Favourite ever Euro matches not involving Scotland

Bambino7

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we including qualifying matches too? For some reason, I seem to end up either unable to see the actual finals of European Championships (stuck in a camp in the woods for Euro 92, FFS), or the games I do watch are completely forgettable.

If not, probably this, as I saw it in a shopping centre with a load of England fans all desperate to have an honorary team to support past the group stage :P

It's a real stretch not to include any Scotland games after they've embroidered themselves in euros history in the 6 games they've played and token victory on each occasion.

Anyway England - Portugal in euro 2000 and Russia beating holland in 08 both spring to mind.

England v Portugal at Euro 2004. Didn't even watch the game.

Was working for Wetherspoons at the time, no TV's at the time. Place was dead all night, but bang on the 90th minute it fills with people from other pubs who now want a cheap bevvy. 2 minutes later someone realises that Campbell's late goal was disallowed. Pub empties again with the exception of those lucky/unlucky enough to have been served already.

Other than that, the Netherlands v Czech Republic game from the same tournament. Which I did watch.

Some decent games put in this thread already I loved Euro 2004 and the England-Portugal and England-France games but something tells me I might be being biased here. I also loved the Turkey-Czech Republic game in 2008.

Turkey vs Czech Rep. in Euro 08

I remember seeing a girl at the time of this game who hated football, but during the Euro's put up with me occasionally putting matches on. Even she was enthralled by this one.

Spain 4-0 Italy, Euro 2012 final. The greatest international side ever absolutely dominating a major final. Awesome to witness.

edit- The BBC's montage after the final with Imogen Heap covering "Thriller" still gives me chills.

Was going to post the same. That Spain team was incredible and to see them win their third major trophy in a row so convincingly against a decent side was a joy to watch. Even Pirlo couldn't put his stamp on the game. All whilst playing the 4-6-0 formation as well!

Archived