading up to the late goals v Accies, Partick T and ICT has been lamentable.....

You have not seen us play recently. Defending a 1 goal lead a 0-0 draw or a 1-1 draw and we have not been able to do it. We have not had a great deal of luck, but most Well fans also accept that the defending leading up to the late goals v Accies, Partick T and ICT has been lamentable.....

Is it possible for both teams to lose?

Mark McGhee in the press again today being arrogant as usual. As has been the case with his managerial career when it starts to go wrong his attitude will lose him any goodwill he had or has and will invariably end in bitter fashion.

Decent coach with some good ideas on the game but a shite manager. IMO

Some of the stuff he says I agree with actually - he shouldn't manage based on shouts from the terracings, because most supporters (and I include myself there) are utterly fucking clueless. Also - no player should be "un-droppable" and no-one player should ever think he is, as it leads to the kind of performances that we saw under the latter days of Stuart McCall.

However - he's gamely sticking to the line that John Hughes is such a tactical genius that we'd have been 3-0 down at halftime if we'd played with 2 strikers. If that's true, it's a travesty that Yogi hasn't been plucked for a job in one of the big leagues but it's also something of a mystery that ICT are in the bottom 6 and only 3 points ahead of us.

On tomorrow's game, I'm CERTAIN that we'll win for the simple reason that I won't be there...

Archived