General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Good of the Greens to help make a minority government work. Sensible and mature politics from them and the Greens and a sure sign that independence can bring a politics that this country deserves rather than the childish nonsense down south.

3 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

Certainties in life are death, taxes and under the SNP...more taxes.

It’s time Ruth, Kez and Willie started calling out the snp for the lie that their policies are designed to make life better in Scotland, when what they are doing is buying votes. Forget about the council tax freeze that’s gone now, but they have found a way to blame it on the councils now by taking with one hand and giving with a smaller hand. Too bad for the auld folk in care homes. Free Prescriptions are adored in suburbia where they are best able to afford prescription charges. Same for no tuition fees at uni. Fuck the colleges, where the less fortunate are more likely to attend, is the snp policy. The affluent can afford to send their kids to fee paying schools, where they get a great start in life, as there will be no tuition fees to pay at uni.

Is there any truth to the rumor the snp have more private school educated politicians than any other party.

36 minutes ago, hehawhehaw said:

It’s time Ruth, Kez and Willie started calling out the snp for the lie that their policies are designed to make life better in Scotland, when what they are doing is buying votes. Forget about the council tax freeze that’s gone now, but they have found a way to blame it on the councils now by taking with one hand and giving with a smaller hand. Too bad for the auld folk in care homes. Free Prescriptions are adored in suburbia where they are best able to afford prescription charges. Same for no tuition fees at uni. Fuck the colleges, where the less fortunate are more likely to attend, is the snp policy. The affluent can afford to send their kids to fee paying schools, where they get a great start in life, as there will be no tuition fees to pay at uni.

Is there any truth to the rumor the snp have more private school educated politicians than any other party.

U not been on the sauce yet Gordon.

This post almost makes sense.

Almost

According to Mr McKay I will only be paying more tax than my English colleagues to the equivilant of a prescription a week. In which case I've had one prescription in the past three years, where do I apply for my tax rebate, by the way nice letter from the Banff constituency party, take they'll be getting shut down soon. If they are so keen to represent the wishes of the people of Scotland, can they please do so on the clear understanding that we voted no in 2014 and get on with improving our public services rather than sabre rattling.

This shows exactly why having a decent number of Greens along with a minority government is a great thing. The SNP can be forced to the left to get bills passed, Labour and the Lib Dems can show themselves up as having no interest in constructive opposition and the Tories have a tantrum that the SNP aren't moving to the right instead, with Murdo Fraser crying about lentils, Mugabe and all manner of seething right-wing shite. That Salmond picture with the spoon is made for responding to him.

Labour really are making colossal tits of themselves on this, with Hothersall and friends bleating about the Greens betraying environmentalism in favour of being SNP patsies because the SNP want to cut Air Passenger Duty and the Greens are voting with them. That would perhaps be a reasonable criticism if powers over APD had actually been devolved yet and the Greens were voting to cut it by supporting this budget - it hasn't and they're not.

While the Greens get concessions from the SNP and get a budget through with more commitments to public spending than the SNP originally proposed, achieving a significant amount of funding for local councils - local government funding being Labour's particular favourite stick to beat the SNP at the moment, local government funding being helped by the Greens' efforts at constructive negotiation - Labour are wittering about the Greens not supporting their entirely non-binding amendment which would achieve absolutely nothing even if it passed, which it obviously wouldn't even with the Greens' support.

According to Mr McKay I will only be paying more tax than my English colleagues to the equivilant of a prescription a week. In which case I've had one prescription in the past three years, where do I apply for my tax rebate, by the way nice letter from the Banff constituency party, take they'll be getting shut down soon. If they are so keen to represent the wishes of the people of Scotland, can they please do so on the clear understanding that we voted no in 2014 and get on with improving our public services rather than sabre rattling.
Conveniently omitted the other pluses,like when your children attend further education,or you need personal care. Good luck on your rebate.

20 minutes ago, ddfg said:

If you're worried about the hit of 2 pints a week and in the higher rate tax bracket, you should really talk to your accountant or buy a home brew kit.

Edited by welshbairn