General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not looking for a pat on the back, just thinking that we can't ignore the most disadvantaged because certain decisions didn't go our way.  I think we're right to do what we've done on the bedroom tax just as I think we're right to do what we're doing on tuition fees and free prescriptions.

I agree with all of those as well.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Granny's right here. The Scottish Government does have some power to mitigate some of the worst effects of austerity but has chosen not to.

I think the Scottish government are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

A Westminster government could not possibly see the Scottish Government mitigating austerity in any way that would cause an embarrassing comparison.  They would cut the grant, and would be egged on by the voters of England, who already have been led to believe that we get too much.

The Scottish taxpayer would end up paying more for the same return as those in RUK.  Of course, the relentless right wing and corporate owned media would justify this and most would accept that.

It's but one aspect of the constitutional clusterfuck we live in.

Edited by Shades75

From a purely pro independence standpoint and not weighing in on the current situation, raising income tax at this point would send out all the wrong kinds of messages to those groups who need to be attracted to the independence cause. 

To put it bluntly the yes campaign at the last referendum had a glut of lefty leaning groups. 

I heard it said in 2014 from what could be termed middle class people (if not very bright middle class people) that they feared a "jakey takeover"

Its those on the centre and the right that need attracting. 

Not saying thats right or wrong, but it is fact.

From a purely pro independence standpoint and not weighing in on the current situation, raising income tax at this point would send out all the wrong kinds of messages to those groups who need to be attracted to the independence cause. 
To put it bluntly the yes campaign at the last referendum had a glut of lefty leaning groups. 
I heard it said in 2014 from what could be termed middle class people (if not very bright middle class people) that they feared a "jakey takeover"
Its those on the centre and the right that need attracting. 
Not saying thats right or wrong, but it is fact.

On a more general basis having a government that's broadly in line with the middle of the public as opposed to the extremes is probably a good thing in itself.

7 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the main driving force in the SNP proposing such a terrible budget.  It may be justifiable if we are going to get Independence in next couple of years but what if we don't?  Will we do nothing to mitigate the worst effects of Tory policy for as long as their in control of Westminster regardless of the consequences?

9 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

I have it on very good authority that a Tory MSP when canvassing one of the more affluent areas, suggested to an elderly female voter that she should vote no, because "it would be a bad thing if the country was run by potheads and people from Dundee"

19 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

I have it on very good authority that a Tory MSP when canvassing one of the more affluent areas, suggested to an elderly female voter that she should vote no, because "it would be a bad thing if the country was run by potheads and people from Dundee"

Divide and rule?

A salient point.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

For everybody? 

I said previously that it should incorporate a rebate for folk below a certain limit if this were lawful.  I would certainly increase tax more for folks in different bandings if we had the power to do so but I understand that those powers do not exist under the existing legislation.  I am happy to be corrected if wrong.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I said previously that it should incorporate a rebate for folk below a certain limit if this were lawful.  I would certainly increase tax more for folks in different bandings if we had the power to do so but I understand that those powers do not exist under the existing legislation.  I am happy to be corrected if wrong.

So it's a wee bit more complicated then, right?

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I never at any point said it was simple.  You seem to be disagreeing for the sake of it.

No, I'm not disagreeing, I believe in a progressive tax system, I'm just saying that it's not as simple as just saying "raise income tax".  Especially in Scotland's circumstances where those with a second home in England could simply claim that as their main residence and avoid the Scottish rate altogether. Then there's the fact that we would have to rely on HMRC to police the taxpayers when there's no appetite there to do so.  Which makes things extremely difficult and raises the possibility of a complete disaster or at least an unpleasant outcome.  Which the Yoons would love.