General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

50 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/thousands-of-twitter-users-deceived-by-russian-agent-david-jones-bv0c2ssj5

Thousands of Twitter users ‘deceived by Russian agent’

Hundreds of thousands of Twitter users are reading pro-Kremlin propaganda by a suspected Russian troll posing as a Ukip supporter, evidence suggests.

Probably less extreme than genuine UKIP supporters.

On 26/08/2017 at 00:01, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I dislike George Osborne as much as the next right thinking person, but the incredibly vindictive war he's waging against Theresa May through the Standard is very entertaining.

He's at it again:

"Like the Living Dead in a second-rate horror film, the premiership of Theresa May staggers on oblivious. This was not supposed to be in the script.

It was universally acknowledged by Tory MPs after her disastrous, wooden performance in the election campaign that she could never lead them in to an election again. To stave off an immediate execution in June, she adopted two tactics.

First, like King Charles I before her, she offered up the heads of her deeply unpopular advisers instead. “It wasn’t my fault that I’ve alienated my entire Cabinet and produced a vote-destroying manifesto, it was theirs,” she pleaded."

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-britain-deserves-better-than-this-horror-show-a3623806.html

Wasnt sure where to post this but is there any other country in the world that has their neighbouring countries game on but not their own?

We can only watch our team when they play against England.

It's disgraceful we put up with this really.

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Wasnt sure where to post this but is there any other country in the world that has their neighbouring countries game on but not their own?

Depends, is there another country who think so little of themselves and so much of their neighbour.

STV (point of the S?) say rights are bidded on on a UK wide basis, which means England first, just like it does with everything else.

Thing is we're so used to shite like this we don't even see it. Honestly I'm no even bothered really I have Sky in my flat anyway but it is just pish.

Imagine the TV companies in Belgium paying/bidding for France games on their televisions and no Belgium ones.

It's no surprise that the right-wing press lie and whip up hysteria but this made up shite about the Muslim foster family really is grim.

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/how-the-press-lied-about-the-little-girl-staying-with-muslim-foster-parents-here-are-the-facts/

A horrible insight into the prejudices of their readers.

STV (point of the S?) say rights are bidded on on a UK wide basis, which means England first, just like it does with everything else.

Thing is we're so used to shite like this we don't even see it. Honestly I'm no even bothered really I have Sky in my flat anyway but it is just pish.

Imagine the TV companies in Belgium paying/bidding for France games on their televisions and no Belgium ones.

The misapprehension here is that STV are choosing to show the England game over the Scotland game. The truth of it is they're choosing to show it instead of 20 year old repeats of Taggart or Weir's Way or something like that. Sky have the rights to all Scotland games. STV couldn't come close to matching the money involved. However, as ITV as a much larger broadcaster could afford the England rights and as a consequence as part of that greater Channel 3 network STV have access to that, they're showing it instead of pishy old repeats for the very good reason that it has far more viewer appeal.

18 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The misapprehension here is that STV are choosing to show the England game over the Scotland game. The truth of it is they're choosing to show it instead of 20 year old repeats of Taggart or Weir's Way or something like that. Sky have the rights to all Scotland games. STV couldn't come close to matching the money involved. However, as ITV as a much larger broadcaster could afford the England rights and as a consequence as part of that greater Channel 3 network STV have access to that, they're showing it instead of pishy old repeats for the very good reason that it has far more viewer appeal.

I would rather watch 20 year old repeats of Taggart etc.

In all seriousness though, the current situation is a disgrace. Young Scottish kids growing up, never seeing their own national team on the tele.

No wonder our game is in decline.

International football should be part of the sporting "crown jewels" and should never be allowed to be sold off to the likes of sky.

Good of itv to bid on only the England games btw.

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

Young Scottish kids growing up, never seeing their own national team on the tele

Does no-one in Scotland have access to Sky/kodi/dodgy streams on PC?

Anyone who really wants to can see Scotland games. Pub for folk who are old enough and round to a mates house if they're young.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:39, GTG_03 said:

Wasn't sure where to post this but is there any other country in the world that has their neighbouring countries game on but not their own?

In Euro 88, England lost to the Republic of Ireland.  Then England lost to the Netherlands while the Republic of Ireland drew with the Soviet Union.  In those days when there was not dozens of channels to choose from, it was then the game between the Republic of Ireland and the Netherlands that was shown, instead of England being beaten by the Soviet Union. 

Does no-one in Scotland have access to Sky/kodi/dodgy streams on PC?
Anyone who really wants to can see Scotland games. Pub for folk who are old enough and round to a mates house if they're young.

That's not the point. Nobody should have to chase the game, it should be available to all. Every other country I have visited all over the world, if the national team is playing, it is on the main terrestrial free to air channel. I haven't seen a Scotland game for however long the sky contract has been going, and to not even have highlights on Friday, but show the england game twice, was an outrage, because if they really wanted, a deal with sky or the Lithuanian broadcasters could surely have been brokered for a few pounds to show highlights.

With the advent of 'Activate', the Tory attempted answer to Momentum, someone unearthed this Tory youth video from the 80s with the leader of Activate. I'm still half convinced it's a parody but apparently it's genuine.

Supposedly a spoof, unfortunately.

If you look in the comments under the video, someone says the postcode only came into being in 2010.

Hrm. Can't get the link to appear on the app.

*https://twitter.com/NewsThingRT/status/903646714288099329*

5 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

"No surrender to oral hygiene" Glen Minter & Co.

I have never seen anyone associated with the likes of Britain First who looks normal; seriously.  At best they look socially isolated at worse they look completely mental.