General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

“A former chief medical officer believes that the SNP has made significant improvements in the health of Scottish people after almost a decade of ineffective Labour policies.

Sir Harry Burns, who was appointed by Jack McConnell’s Labour Scottish executive in 2005, said that there had been a notable shift in direction in the Scottish parliament under the SNP.

Tony Blair said in an interview with Holyrood magazine to mark 20 years of devolution that the SNP had not made “massive improvements” in healthcare. He added that devolution had not made much of a difference in Scottish policy and that independence would be no more transformative.

“If you believe that there are things that you can’t do, that if only you were able to do, it would transform Scotland, that makes the case for independence strong, but I struggle to see what these are,” the former prime minister said.

“The experience of devolution so far with different parties in power, first with a Labour-Lib Dem government, then with an SNP-led government, the truth is . . . it gives you that ability to make policy but doesn’t tell you what is the right policy.

20 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

“A former chief medical officer believes that the SNP has made significant improvements in the health of Scottish people after almost a decade of ineffective Labour policies.

Sir Harry Burns, who was appointed by Jack McConnell’s Labour Scottish executive in 2005, said that there had been a notable shift in direction in the Scottish parliament under the SNP.

Tony Blair said in an interview with Holyrood magazine to mark 20 years of devolution that the SNP had not made “massive improvements” in healthcare. He added that devolution had not made much of a difference in Scottish policy and that independence would be no more transformative.

“If you believe that there are things that you can’t do, that if only you were able to do, it would transform Scotland, that makes the case for independence strong, but I struggle to see what these are,” the former prime minister said.

“The experience of devolution so far with different parties in power, first with a Labour-Lib Dem government, then with an SNP-led government, the truth is . . . it gives you that ability to make policy but doesn’t tell you what is the right policy.

Yes, he should know all about that, war mongering, self serving tosser !!!

Well that says a lot more about Tony Blair than anything else I've read

On 2/26/2019 at 18:31, MixuFixit said:

Say what you like about Shipman but he gets things done.

My present partner (I call her that just to keep her on her toes) worked for a while at the same medical centre where Shipman was based in the mid-nighties. Apparently he was well known for having a very comforting and reassuring bedside manner. Many of his patients would insist on seeing him even if it meant them having to wait longer for treatment.

It takes all kinds, I suppose...

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My present partner (I call her that just to keep her on her toes) worked for a while at the same medical centre where Shipman was based in the mid-nighties. Apparently he was well known for having a very comforting and reassuring bedside manner. Many of his patients would insist on seeing him even if it meant them having to wait longer for treatment.

It takes all kinds, I suppose...

"You can rest easy.  I'll take all your pains away.  I guarantee it." 

Yeah, that would work every time.

Bigoted, homophobic Muslim parents in Birmingham pulling their kids from school due to sexual diversity teaching.

I hope they get fined for some breach of some Education Act.  c***s.

Bigoted, homophobic Muslim parents in Birmingham pulling their kids from school due to sexual diversity teaching.
I hope they get fined for some breach of some Education Act.  c***s.
They shouldn't be allowed to another school then. Let the parents teach them any old shite.

Apparently the significant increase in knife crime and fatal stabbing has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with cuts in police funding.

NOTHING, get it NOTHING AT ALL.

Since reducing police numbers has no impact on crime maybe it would be a good idea to cut them further and save more money.  It’s  a shocking state of affairs when this obviously good idea has to come from someone posting on a football forum.

21 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Apparently the significant increase in knife crime and fatal stabbing has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with cuts in police funding.

NOTHING, get it NOTHING AT ALL.

Since reducing police numbers has no impact on crime maybe it would be a good idea to cut them further and save more money.  It’s  a shocking state of affairs when this obviously good idea has to come from someone posting on a football forum.

It's all strong and stable...........

I see the independents who were "not going to form a party" are currently meeting with the electoral commission to see about "forming a party".

Now, there's a shock.........

Switched on the BBC Parliament channel and the DUP’s Sammy Wilson was speaking about the NI Assembly.  This is obviously an issue he is very familiar with yet can barely string two coherent sentences together.  Talk about a dearth of talent!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I see the independents who were "not going to form a party" are currently meeting with the electoral commission to see about "forming a party".

Now, there's a shock.........

So someone who has voted for a Labour MP not only sees their MP leave the Labour Party but sees them becoming part of a new party that includes people who were voted in as Tory MPs.

Seems a bit undemocratic.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Switched on the BBC Parliament channel and the DUP’s Sammy Wilson was speaking about the NI Assembly.  This is obviously an issue he is very familiar with yet can barely string two coherent sentences together.  Talk about a dearth of talent!

Not a nice man.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sammy_Wilson